Four years ago, I first attended TI's 25th annual Teachers Teaching with Technology (T^3) conference in Philadelphia. Since then, I have attended every T3IC, and this year, I'm proud to say that I'm representing both Cemetech and myself at my fifth T^3 conference. Each year, I have tried to bring someone from the community with me; in the past Cemetech administrators Shaun "Merthsoft" McFall and Thomas "elfprince13" Dickerson have attended, and last year Jon "Jonimus/The Storm" Sturm accidentally found himself at T^3 2016 in Orlando. This year, Jon has once again joined me (Dr. Christopher "Kerm Martian" Mitchell) in Chicago for the 2017 T^3 International Conference.

In past years, we have collected news about new TI efforts and enjoyed excellent sessions taught by teachers from across the country. I have also given a talk each year about TI-BASIC programming and why (and how) to do it with students in the classroom. Last year, we had a Maker Faire-style booth for the first time, where we showed off some of the things that we do here to promote programming and STEM education. This year, we are once again attending many interesting sessions, especially those about programming (now apparently primarily called coding in these circles), electronics, and engineering. I also taught "Teaching Beginner Programming Concepts with the TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator", with a record attendance of 28 teachers looking to learn programming and possibly teach it in their own classrooms. I'll be putting together a video of that full lesson (including the parts I didn't get to actually teach today) in the near future, but in the meantime, you can take a look at my slides, and of course consider "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus" for learning TI-BASIC. Finally, we have been quite active on social media throughout the conference, including participating in TI's #MathFTWChat on Day 0 of the conference (Thursday night, 3/9), as both @cemetech and @kermmartian.

We visited several particularly interesting sessions today. We went to "The TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator + 10 Minutes of Code + TI-Innovator Hub with TI-Launchpad Board = STEM Career Curiosity", taught by Terrance Mankus and Margo Lynn Mankus. Jon got to explore the TI-Innovator Hub for the first time, and the lessons were grounded in compelling real-world problems. I also learned that TI-OS 5.2.1 contains a new HUB tab in the PRGM menu, saving the otherwise tedious task of manually typing out TI-Innovator Hub command strings (see my recent video with the upcoming Norland robot for the TI-84 Plus CE for my experiences with that). Jon also attended "STEM Investigations with the TI-Innovator Hub with TI-Launchpad Board", taught by Stacy Thibodeaux, in which the attendees created conductance sensors to measure the cleanliness of water using the TI-84 Plus CE and TI-Innovator Hub. We also got to visit TI's STEM room, where they were showing off some of their latest projects with the TI-Innovator, and we attended the always exciting reception, showcasing the best dancing skills among our nation's math teachers.

Take a look at our selected pictures below, and keep your eyes on our Twitter accounts (don't forget to follow them, as well as our Facebook page!) and Cemetech's forum for our latest experiences from T^3 2017. If you're curious about our past T^3 experiences, we have coverage from 2013 with postmortem, 2014 with postmortem, 2015 with postmortem, and 2016 with postmortem.

I read your Powerpoint, Kerm, and i think it is hilarious that you told them how to make a Quadratic equation solver, because that is always onr of the first things that people try and submit everywhere Very Happy
My dream is to go to either this or a Maker's Faire with you guys. One day...
Yeah. I sent a copy of your powerpoint to my Math Teacher, and now he's asking me for a ton of computer help. Now, no one ever asks me "How did you do that?", which is always a benefit.
I like the Cemetech shirt!
Yep, I also definitely want to come to Maker Fair or T^3 once. If I only live in the US... Wink
Pieman7373 wrote:
I want one so bad! I wonder if I can get them anywhere?
PT_ wrote:
Yep, I also definitely want to come to Maker Fair or T^3 once. If I only live in the US... Wink

Me too, but I live in the wrong half of the US. Sad
Yeah, you are even farther away than i am! Razz I am always too far to go to any of those things. There should be one on the west coast! Then PT_ could fly over here and stay in my house Razz
Pieman7373 wrote:
Yeah, you are even farther away than i am! Razz I am always too far to go to any of those things. There should be one on the west coast! Then PT_ could fly over here and stay in my house Razz

Or mine, but I'm on the East coast, just too far to travel. So I feel like I am on the wrong half Sad
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Or mine, but I'm on the East coast, just too far to travel. So I feel like I am on the wrong half Sad

Well, I'm on the wrong continent, so don't complain Razz
CalcMeister wrote:
Pieman7373 wrote:
I want one so bad! I wonder if I can get them anywhere?

Yo Admins, sell em, I'll buy one. Idea

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours