TheGeekyScientist wrote:

Well. That sounds like an interesting competition... Though how many people would want to participate... because we all know who the winner is going to be... cough* Mateo cough* cough*

For whichever idea is selected to work in this contest, the conceiver of that idea is going to have an advantage, so the best idea is one that everyone can work with (not to denounce Salad's idea)Razz

How 'bout a sports game? Like basket-ball or tennis Question
Zixcoder wrote:
TheGeekyScientist wrote:

Well. That sounds like an interesting competition... Though how many people would want to participate... because we all know who the winner is going to be... cough* Mateo cough* cough*

For whichever idea is selected to work in this contest, the conceiver of that idea is going to have an advantage, so the best idea is one that everyone can work with (not to denounce Salad's idea)Razz

Well, what we could do is give a topic like they usually do. Like winter, cats, ext. Maybe we should do something summer related... unless we have already done a competition on that.
TheGeekyScientist wrote:
Zixcoder wrote:

Well, what we could do is give a topic like they usually do. Like winter, cats, ext. Maybe we should do something summer related... unless we have already done a competition on that.

A summer-sport game? Idea
Perhaps a screensaver contest? they are relatively simple. (maybe too simple)
Caleb_J wrote:
Perhaps a screensaver contest? they are relatively simple. (maybe too simple)

Well, that depends on the type of screensaver... Razz
If simply creating a good screen saver did turn out to be too easy, maybe part of the contest could be making it take up as little memory as possible.
I like the idea of a card or board game, card would probably be easier and even gives people the chance to design graphics for the cards.
How about we have some beach/topical style game? It's summer now so...
CC21 just ended, and all of the recent talk about this contest made me think about what the next contest could be like. (Once that happens, it shouldn't be right away, because CC21 just finished)

I propose a contest based around fire.

Entries should involve the useful (not destructive) aspects of fire. We use fire for heating, lighting (more common in the 1800's, I guess), cooking, etc.
TheGeekyScientist wrote:

There is still snow on the ground, not yet summer.
timedia wrote:
TheGeekyScientist wrote:

There is still snow on the ground, not yet summer.

You should have looked at the day he posted before making that post. June 2017. Summer.

Contribution to topic:
The 100% Basic, 100% C, 100% ASM, 100% AXE, and 100% ICE contest plan or whatever is a good idea, but you see, I added AXE in. I don't think it should just be for the CE. (ICE=CE AXE=monochrome) A question is whether it will all start and end at the same time or have each one have a section.

I'd make a longer contest next time, because people sometimes complained about not having enough time to do their submissions.
Some other ideas: Animal themed games, games with AI, mazes, and programs/games based on TV shows, books, or movies.

Or, a seasonal themed contest. Like what TheGeekyScientist mentioned, although that was just for summer. A contest made of 4 parts, one for each season.

We could also have a much shorter contest that's one week long, and have it be much simpler.
TheGeekyScientist wrote:

That would be amazing! Lol Sahil is actually Turkish for beach. I was born to be a part of a cemetech contest with a tropical topic. Or terrible pun-wise, a hot topic Very Happy
How about a contest where you remake a game boy game (color, etc) or a saga game onto the ti-84 plus ce
Alvajoy123 wrote:
How about a contest where you remake a game boy game (color, etc) or a saga game onto the ti-84 plus ce

or how about a Commodore 64 game? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
What about a team-based challenge, with collaboration? I usually dislike working in groups, but I wouldn't mind working with the vast majority of Cemetechians, as long as the groups were small perhaps three at most.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
What about a team-based challenge, with collaboration? I usually dislike working in groups, but I wouldn't mind working with the vast majority of Cemetechians, as long as the groups were small perhaps three at most.

Now that's an Idea!
#IceNightsWithLAXandBeck Razz
I'm thinking of 3 entries of the competition split into 2 week intervals (kind of like CC20).
Any calculator is accepted, but no computer programs.
Each entry is split into 2 categories: BASIC/ Hybrid BASIC, C/ASM/AXE/ICE
Teams of up to 2 or 3 people are allowed. (Personally I'm leaning toward 3 people)

Since it's summer again (at least in the US), we could do the land, water, air themes like beach, ocean, and passenger airplanes. Those themes seem kinda weak though, someone can probably come up with some better themes.
Perhaps we could make the challenge of the competition to create the best AI for a multiplayer game? Bonus points if the game can be played with 2 or more calcs at the same time.
Yeah I think a board game would be doable perhaps?

Or a game based on the elements could be interesting too as suggested already.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Yeah I think a board game would be doable perhaps?

Or a game based on the elements could be interesting too as suggested already.

What if we did them based on the classical elements (Fire, Air, Earth, and Water, optionally Aether), perhaps as a "2,000 year throwback"? We could require 8-bit graphics!

Perhaps we could have teams of four, and each team would choose a general idea. Each team member would pick an element and create a program relating to the general idea. There would have to be collaboration because the programs have to be related somehow.

I'll propose a system for scoring:
Projects would be scored individually and averaged. That would be a team's "base score".
Then, a team would get points for how well the programs are related to each other, as a way of measuring collaboration.
I think programs should be scored for their own individual merit, as opposed to on an actual rigid scoring system. In my opinion, this lets programs be more creative. (For example, a relatively fast, well optimized, and complex TI-BASIC program should be scored relatively high, which is about the same that a ICE/C/Assembly program that has great graphics and a good UI would be scored.)
If this or some variant of it gets chosen as an idea, I'm requesting that I be a judge. :)
I also think that we should have a decent amount of time for this contest, if it is chosen, so members can do more complicated things. I personally tend to pick tasks that are probably we above what I can realistically do in the time I am given[1] [2], yet somehow manage to do it anyways. Unfortunately, this leaves me burnt out with very little interest in even looking at my calculator for weeks. If I am given more time, I can spread out my time working on the project procrastinate longer.
Just found this thread, and I wanted to revive it (mostly because I really liked Cemetech Contest 22 and am somewhat better at programming now). Here's my idea:

This would be "Cemetech Contest 23: Classic Remix" or something of that nature. The idea of the contest would be based around taking classic and/or simple games, like Pong, Tetris, or Asteroids, and adapting them with novel and unique new ideas. These adaptations would have to be unique enough so that they take the gameplay beyond that of the original with a new mentality and strategy required to play the game. A good example of this concept is CMonster 1202 by patrickdavidson, which changes up the original Breakout game with power ups that give you a wider paddle, cut through the bricks, etc.

Like Cemetech Contest 21, this competition would be split up into multiple parts over several months. Each game to remix would be determined by the admins and/or the Cemetech community before the start of the competition. So part 1 could be focused on Breakout, then part 2 on Galaga, etc. Participants would be judged on the novelty of their ideas as well as their faithfulness to the themes of the original games while making their remixes. At the end of each section of the contest, a winner for that part would be voted on, and the person with the most overall votes would be the overall winner.

That's all. Thanks for reading.
epsilon5 wrote:
<his whole post>

That is an interesting idea, but I feel like it is a tad bit too restrictive, and it might turn out like the ill-fated CC19... no one submitted entries, we had like 2 to judge between at the end

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours