I decided I would like to learn C for the Ti 84 CE. Would someone enlighten me on what is necessary to begin? I am confused on something - I thought the TI 84 ce supported c programming, so why are the libraries necessary?
Switchblade wrote:
I decided I would like to learn C for the Ti 84 CE. Would someone enlighten me on what is necessary to begin? I am confused on something - I thought the TI 84 ce supported c programming, so why are the libraries necessary?

It only supports C programming because of Mateo's libraries. Otherwise, you are limited to ASM and TI-Basic (and other languages like ICE, and C, with use of external items)
So, If I want to program in C, I need Mateo's libraries. Correct?

And, are there any c tutorials or documentation?
Switchblade wrote:

Yes, and I believe there are some on the git page.

I'm not an expert, so you might want to look it up (try looking it up on the forums, as google will give unrelated results.
Switchblade wrote:

Yes, you need Mateo's libraries which can be found here. https://github.com/CE-Programming/libraries
I believe there is documentation in the download.
Switchblade wrote:

I would just like to reiterate they are not mine; but many in the community have helped to make. No, the libraries are not necessary to make C programs, but are highly recommended. The point of the libraries is to perform common routines such drawing sprites, working with files, and even using BASIC variables.

The main documentation that will be the most helpful to you is located on the wiki pages:
https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/wiki

Of course, the header files for all of the library functions contain documentation throughout. (You can find them here). Also, the many examples in the toolchain also are heavily commented to help you start out.

Feel free to ask any questions, and grab the toolchain here: https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/releases

(I usually tend to write the wiki based on the questions I see, so if you have any real concerns as you begin feel free to post so I can try to make it easier to understand)
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Switchblade wrote:

I would just like to reiterate they are not mine; but many in the community have helped to make. No, the libraries are not necessary to make C programs, but are highly recommended. The point of the libraries is to perform common routines such drawing sprites, working with files, and even using BASIC variables.

The main documentation that will be the most helpful to you is located on the wiki pages:
https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/wiki

Of course, the header files for all of the library functions contain documentation throughout. Also, the many examples in the toolchain also are heavily commented to help you start out.

Feel free to ask any questions, and grab the toolchain here: https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/releases

We call them yours as a) you tend to do things like that and b) it's easier to attribute things to a single person.

*Creates shortcut for that ^^
Thanks guys. I feel like learning C right now to see if I like it. If I do, I will probably get a CE. I'll just use CEmu for testing the programs. Is there a windows program that allows you to enter c or similar code, and, when you hit compile, converts it into asm for the TI83+?

EDIT:

Could I have the links to everything I need to begin programming?
Switchblade wrote:
Thanks guys. I feel like learning C right now to see if I like it. If I do, I will probably get a CE. I'll just use CEmu for testing the programs. Is there a windows program that allows you to enter c or similar code, and, when you hit compile, converts it into asm for the TI83+?

EDIT:

Could I have the links to everything I need to begin programming?

I am not sure that C works with the 83+

The wiki pages have everything you need to set up Good Idea
Ok, so I follow the instructions to compile demo_0, after running the windows setup file, etc., but i get a message in the terminal (command prompt) that
Code:
'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Switchblade wrote:
Ok, so I follow the instructions to compile demo_0, after running the windows setup file, etc., but i get a message in the terminal (command prompt) that
Code:
'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

so, uh, you need to set your path. https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/wiki/Setting-up-environment-variables

and read this: https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/wiki/Building-your-first-program
Switchblade wrote:
Code:

You have to start a new command prompt Wink
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Switchblade wrote:
Code:

You have to start a new command prompt Wink

The reason you need to open a new command prompt after the installation is because it doesn't pick up the new PATH variable (I think).
Ok, thanks guys, I got it working. Windows smartscreen was blocking it.
How do you prevent it from blocking it? Is there any step by step, page by page tutorial to teach the commands?
Zixcoder wrote:
How do you prevent it from blocking it? Is there any step by step, page by page tutorial to teach the commands?

Probably this helpful page. Remember, google is your friend Smile

Yes; the main ones for graphics and files and others can be found on these pages:

Tutorials/wiki: https://github.com/CE-Programming/toolchain/wiki

Function documentation: http://ce-programming.github.io/toolchain/files.html

Also, all of the examples that come with the toolchain are fully commented and explain what is going on Smile Feel free to ask any questions!
OK, I tried turning off the Smart Screen, but I tried again and it still displayed like this:

Code:

C:\Users\Family\Documents\Calculator Work\Downloaded Programs\C Coding\examples\hello_world>make
'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\Family\Documents\Calculator Work\Downloaded Programs\C Coding\examples\hello_world>

thanks MatthewWithLettuce! Very Happy
Zixcoder wrote:
OK, I tried turning off the Smart Screen, but I tried again and it still displayed like this:

Code:

C:\Users\Family\Documents\Calculator Work\Downloaded Programs\C Coding\examples\hello_world>make

C:\Users\Family\Documents\Calculator Work\Downloaded Programs\C Coding\examples\hello_world>

So first off, it would work better if you remove the spaces in your path. (I know on linux this causes issues with Environment Variables)

Actually, have you run the windows installer?
Unicorn wrote:
Zixcoder wrote:

Code:

So first off, it would work better if you remove the spaces in your path. (I know on linux this causes issues with Environment Variables)

Actually, have you run the windows installer?

Yes, I do believe I have Wink
Um I'm very confused... If you ran the installer it should not have let you select an installation directory with spaces Wink Also, where is the CEdev directory?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours