I'm not sure whether these projects are all feasible, but they would be awesome if I could pull it off. I'd have to buckle down for the land submission, though its in the middle of summer so I have a lot of time on my hands. Here are my preliminary ideas:

Land Submission: This will unfortunately be the hardest one to make, compounded with the fact that I only have one week remaining. I will attempt to make a highway time-trial style game in which the object is to make it from one end of a highway to another as quickly as possible. The highway will have numerous cars and obstacles which, if touched, will immediately disqualify you. Faster times and *other things I haven't thought of yet* will yield you money which can be used to buy new cars and upgrades. The obstacles and other cars will differ each run. I would like to include as many as 30-40 different cars. What makes this hard: Obviously the most difficult thing will be making numerous sprites for different angles of the car, and having that affect collision detection. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Water Submission: I haven't thought more than a few minutes on this, but I was thinking a kind of first person version of my land submission, but instead of just avoiding obstacles you are also following various ICW (Intercontinental Waterway) markers and keeping your eyes on other cues while navigating your boat (Should it be just your average joe skiff? Or would I need to make it a ferry to tie into the "transport" aspect?) What makes this hard: I will have to make a lot of sprites for each of the objects and their varying distances. You can't use the same sprite when one is supposed to be from 20 feet and the other from 300 feet.

Air Submission: Listen up folks, I'm making a flight simulator. It won't be nearly as hard as you might think. It won't have a "ground" texture exactly, but it will display a horizon line that is filled in below (or above) it. I think I might have the ground color vary based on your altitude. It will contain tons of sexy data on the side like altitude, speed, pitch, yaw, roll, and give you some pretty dope controls. I'm not sure what else I can really add to it, except maybe some clouds to use as reference points. Ideas? What makes this hard: It's a flight simulator, so physics + aerodynamics + controls is going to be a ride.

I'll post more as I code. Since I'm out of school, I should have some more info before the day's out.

EDIT: ICE's only-positive-integers thing is gonna make this grrrRRRREAT FUN!
CalcMeister wrote:

According to PT_, this may not always be the case, after a lot of nagging from me, he might end up implementing a method of declaring types of variables, which would include floats. This would only be in a while from now, which means for now, 3-byte integers is all you've got.
mr womp womp wrote:
CalcMeister wrote:

According to PT_, this may not always be the case, after a lot of nagging from me, he might end up implementing a method of declaring types of variables, which would include floats. This would only be in a while from now, which means for now, 3-byte integers is all you've got.

I'll live.

In regards to my flight simulator, I think that just flying is going to be boring after a while. Can anyone think of a relatively simple goal to achieve in the game? (keeping in mind that I don't have access to any image rotating/aspect-ratio-changing libraries)
You have to pass checkpoints. Easy, simple, fun!
How about traveling a distance with a limited amount of fuel. Then people will have to think about fuel efficiency. Maybe add some obstacles in the way. Also, people could have to takeoff/land (I don't know if you were going to add that) and that could make them crash...

Edit: could someone move this thread to the contest section

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours