I always wanted to get images on the calculator like http://tinyurl.com/n3tt3ea like the globe and have it spins really smooth right now I'm working on the globe and mapping out places for any picture to be placed by being mapped tracked to see if one part is visible I realized this is not going to work and so I decided to switch to determine what part of the globe and mail (sorry I had so say it) would be visible for instance the globe will be cut into quarters and only one (but not quite 1) will be displayed at a time and like I said of course it will have to display 2 at a time (no more than that) because it will spin but I realize that none of the calculators have this capability YET without it lagging so much that it looks like calculator that got shredded in a sheet metal shredder. So I decided my life might not be worthy to live up to this task.
Look at gLib (I linked to CW as it has made more buzz there, and inherently you will probably find your answers.)

Don't be discouraged by the B&W graphics on the front page, he/she changes it into color (look at last page, for example).
I have little experience with 3D graphics, but anyway, you want back-face culling. This way, only half of the model (that is, the part of the model facing the camera) has to be drawn on render. Depending on your projection, it should be about half of the model's polycount.
Or fake it with a raycaster, much easier.
dis
mr womp womp wrote:

My question is, did TheMachine actually implement a BSP tree to render such a complicated map? Obviously there are a ton of other optimizations that can be done, but again, I'm not experienced in implementing any of them because, well, let's just say the 3D graphics community is not very welcoming.
oldmud0 wrote:
let's just say the 3D graphics community is not very welcoming.

^^ Stereotype
The stereotype was actually a mold for text. It greatly improved Gutenberg's printing press.

TheMachine02 is actually very friendly. But he is not afraid to make detailed constructive criticism, which is a quality most programmers lack. (including myself, and no offense)
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
oldmud0 wrote:
let's just say the 3D graphics community is not very welcoming.

^^ Stereotype
The stereotype was actually a mold for text. It greatly improved Gutenberg's printing press.

TheMachine02 is actually very friendly. But he is not afraid to make detailed constructive criticism, which is a quality most programmers lack. (including myself, and no offense)

I'm referring to OpenGL, gamedev forums, and others, where people are trying to make their own 3D engines without apparent context, and end up biting the bullet when the "old timers" hound on them and ask them to buy a 3D graphics textbook immediately or use Unity, causing the welcoming attitude toward new users to diminish. These same new users are the ones who write with poor English, paste code without proper tags, and hardly exhibit competence. Some even put their email address and ask if they can pay money to receive help. So, the well-established users often prod the new users to varying lengths.
Oh. Yeah...
*shudders*
SeeGreatness wrote:
I always wanted to get images on the calculator like http://tinyurl.com/n3tt3ea like the globe and have it spins really smooth right now I'm working on the globe and mapping out places for any picture to be placed by being mapped tracked to see if one part is visible I realized this is not going to work and so I decided to switch to determine what part of the globe and mail (sorry I had so say it) would be visible for instance the globe will be cut into quarters and only one (but not quite 1) will be displayed at a time and like I said of course it will have to display 2 at a time (no more than that) because it will spin but I realize that none of the calculators have this capability YET without it lagging so much that it looks like calculator that got shredded in a sheet metal shredder. So I decided my life might not be worthy to live up to this task.

First, i suggest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation

Anyways, the best way to do this would be to have a 2D texture of the world, and write an algorithm to project the part you are looking in a circular fashion at to make it look 3D.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours