andressevilla wrote:
Is there any copyright issues with posting other people's programs?

The programs that are on trumetguy's website are all from the TIBD. I'm not sure if there is a copyright on them, but he did acknowledge the programs that were made by others... Neutral
I believe in everyone being able to use my stuff however they want, as long as they credit appropriately. Feel free, trumpetguy!
Quote:
Good point.
Although, I don't think Kerm/Cemetech holds the copyright for the files in the archives.
Quote:
Yeah. I don't think anyone does, really...

Because there are no explicit license grants that I can see involved in archives upload or elsewhere in the site terms of service, the creator retains ownership of the copyright over anything they upload to the archives. We must also assume that uploading something is an implicit grant of license for redistribution to Cemetech, because otherwise there would be no point in having the archives exist in the form they do.

Thus the legality of re-hosting files from the Cemetech archives depends on the presence of any additional license grants provided by the author. In the absence of any explicit grant, all such files remain "all rights reserved" and any redistribution is prohibited.

In practice few authors (around here, at least) include any kind of licensing statement in their releases, even if it appears they intend to allow free distribution which is unfortunate- there is no explicit grant, so a redistributor could be liable for infringement if an author were to decide to pursue it.
Battlesquid wrote:
andressevilla wrote:
Is there any copyright issues with posting other people's programs?

The programs that are on trumetguy's website are all from the TIBD. I'm not sure if there is a copyright on them, but he did acknowledge the programs that were made by others... Neutral

Yeah, I made sure to give credit on the programs that were from TIBD, as well as linking it to the respective post. However, I have modified most of them (at least a little bit), so I'm pretty sure this (combined with the linking) is ok. I've also started posting more of my own programs; the ones from TIBD were to help start up the site.

UPDATE: As of this morning, I have taken down the posts that have programs from TIBD. I wasn't entirely sure about the copyright on it, so I got rid of the posts just to be safe.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours