23%  [ 9 ]
Both
 26%  [ 10 ]
Neither
 2%  [ 1 ]
Other, please post.
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 38

Degrees divides the circle into more manageable integers that I find easier to manipulate. To put this into perspective, I'd bet imagining one degree without electronics would be easier and more accurate than imagining one radian.
Pi makes more sense:

PT_ wrote:
Pi makes more sense:

In that case, yes. I still feel like both should be used, where they are best.
prgmTrouble wrote:
Degrees divides the circle into more manageable integers that I find easier to manipulate. To put this into perspective, I'd bet imagining one degree without electronics would be easier and more accurate than imagining one radian.

Radians are still a useful thing, though. And they are actually very natural measurements. In fact, the derivative of sin(x) is equal to cos(x) if and only if x is expressed in radians. For degrees, it's much uglier.

Also PT_, there is a natural factor of 1/2 when looking at area, as compared to angle measurement. In fact, in general, the volume of any n-sphere is the surface area of that n-sphere times the radius and divided by the dimension. What's so special about 2 dimensions that it has to cancel the 1/2?
I had an idea: If tau was a calculator token of same size as pi, you would most likely save space in a program.
prgmTrouble wrote:
I had an idea: If tau was a calculator token of same size as pi, you would most likely save space in a program.

Yeah! Someone write an OS!
prgmTrouble wrote:

In many cases, yes. Now to work out how to create that token Wink

...no, seriously, someone work that out, at least for one calc model.
JWinslow23 wrote:
prgmTrouble wrote:

One could, at the top of every program, do 2pi→T, and use T as tau.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:
prgmTrouble wrote:

One could, at the top of every program, do 2pi→T, and use T as tau.

That's usually what I do. But a tau token would be nice, and that usually ends up wasting space because I lately haven't used the variable enough to compensate in the program Razz
The variable would be a bit slower too, for obvious reasons
prgmTrouble wrote:

Yeah. Just estimate tau to be 6 and you'll be all hex'd up!
prgmTrouble wrote:

No, if you create a separate tau token, it would be the same speed as pi, since the value is not calculated with a formula, but directly stored in the OS.
PT_ wrote:
prgmTrouble wrote:

No, if you create a separate tau token, it would be the same speed as pi, since the value is not calculated with a formula, but directly stored in the OS.

He said variable. You said token.

Two different things.
JWinslow23 wrote:
PT_ wrote:
prgmTrouble wrote:

He said variable. You said token.

Two different things.

New rule for this thread: Never use "two" or "2" or some other manifestation of that. Instead, do "τ/π"

(jk)
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
New rule for this thread: Never use "two" or "2" or some other manifestation of that. Instead, do "τ/π"
(jk)

Clearly, _iPhoenix_ prefers "tau over pi".
ReGuess wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
(jk)

Clearly, _iPhoenix_ prefers "tau over pi".

Or, do "(π/τ)⁻ยน"
The main point of tau is that pi is more complicated...point made.
(I still prefer degrees)
I'm gonna just link this here and let y'all decide for yourselves: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particular_values_of_the_Gamma_function
0x26!

Or even better...

ReGuess wrote:
I'm gonna just link this here and let y'all decide for yourselves: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particular_values_of_the_Gamma_function

Imma just drop stirling's formula for approximating the gamma function right here.
mr womp womp wrote:
0x26!

OMG it's perfect. If only it was next to pi on that chart!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours