So, I apologize for the recurring topic. I hope to have chosen a proper subforum. I did a research for the last year on this site, but I got only this thread, that's not bad but I have a bit different focus.

I would like to have a calculator with a similar math library of the hp 50g (through built in functions or 3rd party functions it does not matter), library that they I will likely use in programs. For whom does not have a hp 50g, I do suppose that its default math library is similar if not bigger than the ti89 or ti84.

Anyway a big limit could be the RAM, since already with the hp 50g one has to be a bit creative sometimes (and there exists interesting solutions with the internal storage that should be tested).

Of course I can use a computer or a smartphone for some computations, but while programming languages for the computer often are easier for developing, if I start to need specific libraries, the situation changes unless I use math environments like mathematica, matlab, scilab and co.
The math library of a calculator, plus 3rd party libraries, plus the interface that is very suitable to insert numbers and functions, all this makes a calculator just great. Moreover I don't have many systems that I can dedicate to one intensive task without being interrupted, so a calculator can do it, and silently. Last but not least, I love to use calculators, and that's is already enough for a motivation.

So looking around, mostly on some wikipedia pages, I found out the following.

- programmable calculators with 4Mb or more of RAM, plus at least 16 MB of storage (internal or through sd cards)
HP: Hp prime (32 mb ram, 256 mb storage)
TI: nspire (16 mb ram, 20 mb storage), nspire CX (64 mb ram, 100 mb storage)
Casio:

Aside from the ram/storage requirement, other requirements are more or less obvious.
- having a good math library, at least like the one built in in the 50g, even better with 3rd party libraries (therefore an active and passionate community is needed).
- executing programs natively (the hp50g with his userRPL emulation is ok, but sometimes it takes too much workarounds to get one first working solution that does not take ages)
- having an expressive enough programming language (at least one) that is not arbitrarily limited, like it would be a bit of a pity to have Mbytes of ram available, and then arrays capped to a length of, say, 1024.
- having good tools for development (like being able to develop with a computer with notepad++ and then load on the calculator)
- having a native version - not an emulator - of the OS as application for windows PC or android, so one could reuse the programs without a layer of emulation that slows down everything.
- having a good keyboard for typing numbers, common functions and also letters.
- having good software menus or otherwise one is doomed to type long commands manually on the calculator.
- having a good documentation, even better when expanded by the community.

I did not extensively searched for possible problems and limitations of the Prime or of the nspire series. I read a bit there and there, but it seems that I get basic information. So I ask the ones that likely have at least one of those machines, what you would recommend and why?

On ebay.de I see a lot of used (and we know how much used are the calculators, that is, a little) nspire (no CX) for 50 euro, and 50g for 90 euro. So if the ti nspire are ok, i may consider taking one immediately. I did check the differences between nspire CX and nspire, but it mostly seems the last OS updates.

Thanks for the answers.

PS: If my message is not clear, I apologize, please notify me so I can clarify.
So I found out that the HP prime as a 1:1 native android application. I'm going to give it a try before deciding about the real calculators.

I also learned that the ti nspire and nspire CX have lua that can interface itself with the math library. That's pretty neat.
The Prime and TI-Nspire both allow you to run their OS as a native application on computers. The Prime is a more polished and powerful product as a professional calculator, in my experience and opinion, but the TI-Nspire has more applications written for it. Unless you jailbreak the TI-Nspire, however, these are all Lu's applications, whereas the Prime OS is quite open to executing native (C/C++) applications.
I don't mind C/C++ , it is ok to have Lua or other higher level languages (higher than C/C++ that requires a bit of care about memory management). I may end up buying a ti nspire (no cx) for around 50$ to see how it performs.

edit: lua on the nspire is very graphic oriented so it is not so useful to produce math results that cannot be saved nor manipulated easily.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours