Who would be willing to participate in an event like this?
Yes, Definately
 50%  [ 8 ]
Definately Not
 12%  [ 2 ]
Maybe
 37%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 16

So as we know, we moved away from PvP last server. I do know there are some people who miss the PvP aspect, but don't miss the constant, brutal, unregulated aspect of it. So, like I've done with PvP events in my town, I've been thinking of trying to organize full server PvP events at certain times, and coordinate with other towns/nations to create a "Server War" event, which could become a cemetech youtube series. Basically here's how it works:

- We decide on a time and day. The event always lasts one hour.
- Leading up the event, town members place a few chests around their town, filled with rewards, and mark these chests clearly.
- At the start of the event, pvp in the participating towns is turned on. Players in the towns have to defend the rewards chests, and any player not participating in the event should remain indoors or out of the way during the event.
- You may "loot" from the rewards chest but from NO other unmarked chest in the town you're in. You also may not steal anyone's armor or weapons, and should leave it somewhere they can retrieve it.
- When the time limit is up, pvp in the participating towns is turned off and the event is over.
- Record if you chose to and you can upload, or if the admins want to create this as a youtube series for cemetech-mc, they can pull excerpts from everyone's recordings into episodes. Smile

If you do want to give this event a try, send me a message in game and we'll talk Smile
Usually I am busy working on events in VO, so my minecraft side has sat in the dust for a while. If you host the event some time when im not busy, maybe I could participate or at least watch. Using discord for a Voice Chat server?
I think this could be an interesting concept. Would we be allowed to go full boar on gear and items? Would make things more interesting.
rivereye wrote:
I think this could be an interesting concept. Would we be allowed to go full boar on gear and items? Would make things more interesting.

I would think so. My thought was to make it as if it were full on pvp, but with restrictions and a time limit.
I think we should do it. Though if I want to participate, I'll have to find out what my minecraft password is because I haven't played in a long time.
Well I'd certainly organize such an event with willing players/towns, if the admins are ok with it.
Perhaps it could be on top of the rail map, and someone can be on top (glass platform) and record and aerial view.
ACagliano wrote:
if the admins are ok with it.

Just as long as players still know we're a PvE server and that no PvP elements extend beyond the time limit of the event. Perhaps by making players who opt-in to the event wear certain gear (dyed leather?) so participants can quickly identify those who are and are not playing; I personally think requesting non-participanting players to remain indoors or away from their towns during such an event unfair but I'm not dismissing or prohibiting the idea, same the armor idea.

You plan to make a single chest the target for the PvP, which is great.
No theft of player items upon death or other chests is fantastic. These will still be subject to the rules.
Hmm, had a idea for how to mark who is playing and who is not.
So, when you buy items from a chest shop, if you don't have enough space in your inventory, the item will go into your head slot, even if it shouldn't normally be able to.
We could design a PvP banner and set up a shop for it in each town, and participants would wear the banners on their heads to distinguish them from non-participants.
saaaaay, do we have a discord for the minecraft server here?

regarding wearing banners on your head... That sounds so weird. lets do it!
Alex wrote:
ACagliano wrote:
if the admins are ok with it.

Just as long as players still know we're a PvE server and that no PvP elements extend beyond the time limit of the event. Perhaps by making players who opt-in to the event wear certain gear (dyed leather?) so participants can quickly identify those who are and are not playing; I personally think requesting non-participanting players to remain indoors or away from their towns during such an event unfair but I'm not dismissing or prohibiting the idea, same the armor idea.

You plan to make a single chest the target for the PvP, which is great.
No theft of player items upon death or other chests is fantastic. These will still be subject to the rules.

Perhaps make all players wear this armor, and use the sword provided. (the command places a hopper that has it in it)

Code:
/setblock ~ ~2 ~ minecraft:hopper 0 replace {CustomName:Cemetech MC PVP Gear!,Items:[{Slot:0,id:"minecraft:leather_helmet",Count:1b,tag:{Unbreakable:1,ench:[{id:0,lvl:5},{id:71,lvl:1}],display:{color:16776960}}},{Slot:1,id:"minecraft:leather_chestplate",Count:1b,tag:{Unbreakable:1,ench:[{id:0,lvl:5},{id:71,lvl:1}],display:{color:16776960}}},{Slot:2,id:"minecraft:leather_leggings",Count:1b,tag:{Unbreakable:1,ench:[{id:0,lvl:5},{id:71,lvl:1}],display:{color:16776960}}},{Slot:3,id:"minecraft:leather_boots",Count:1b,tag:{Unbreakable:1,ench:[{id:0,lvl:5},{id:2,lvl:5},{id:8,lvl:1},{id:71,lvl:1}],display:{color:16776960}}},{Slot:4,id:"minecraft:iron_sword",Count:1b,tag:{Unbreakable:1,display:{Name:"Death Metal",Lore:["._."]},ench:[{id:16,lvl:2},{id:19,lvl:1},{id:20,lvl:1},{id:71,lvl:1}]}}]}

I did some basic testing against zombies wearing the gear, and it seemed pretty balanced.

I chose a color that one cannot get in vanilla. At least I hope I did...

I think that a separate, superflat world should be made, with a world border at ~500 blocks and

I think that all items in your inv should be cleared once you enter the arena, to keep it fair.

I think that the admins could just set up a clock under the arena floor, connected to a command block, which keeps placing the hopper down, which produces the items.

The curse of vanishing means that you drop nothing upon death, but perhaps a scoreboard could be set up to count kills? (use the following commands)

Code:
/scoreboard objectives add killCount playerKillCount Kills
/scoreboard objectives setdisplay sidebar killCount
/scoreboard objectives setdisplay belowName killCount

And to keep track of kdr, use:

Code:
/scoreboard objectives add deathCounter deathCount Deaths
/scoreboard objectives setdisplay sidebar deathCounter
/scoreboard objectives setdisplay belowName deathCounter

Perhaps the last two commands could cycle through, like this.

The top few people could get a small prize, perhaps, nothing too grand.
Added in numbered bullets so I can address each point better:

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
  1. I think that a separate, superflat world should be made, with a world border at ~500 blocks and
  2. I think that all items in your inv should be cleared once you enter the arena, to keep it fair.
  3. I think that the admins could just set up a clock under the arena floor, connected to a command block, which keeps placing the hopper down, which produces the items.
  4. The curse of vanishing means that you drop nothing upon death

1. I think the draw to a PvP match is that players can test the strengths of their own town. Maybe players have crafted a gate that they can close and open. So PvP allows them to see how effective it is. I certainly see this satisfying some sort of itch among the player base. Doing this in a super flat world - or a new world altogether - is incredibly boring. Players will need to create a new town which will take way longer than an hour.
  2. I think this goes along with #1, assuming players entered another world but I disagree. Players shouldn't be exploring with items they are not willing to lose. That said, a players items are off-limits during the PvP events if they die.
  3. I think maybe there are some assumptions being made here. Why do I need to provide items? An undye-able color shouldn't matter. Leather Armor is so low on the totem pole for armor and new members can grab Gold armor from the spawn shop. I can't imagine a player willingly wearing leather armor unless if it was for an event. Colored armor could be a great way to discern between teams.
  4. I was under the impression Curse of Vanishing deletes the particular item when it's dropped upon death. But other items will still drop. Those two Curse enchantments together could be a good way to make a "hardcore" PvP thing where players with this armor are willing participants.
I'm not really a pvp'er, so I guess my idea of "fun PVP" is gererally pretty much the opposite of others'.

Rolling Eyes
There are different versions of PvP, surely. The majority is what Acag has been doing, pitting players against players in a small arena. He plans to broaden that and make the server the arena. So to move the "arena" to a new world would defeat the idea.

Server-Wide PvP isn't my idea of fun either but I recognize the challenges and the merits gained from it. Smile
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I'm not really a pvp'er, so I guess my idea of "fun PVP" is gererally pretty much the opposite of others'.

Rolling Eyes

I am the exact same way. I like PVP, but I don't like losing all of my hard-earned stuff.
I had an idea to address some of the concerns/suggestions brought up. @commandblockguy I remember asking if ArenaHelper could be expanded to support multi-town events. *If* this is doable, we could do something like this.

Plugin Expansion
/pvp register --- The issuing player creates a pvp event as normal.
/pvp event type full -- The event becomes a full-server event. The event admin can add a town using /pvp event addtown [townname].
At this point, the town becomes an arena with pvp set to on, and then the following message gets broadcast to all members of the town that was just added.
"Your town has just joined a pvp event. To opt out, please type /pvp optout", which then toggles PVP off for that player. That way players who don't want to participate are safe, players who are involved get the plugin's keep inventory services, and we can even use the plugin to manage what chest is allowed to be raided. This also would mean that players can use death traps to defend said chests, as victims would keep their inventory. This would also allow us to allow usage of whatever tools, weapons we want.
Did a bit of thinking about how to implement this in the simplest way, without requiring revisions to existing town builds. Towns could create a 2x2 or 2x3 area adjacent to their existing land, but out of the way and create a structure, work together to develop locks, security, etc. This area would then be set to an arena, allowing ArenaHelper to activate when players PvP in that area (with some slight modification to ArenaHelper).

Now an issue I've been debating is how to give towns the resources to make this area, as plots don't come cheap. I came up with two possible solutions:

1. Some towns have spare land, others do not and would need to purchase more land for this event. Maybe, admins could give participating towns a stipend, allowing them to purchase either a 2x2 or 2x3 area of land for this event.

2. Move away from towny completely for this and let participating towns create an "arena" using ArenaHelper. We could give the plugin the ability to protect the structure during the event and then drop those protections once the event ends. A town owner would have to register for the server war event and designate plots adjacent to the town as that town's "arena", and then perhaps we can get ArenaHelper to remember those designations.

##################

Another idea I had, to further protect towns from players grabbing stuff from the wrong chest is to let ArenaHelper be able to detect a chest named in an anvil with a special string, like "EventChest", and to allow players in the event to only access those chests and deny all others.

##################

The two remaining questions I have are:
1. To commandblockguy, if ArenaHelper can be expanded in such a way, and
2. To everyone else: What do we suggest for players not in a town, but who want to participate?
Perhaps a temporary warp spot? Once the event starts, it would get removed.
ACagliano wrote:
The two remaining questions I have are:
1. To commandblockguy, if ArenaHelper can be expanded in such a way

I think another question should be if the the mods/admins want the plugin to be expanded. I have a few questions, concerns and, statements:

Quote:
Maybe, admins could give participating towns a stipend, allowing them to purchase either a 2x2 or 2x3 area of land for this event.

Nope.

Quote:
Move away from towny completely for this and let participating towns create an "arena" using ArenaHelper. We could give the plugin the ability to protect the structure during the event and then drop those protections once the event ends. A town owner would have to register for the server war event and designate plots adjacent to the town as that town's "arena", and then perhaps we can get ArenaHelper to remember those designations.

What prevents abuse? What's stopping a town from constantly starting a PvP match to gain free protection?

Quote:
Another idea I had, to further protect towns from players grabbing stuff from the wrong chest is to let ArenaHelper be able to detect a chest named in an anvil with a special string, like "EventChest", and to allow players in the event to only access those chests and deny all others.

I like this idea better. Still same concern as above but a single chest isn't too bad compared to a plots.
Alex wrote:

I think another question should be if the the mods/admins want the plugin to be expanded. I have a few questions, concerns and, statements:
well that would go without say.

Alex wrote:

Nope.
i thought so. Just a passing idea.

Alex wrote:

What prevents abuse? What's stopping a town from constantly starting a PvP match to gain free protection?

We could set it that only certain people could start an event of that type.

Alex wrote:

I like this idea better. Still same concern as above but a single chest isn't too bad compared to a plots.
Agreed. The issue is the more intricate you make something, the more room for exploitation you create. The simplest thing to do is allow ArenaHelper to activate in the arenas of multiple towns if a "server" event is active and allow it to mark event chests. And participants would have to handle the rest on their own.

Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours