Cemetech Contest #20, Transit Time is all about different modes of transport. The development of transportation technologies has facilitated modern life by enabling the spread of people, goods, and ideas. Computerization has further advanced transportation, improving safety, efficiency, and ease of operation, along with many other aspects. By encouraging Cemetech members to create programs centered around a multitude of transportation modes, Transit Time celebrates the positive impact that transportation has on our lives.

Transit Time will be divided into three two-week segments, each focusing on one of the three realms in which transportation commonly takes place (land, water, and air). For each segment of the contest, you must choose a mode of transport for that realm, and create a program that is somehow related to your choice. Additionally, contestants may choose to create an entry for the realm of space, in lieu of one of the three traditional realms.

At the end of each two-week period, contestants must submit their programs for the respective realm. The winning program for each realm will be selected by a poll of Cemetech users, with the creator receiving a $10 Steam credit. At the conclusion of the contest, an overall winner will be selected by a panel of judges. The overall winner will receive a (additional) $20 gift certificate. Entries for all platforms, and in any programming language will be accepted.

Contest timeline
▪ June 24th: Contest begins
▪ July 8th: Land submissions due
▪ July 22nd: Water submissions due
▪ August 5th: Air submissions due

Notes
▪ Please maintain a contest thread documenting the progress of your entries.
▪ Entries must be submitted by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the dates listed above.
▪ You may receive help from other Cemetech members, provided that communication is done publicly through the forum or through SAX/IRC.
▪ Fine print rules can be found here.

EDIT: Winners can opt to receive a different gift card or item of equivalent value.

EDIT 2: Please submit your entry by emailing it to "contest" at this website's domain, and by uploading it to the Cemetech archives. Once your program has been accepted into the archives, please post a link to it in your contest thread.
Woo, I like it! Very Happy Already have some ideas, so let's start soon Smile
Crud, I'm going on vacation...

I guess I'll have to do contest 21 Crying

Anyways, good luck to everyone who participates, as this seems like a very interesting contest!

I will try to participate in the polls, if I can, though.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Crud, I'm going on vacation...

I guess I'll have to do contest 21 Crying

If you are not going to miss the entire contest, you can still compete in an individual realm. You (probably) won't be eligible for the overall prize, but you can still qualify for one of the $10 prizes.
Would I be allowed to, say, start my air entry now and submit it when due, and only participate in the air section?
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Would I be allowed to, say, start my air entry now and submit it when due, and only participate in the air section?

Yes, that is acceptable.
jonbush wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

Yes, that is acceptable.

Does that mean that we have to make a program for air, land, and water? So we need to make 3 programs?
TheGeekyScientist wrote:
jonbush wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

Yes, that is acceptable.

Does that mean that we have to make a program for air, land, and water? So we need to make 3 programs?

You can make one, two, or three programs. However, if you don't submit programs for all three realms, your chance of winning the grand prize is diminished.
I am probably (maybe) going to participate, but i just started working and i am trying to do all the stuff so i can enlist in the army, so i might not be able to finish all of the entries. I will still try to at least start some of them Smile
This thing sounds cool! I'm in! Very Happy
I'll try to make all three programs, but I also have to finish up the Oregon Trail Smile
Can you win in all 3 categories and also win the grand prize so that way you could win a total of 50 dollars?
TheGeekyScientist wrote:
Can you win in all 3 categories and also win the grand prize so that way you could win a total of 50 dollars?

Yes, that could possibly happen, but I think it is pretty unlikely.
I think I'll have a go at this. I have an idea for land and air, but not for water... yet.

This'll also let me stress-test AAIONIA to see how well it actually functions
Should be program/game be related to transport, or just land/sea/air?
PT_ wrote:
Should be program/game be related to transport, or just land/sea/air?

The program/game should be related to a mode of transport, such as train, car, ship, helicopter, etc.
We should submit our entries to contest [at] this website's domain, correct?
dankcalculatorbro wrote:
We should submit our entries to contest [at] this website's domain, correct?

To submit your entry, please upload it to the Cemetech archives (make sure to include a README file in the zip), and post a link to the download once it has been uploaded. Also send it to contest at this website's domain. I will edit the first post to reflect this information.

I apologize for the slow reply. I'm on vacation in Upstate New York, and I haven't had much time at the computer.
I'm in, although a bit short on time for the first entry because I just got back from vacation. This looks fun!
I will be submitting a (crappy) land entry!

I won't tell anyone anything about it, for their own good...

Edit:

Will there be wooden trophies thingies handed out, and how? (By section, overall, etc)
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I will be submitting a (crappy) land entry!

I won't tell anyone anything about it, for their own good...

Edit:

Will there be wooden trophies thingies handed out, and how? (By section, overall, etc)

There may be trophies handed out. Depending on cost, I may do them for each category, or just one for the grand prize.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours