The code is like 5 lines, you get what I'm going for here. I'm pretty sure I did the scanf correctly, I don't know why the if won't work, I tried " and ' and & but its not working

Code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main() {
 char name[20];
 printf("Enter your name: \n");
 scanf(" %s", name);
 if (name == 'Eric') {
    printf("Your name is Eric");
 }
    return 0;
}
In C, you need to explicitly invoke a comparison function to get the logical comparison result for any type other than a primitive number type (ex. int, float). In the case of strings, the function you want is strcmp, defined in header <string.h>.
And why you need strcmp: the type of name in the comparison is char*, and "Eric" is also of type char*. You're checking whether the pointers point to the same thing, which will always be false in this case.
Yes as mentioned strcmp is the function that you are after:

int strcmp(const char *str1, const char *str2)

strcmp returns 0 when the strings are equal, a negative integer when str1 is less than str2, or a positive integer if str1 is greater than str2, according to the lexicographical order.

So it would be:

if(strcmp(name, "Eric") == 0) {
printf("Your name is Eric");
}

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours