I've been trying to make this one compiler I downloaded from Digital Mars but it always gives me an error when I try to compile. Something about how the compiler expected a file... Anyways I was wondering if anyone around here who programs in C++ could point me to a site where I can download a compiler that worked for them. I've been learning C++, but there's only so much you can learn from books before you need to do some actual programming...
I'm not big on C++, but I know people like elfprince and kllrnohj are into it more. Any suggestions, guys? I've heard good things about Borland..
I like DevC++. JincS will also knows a thing or two
KermMartian wrote:
I'm not big on C++, but I know people like elfprince and kllrnohj are into it more. Any suggestions, guys? I've heard good things about Borland..

lol....Im a Java man. Rolling Eyes

I hardly know any C++.
My school uses Turbo C++ (I think that's Borland), but I never could find a free download for it! Maybe you'll have better luck!

Also, I'm sure Microsoft Visual Studio is good?
I hear they give away free demos now. Smile
Yeah, my school uses Turbo C++ as well. I went out and bought a C++ book that came with Borlands C++ BuilderX. It's great for managing big programs, but for just little stuff Turbo C++ is easier.
i recommend microsofts visual C++ - its the best compiler and RAD for windows (express edition linked below is free, too)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/download/
Free? I might get that myself, I have always wanted to try C++.
dopeheaddude wrote:

Also, I'm sure Microsoft Visual Studio is good?
I hear they give away free demos now. Smile

Toldya!
Wait, free demo or free program??
KermMartian wrote:
Wait, free demo or free program??

the EXPRESS EDITION (read: cripple-ware) that i linked to is free - not a demo. It is still very good w/ a great RAD - obviously it falls short of the multi-thousand dollar Visual Studio 2005, lol, but in comparing free compilers/ides/rads - its prolly one of, if not the, best for windows (code generated by the RAD is windows ONLY)
Laughing "Crippleware" - did you just invent that term?
KermMartian wrote:
Laughing "Crippleware" - did you just invent that term?

no

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=crippleware
Guiltware. Even better. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Guiltware. Even better. Smile

nah, there's no ads in the express edition for the full studio, so its just crippleware
No, I just meant that that's an excellent term for it. So do we have enough info here or not yet?
Thanks for the info guys. I'm currently downloading the compiler. It's currently at 47 minutes with my dial-up connection Neutral
Ouch. >.< Tell us how you like it.
Well it's been happening for a lot of big downloads, but the download window tells me 26 minutes in one second, and finishes the download the next. Can someone tells me why this happens?
something1990 wrote:
Well it's been happening for a lot of big downloads, but the download window tells me 26 minutes in one second, and finishes the download the next. Can someone tells me why this happens?

certainly: it happens because, well, your internet sucks - its as simple as that (the est. time remaining is based on your current download rate, if it drops out for a sec, the est. time remaining launches skyward) - therefore just go by percentage and guesstimate it yourself

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours