Yes
 41%  [ 5 ]
No
 0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe if it wasn't garbage I'd have to wait and see
 58%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 12

https://github.com/dankcalculatorbro/CalcCrusade
The link to the beta download is above, for anyone who wants to try it out.
Download above is now updated with Nicaea!

CalcCrusader:
Raid your way through a trail of cities, taking back the holy land! This is a mainly text-based RPG, all programmed in BASIC.

I think this would be interesting! Looks nicer than lots of other text-based rpg's that i have seen :3
Looks really cool. Those graphics actually aren't bad at all for basic. I would for sure download it if you do release it. It would be a fun rpg.
Also, i can do beta-testing for you, if/when you need it, dankcalculatorbro
Looks great! The Crusades are a very interesting subject. I had to do a school project on it a while back. It was... tedious to say the least! Very Happy
If you downloaded the program, then:

1. How should battle mechanics work? Does a soldier only count in battle if he has a sword? What would be the algorithm, and how would a difficulty be factored in?

2. Should random things happen when traveling to cities, similar to Oregon Trail?

3. Did I make any spelling mistakes? (I found a couple of them)

4. What should I add? Give me some of your ideas. Also, what should be the first (hostile) city that you attack?
dankcalculatorbro wrote:

1. How should battle mechanics work? Does a soldier only count in battle if he has a sword? What would be the algorithm, and how would a difficulty be factored in?

2. Should random things happen when traveling to cities, similar to Oregon Trail?

4. What should I add? Give me some of your ideas. Also, what should be the first (hostile) city that you attack?

Oregon Trail? HECK YEAH! Very Happy Very Happy
dankcalculatorbro wrote:

1a: If you don't have a sword, sucks for you. THIS IS WAR!!
1b: Basically, difficulty should be a multiplier, multiplied against the opponent's health or attack. Difficulty (as a multiplier) could work out to:

Code:
1+X/Y
Where X is a number increasing as expected difficulty increases, and Y is a constant number that changes how much X affects the difficulty. (Higher Y means less change in difficulty)

2: Yes. But they should be somewhat more subtle than Oregon Trail.
3: A few, but it didn't really change how current gameplay felt.
4: I'm a WWII nerd not a Crusades nerd Smile
I've added the map and the first hostile city, Nicaea. I've also added or fixed the food system (I forget when I updated the download link). Soldiers now require food and starve relative to the size of the army. The battle mechanics are now also in place, and battles are held live, meaning you can see both sides take damage as the program runs the loop. Only men with swords can enter battle, and shields and armor increase defense. I need to add in random equipment breaking, but after battles you can randomly acquire loot from the city.

A full list of changes:
-map for the campaign
-food system fixed/updated
-new character, Peter the Hermit
-characters now have names (yes, I know Alexios was emperor and not actually a crusader)
-added Nicaea
-battle system added
-random loot after battles
-start with 10,000 funds

Things that will come soon:
-random equipment breaking
-fix the map/progress system, hopefully add in saving/loading

You now must actually plan out your starting supplies: It takes around 1700 food, 650 swords, and the rest of your money in defense to beat Nicaea. I may make it easier at some point, because if you aren't well equipped you die pretty easily.

I uploaded the updated program to GitHub. The link is below as well as at the very top of this thread.

https://github.com/dankcalculatorbro/CalcCrusade

The updated download will be on Github, I will probably upload it sometime in the next week (I have finals and had to reinstall everything on my laptop because it was having troubles updating antivirus).

The size of the file in now about 14k bytes. It shouldn't get much bigger now that battles and cities are integrated fully.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours