I just got a TI-84 + CE about a week ago and have been loving the thing, but at some point today, something strange happened. Some crumbs and/or pencil shavings and/or small pieces of paper got inside the screen. At first, I thought they were dead pixels, but they were still there after I turned off the calculator. I have included a picture taken with the calculator off, keeping in mind this is shortly after wiping off the screen. All of the visible specs are inside the screen. My questions, A: is this common? and B: how can I get to the screen to take them out, or would I be better off seeing if I can get a replacement? Any help would be appreciated! Image (somewhat hard to see due to glare): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Xyb11dmKf6RkgyNXlsSWZuejQ/view?usp=drivesdk
It's certainly not normal for there to be debris inside the calculator, but it might just be a tech got dirt inside the calculator during manufacture. Such dirt is harmless. The calculator is easy enough to open up with a small Philips and Torx screwdriver, but the plastic case is melted over the PCB, making it difficult to remove to access the other side with the screen. If you know any skilled makers, I'd suggest carefully using a soldering iron on low heat to melt the plastic to let you remove the PCB. Something else that's worked for me to melt plastic gently is heating up a screwdriver (with a thermoset plastic handle---not thermoplastic!) over a kitchen stove burner. You'll definitely void your warranty; don't try it if you're not confident in your ability to manipulate the plastic.
This story reminds me the ant colony inside a TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition calculator: http://imgur.com/gallery/NUXkFVf
Something like this happened to my CSE like a week after i got it (christmas of 2015 i think). A piece of something (maybe a skin flake) got between the screen and the cover, and i had the same problem (i couldn't access that area safely) and it has bothered me SOOO much since then! Crying Rolling Eyes Crying
I might edit this to include a picture if i remember later Razz
This has happened slowly as I have have owned my CE, but it's not so bad as to handicap my use of it. I have not done it yet, but I know that you can take off the screen cover to carefully clean it. I did it with my old CSE.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours