1. How do you make a program edit another program?

2. How do you display a number sprite?

EDIT: I forgot I already posted about #1.

edit by Alex on June 22nd, 2017: Moved this topic to a more appropriate location, also adjusted the title to be more descriptive.
mets11rap wrote:

I'll try to answer these as succinctly as I can.

1) in pure basic, you can't, in asm, you just do, in hybrid, see some documentation.

2) If you mean just displaying a number (which I guess is technically a sprite, then the output(), Disp, Pause and Text() commands can do it, if you don't know how to use those, there is a tibasicdev page about each of these commands which are linked to here.
If you mean a sprite that you have created that represents a number, then there are many ways, here are the best ones for ti-basic on the ti-83/84 series:
mr womp womp wrote:
mets11rap wrote:

1) in pure basic, you can't, in asm, you just do, in hybrid, see some documentation.

2) If you mean just displaying a number (which I guess is technically a sprite, then the output(), Disp, Pause and Text() commands can do it, if you don't know how to use those, there is a tibasicdev page about each of these commands which are linked to here.
If you mean a sprite that you have created that represents a number, then there are many ways, here are the best ones for ti-basic on the ti-83/84 series:

You know how a number sprite is shown in the editor for a program with a DCSE icon? I want to know if you can normally display those in your program.
mets11rap wrote:
mr womp womp wrote:
mets11rap wrote:

You know how a number sprite is shown in the editor for a program with a DCSE icon? I want to know if you can normally display those in your program.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, do you mean the 256 hexadecimal characters on the 2nd line of every DoorsCSE programs that has an icon?
If so, there is a celtic commands that can display a sprite stored as hex in your code, but it displays it in full res, so using it in half-res will be tricky (every pixel on the actual sprite will actually be 2 pixels horizontally, which means you will have to squish the actual sprite so that it displays unsquished in half-res)
The command is BufSprite and it is used as follows:
det(9,width,X,Y), Str9=sprite data
You only need to specify the width, because it can figure out the height with the width and the number of characters in the string.
In some code I've made, I needed to display a radioactivity symbol and since it was the only sprite I had to display in the entire program, I decided it was not worth having an entire spritesheet dedicated to it (since that would occupy an entire 8kb, and require a 2nd file to be paired with the program), so I used bufsprite and squished it so that it would work in half-res. Here is how I did it, it's very simple.

Code:
"33FFF3333E6AAF3336AAAAF3FAAAAA63FAAAA3A3633AA33EA33AF33F6336F33F6FF36FFFAAAF6AAF666F666FF6633663F6633663366336F33F666F3333FFF333->Str9
det(9,8,270,10

Here is what it looks like when you actually convert the sprite data into colors to make an image:

As you can see, its a radioactivity symbol, but squished. However, since the calc is in half-res mode, the symbol appears to be circular, as intended.

Hope this answers your question Smile
mr womp womp wrote:
mets11rap wrote:
mr womp womp wrote:
mets11rap wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, do you mean the 256 hexadecimal characters on the 2nd line of every DoorsCSE programs that has an icon?
If so, there is a celtic commands that can display a sprite stored as hex in your code, but it displays it in full res, so using it in half-res will be tricky (every pixel on the actual sprite will actually be 2 pixels horizontally, which means you will have to squish the actual sprite so that it displays unsquished in half-res)
The command is BufSprite and it is used as follows:
det(9,width,X,Y), Str9=sprite data
You only need to specify the width, because it can figure out the height with the width and the number of characters in the string.
In some code I've made, I needed to display a radioactivity symbol and since it was the only sprite I had to display in the entire program, I decided it was not worth having an entire spritesheet dedicated to it (since that would occupy an entire 8kb, and require a 2nd file to be paired with the program), so I used bufsprite and squished it so that it would work in half-res. Here is how I did it, it's very simple.

Code:
"33FFF3333E6AAF3336AAAAF3FAAAAA63FAAAA3A3633AA33EA33AF33F6336F33F6FF36FFFAAAF6AAF666F666FF6633663F6633663366336F33F666F3333FFF333->Str9
det(9,8,270,10

Here is what it looks like when you actually convert the sprite data into colors to make an image:

As you can see, its a radioactivity symbol, but squished. However, since the calc is in half-res mode, the symbol appears to be circular, as intended.

Hope this answers your question Smile

What program is that?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours