I recently got into using ICE (kudos to PT_ for making it, and CalcMeister for shamelessly promoting it) and i have completed 1 game so far (https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/84pce/asm/games/MemoryCE.zip) and i am about halfway done with an ICE port of my Basic game Box Game SE (i'll link that one as well, once i find it)

I had the idea the other night to make a top-down rpg-type game inspired by Dragon Warrior (which is one of my all-time favorite NES games) I am planning on using sprites borrowed from that game Razz

Edit: These images are from the NES game, not my version Wink

Hopefully i will be able to not fail horribly at this (i probably will though), because i would hate to disappoint anyone who would like this (***Pieman7373 pokes Battlesquid)
I am hoping to maybe have a title screen (functioning or not) within the next few days Smile
I believe in you Pieman! I would get a CE just for this Very Happy Best of luck to you on this!
Battlesquid wrote:
I believe in you Pieman! I would get a CE just for this Very Happy Best of luck to you on this!

Thanks Battlesquid! <3 Hopefully i will give you a decent reason to purchase a CE. Either way though, im definitely going to need all the luck i can get! Rolling Eyes
This looks very promising, and I hope you can finish it! Good luck Smile
PT_ wrote:
This looks very promising, and I hope you can finish it! Good luck Smile

Thank you! I will definitely give it my best shot!

I made the image for the opening screen of the program, but i haven't actually started writing any code yet. I have mostly been looking for, and editing, sprites Razz

Edit:
I have an important question (anyone who has played this game will know what i am talking about)...
Should i keep the irritatingly painful system of menus that you have to navigate to do anything in original game, or should i try and streamline the GUI a bit?
In general, I prefer a nice GUI (don't say anything about ICE Razz), but I don't know what you mean by the menus etc, so probably someone who has played this game can tell more about that.
Yeah, just watch a video of someone play it and you will see what i mean, lol
The coder's fallacy: Creating tons of sprite data and text but then getting your panties in a wad when it comes to actually writing any code.

Good luck Danial!
CalcMeister wrote:
The coder's fallacy: Creating tons of sprite data and text but then getting your panties in a wad when it comes to actually writing any code.

Good luck Danial!

Well, thankfully/sadly all of my sprites already exist, so i don't have a whole lot of room to procrastinate Razz

I just need to procure the enemy sprites, put all the sprites in a sprite file, and then i wont have to worry about sprites ever again Razz
I made some progress, and i am actually pretty optimistic about this project! I will post screenshots or whatever once i take some Razz
(sorry if this sounds kinda stupid, but i am half asleep at a computer at lunch and my brain isnt really working all the way )
I finished with having it display the first portion of the first room, and ii have a sprite that looks different depending on the direction you are facing and i have the king and princess. I dont have any collision detection yet, but that is coming up soon.

Do you guys think i should make a legit To-do list?
Pieman7373 wrote:

Do you guys think i should make a legit To-do list?

Yes! To-Do lists are always awesome. Great work so far, can't wait to see the screenshots! Very Happy
Indeed, you should definitely post your to-do list. Both for us, to know what you are working on and what to do, and of course for yourself, to keep it structured. Keep up the great work! Very Happy
When I ported Dragon Warrior to TI-86, I made byte maps of all the maps in the world. You may find this useful so you don't have to do it by hand.

Look at dwmaps and dwmaps2.asm here:

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/223/22336.html
tswilliamson wrote:
When I ported Dragon Warrior to TI-86, I made byte maps of all the maps in the world. You may find this useful so you don't have to do it by hand.

Look at dwmaps and dwmaps2.asm here:

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/223/22336.html

I'm not sure if I'm going to do a full port yet, or just a game that looks like DW, because of the current limitations of ICE
Ok! In terms of menus, I would recommend mimicking the Game Boy Color version's menu system (from the combined DW1/DW2 cartridge), which is a mix of the original unwieldy one and something a bit more modern.
tswilliamson wrote:
Ok! In terms of menus, I would recommend mimicking the Game Boy Color version's menu system (from the combined DW1/DW2 cartridge), which is a mix of the original unwieldy one and something a bit more modern.

Okay, good, because i was NOT planning on doing the original painful menu system
Ill have to get that version of it so i can look at it Razz
CalcMeister wrote:

Good luck Danial!

I tend to be the opposite of this. I find writing code and debugging the program much more enjoyable than creating large amounts of maps and sprites, which just seems tedious and a huge inefficiency to me. This is why I almost always borrow images.
SCREENSHOT TIME!!!!!

As you can see, i have no collision detection yet, and only the first room, but i am pretty happy with myself Smile
That looks amazing! Is this for the CSE?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours