Welcome to my development thread for Contest 20, Transit Time. I will be participating in this contest. It is the first I have been involved in so let us see how this works out for me. I hope everyone else is doing good so far... you guys really are... and wish you all good luck on Contest 20!!!

My Ideas
Land► I am planning on making a 2D racing game which will have 3 maps(Easy, Medium, Hard) where you will be able to record your best times on each track. There will be 6 cars, you start out with the default one and then you can buy better cars with faster speed and turning ability. You earn money by racing, depending on which map you are racing on, there will be prizes for 1st through 6th place. This game is a lot like Formula Racing 2D but it is not the same. There will also be an option to do practice races where you can time yourself to see how fast you can go around one of the 3 tracks without any competition.

Sea► For my Sea based entry, I will be making a game where you are a pirate and you fight against other pirates with cannons. You start out with the default ship and you have to shoot down other pirate ships. This game will be 2D so everything will be from the bird's eye view just like in my land entry. You get money for destroying and sinking other ships. If you destroy higher level ships than you get more money. You will have to travel to the main island because that it the only place where you can buy ships and other supplies. There is no end to the game because you just continue to shoot down other ships and get money.

Air► My idea for my Air entry is not yet confirmed... But I am thinking along the lines of having a shooting game where you have to shoot down other planes. You earn money to buy better planes... or maybe some military based theme (in tribute to Pieman) where you have missions that you have to complete. They might include shooting other planes or bombing cities. Or another option for me is to do what _iPhoenix_ said... to have an air traveling company where you earn money by flying passengers to other places and you have to keep your customer satisfaction up. So that would be some business related program...

Leave a post below to let me know which idea I should choose for my Air entry or maybe a suggestion for my Land or Sea entries.
I would make your air game plane-based warfare. Shoot down other planes and avoid air mines. Bombing cities... that doesn't necessarily scream the theme of transportation to me.
I haven't thought about my air entry yet, but I may try something first person...
Here are the 3 tracks for my racing game! I just finished them and now I'm working on making them into real tilemaps.
Lvl. Easy Track

Lvl. Medium Track

Lvl. Hard Track

To Do List:
Things to do►
▪Create tilemaps for the maps above
▪Make the main menu
▪Add the money system
▪Somehow manage to add the other racers... (I'm not sure how to do that)
Things Done►
The maps...

I have a lot to complete... I will add a gif once I finish the main menu and add the track.
Awesome!

One of my friends wants me to make a racing game out of various stages of the Hilbert Curve, and your tracks reminded me of that.

It could be time trials, instead of racing, if the AI gets in your way.

(on a computer I would tell you to just write a neural network, train it ~20000 iterations, and call that an AI but on a calculator, that's not feasible. Instead, I recommend hard coding directions around tracks, with say, 6 different times, and pick randomly from the instructions at the beginning of each lap)
OK, massive update to my land entry idea. I'm basically going to be creating this completely different program that has nothing to do with racing. Due to some complications with having the other cars move around the track by themselves, I have decided to make a single player type game. If you have ever heard of the game Hill Climb Racing, this game will be a lot like it. There will be different vehicles you will be able to buy and if I get time, I will add different maps. I have 1 week to do this now so I'm probably not going to go to sleep over the weekend.
Edit: I have been working a lot and messing around with C. This is going to be a lot harder than I thought it would. Well, I did think it was hard in the beginning. I might just turn in some not very good program but I'm going to put up with the Hill Climb Racing port. Boy, I have no idea what I'm putting myself in but I know it's going to be something bad. Good Luck Everyone!!!
So my land entry did not go very well. I decided not to upload it to the archives because it was that bad Razz. I'm probably only going to do the sea entry which will be with the pirates... I am currently working on the tilemap and will porgram this in C... which is going to be very difficult for me because I know 0 C. I saw some pretty good land entries though, they were actually really nice. Good job everyone and good luck with the next 2 contest entries. I will add a image of the tilemap very soon once I finish the maps and stuff.
TheGeekyScientist wrote:
So my land entry did not go very well. I decided not to upload it to the archives because it was that bad Razz. I'm probably only going to do the sea entry which will be with the pirates... I am currently working on the tilemap and will porgram this in C... which is going to be very difficult for me because I know 0 C. I saw some pretty good land entries though, they were actually really nice. Good job everyone and good luck with the next 2 contest entries. I will add a image of the tilemap very soon once I finish the maps and stuff.

hmm, maybe instead of attempting to make an entirely new program, could you just tweak the looks (and of course improve the overall experience) so it will be a boat racing game?

EDIT: Is that against the rules?
TheLastMillennial wrote:
TheGeekyScientist wrote:
So my land entry did not go very well. I decided not to upload it to the archives because it was that bad Razz. I'm probably only going to do the sea entry which will be with the pirates... I am currently working on the tilemap and will porgram this in C... which is going to be very difficult for me because I know 0 C. I saw some pretty good land entries though, they were actually really nice. Good job everyone and good luck with the next 2 contest entries. I will add an image of the tilemap very soon once I finish the maps and stuff.

hmm, maybe instead of attempting to make an entirely new program, could you just tweak the looks (and of course improve the overall experience) so it will be a boat racing game?

EDIT: Is that against the rules?

Well see my last program was not a racing game... it was some driving simulator. I changed my idea because I figured it would be hard to add competition to a racing game. Especially because I was using tilemaps. Last night I was up for a long time making my game but it didn't work. By that time it was 11:45 so I just turned in my back up but didn't upload to the archives because it was that bad. a racing boat game could be interesting... though I'm already working on this game and I'm going to put up with it because I don't want to keep changing my game ideas.
Ok so after reading the Contest 20 rules again, I have come to know that you can create a program in any language you would like. So I thought about html5. I got to work and I tweaked my idea a bit. My original idea was to have some sort of story to the game and make it like an RPG. But I don't really want to make an RPG. So I decided to make a platformer game with a story to it. So you are an octopus and you need to transport a cube that was found in the ocean to a temple that is hidden in an underwater dimension that humans don't know about. You must transport the cube to the temple. On this platformer, there will be levels in which you have to pass in order to make it to the temple. I know this sounds like a cringy game but you must transport the cube so it works out Very Happy.HTML5 has been really working great for me so far and I might as well make my air entry also in HTML5. I wish I could go back in time and make my land entry in HTML5 Razz.

EDIT:
Here is a preview of what I have so far with the platformer stuff. I've figured out how it works and stuff so now Ima get working on the gui and more levels.
https://youtu.be/1g-HXCsW6A0
Those graphics are nice! Did you make them?
No, I did not. I am not very good at making graphics. I got them from here http://www.kenney.nl/assets. They have all sorts of great graphics for games that are completely free! Though the GUI menu and button are made by me even though you can't see them in the video... I watched a video on how to make these cool bubble like buttons and they look great Very Happy
Some of those sprites are really good... dang!

Also, how does this relate to air or sea? The land realm thingie is over Sad
It is in a dimension under the sea... you're an octopus... I know it doesn't look like your under the sea but you are... The dimension is located in some weird hidden cave thing I guess and no human as ever discovered it Razz... think about it that way.
Here is another preview for my contest entry. I got the enemy stuff done now and I made it that once you hit the enemy you flash for 2 seconds. I will add sound effects soon too but I still got to get working on the GUI.
https://youtu.be/tp6eIvETSvo
Things I still have to do:
Make the HUD
Make the GUI
Add sound effects
And a ton of other stuff
Hey, that's lookin pretty good! Are you going to be going though random levels or custom levels like mario?
Well, I'm not sure about custom levels because this is in HTML5 and I have no idea how to do that... but for sure there will be levels. Also, that link in my previous post is the wrong one Razz it is actually this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsAgXiiBPb0. There will be coins and stuff which I am working on right now. I expect this to be done by tomorrow night.
EDIT: Due to some complications with time and stuff, I won't be able to finish the game... I have a backup though so all is good. Once it is done I will post a gif... I will be done very soon!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours