thanks.
earthnite wrote:
Will there always be a border of 1's on the outside (except for the entrance and exit at 2,1 and 9,1)?

Yes
As for the dead ends, yes, there can be dead ends, what PT_ meant was that there will not be more than 2 exits. There will always be exactly two exits at the aforementioned coordinates, but in between, there can be dead ends. Simply setting all 0s to 1s is therefore not a valid solution. As for the ti-83+, it will be compatible with the ti-84+CE, and therefore, you may code it on there. The reason we are only going to be using a single calculator for testing is because it makes the calculation of speed easier, but since the code doesn't require any form of output to the screen, it could be written on a monochrome calc so long as it can be run on the CE (ti-nspire basic would not be accepted for example) Hope this clears things up, but to be clear, YES there can and most definitely will be dead ends.
I would like to add, and this is only a suggestion for my fellow participants, that if and when you upload your submission to the archives, you could have a version on one line and one "readable" version. However, you will only submit the one line one to the challenge.

Just a suggestion to help any future programmers interested in maze solving.

[edit]
I have written a working maze solver in Java (I did it on March 3, and for the contest). Am I allowed to write and use semi-automated algorithms to change the Java code into TI-Basic, then optimize and make it eligible for the contest (I.E. exclude certain tokens) by hand? Else, it would take me a few days locked in a cupboard (under the stairs for a Harry Potter reference)!
Sure, as long as you follow the restrictions Wink
PT_ wrote:
Sure, as long as you follow the restrictions Wink

Thanks. I will release all of the methods I used when the contest is over, in the hope that someone will learn from it.

[edit]
If anyone wants a program to put the demo maze into [A], here it is!

DISCLAIMER: I have permission to upload that, from PT_, and am doing it out of goodwill to help everyone else. You are welcome. Cool
Can we assume that the border is all walls; except for the two open locations?
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Can we assume that the border is all walls; except for the two open locations?

Already answered

mr womp womp wrote:
earthnite wrote:
Will there always be a border of 1's on the outside (except for the entrance and exit at 2,1 and 9,1)?

Yes
As for the dead ends, yes, there can be dead ends, what PT_ meant was that there will not be more than 2 exits. There will always be exactly two exits at the aforementioned coordinates, but in between, there can be dead ends. Simply setting all 0s to 1s is therefore not a valid solution. As for the ti-83+, it will be compatible with the ti-84+CE, and therefore, you may code it on there. The reason we are only going to be using a single calculator for testing is because it makes the calculation of speed easier, but since the code doesn't require any form of output to the screen, it could be written on a monochrome calc so long as it can be run on the CE (ti-nspire basic would not be accepted for example) Hope this clears things up, but to be clear, YES there can and most definitely will be dead ends.
Haha; guess I need to read more then Smile Thank you

Anyway; I feel I may be being a bit unfair but here's what I have currently:

size: 188 bytes
speed: exactly 2 seconds to solve example map using PT_'s timer program

Also handles dead ends too; just for kicks. (but currently only by backtracking; I'm not sure if that is okay. Without backtracking it is 223 bytes; probably optimizable a little though) I probably won't submit anything for this contest but hopefully these stats are a challenge to some of you Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Haha; guess I need to read more then Smile Thank you

Anyway; I feel I may be being a bit unfair but here's what I have currently:

size: 188 bytes
speed: exactly 2 seconds to solve example map using PT_'s timer program

Also handles dead ends too; just for kicks. I probably won't submit anything but hopefully these stats are a challenge to some of you Smile

HOLY!?! I call hax.

Here are my stats:
2kb
~30 sec to solve example map... There are slight differences, I see.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
HOLY!?! I call hax.

Nah, I do use a Stop though. That's about it. Anywho, I'm going to fall asleep and think on it a bit more I guess.

Just to clarify I guess (This means I'll have to add bytes Mad), dead ends exist and we cannot simply back track out of them?
MateoConLechuga wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
HOLY!?! I call hax.

Nah, I do use a Stop though. That's about it. Anywho, I'm going to fall asleep and think on it a bit more I guess.

Just to clarify I guess (This means I'll have to add bytes Mad), dead ends exist and we cannot simply back track out of them?

The removal of Return was intended to prevent subprograms... That was dumb Razz
But yes, Stop is allowed and is not considered cheating at all. As for dead ends, backtracking is not allowed in the output, because if it were, then the idea of setting all the 0s to 1s and saying that you simply backtracked everywhere would be a solution. For obvious reasons, that can't be accepted.
mr womp womp wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
HOLY!?! I call hax.

The removal of Return was intended to prevent subprograms... That was dumb Razz
But yes, Stop is allowed and is not considered cheating at all. As for dead ends, backtracking is not allowed in the output, because if it were, then the idea of setting all the 0s to 1s and saying that you simply backtracked everywhere would be a solution. For obvious reasons, that can't be accepted.

By 1's you mean 2's, right? And I'm glad that you CAN backtrack, as long as you cover it up Smile
Are diagonal moves allowed? That is, is this a valid output, or do we need to go the long way around?

Code:

Will there ever be walls in a diagonal

Code:
shape?

I think I can write a solution in about 400 or 500 bytes, but it'll be slow. This is an interesting challenge.
I find it interesting this contest is called 'pathfinding from hell' since my English class just finished reading Dante's Inferno Smile
To clarify, is the start point ALWAYS at (2,1) and the endpoint ALWAYS at (9,1)?
Minxrod wrote:
To clarify, is the start point ALWAYS at (2,1) and the endpoint ALWAYS at (9,1)?

I do believe so.
oldmud0 wrote:
Minxrod wrote:

I do believe so.

Yes, the beginning and ending points are always the same Smile
lirtosiast wrote:
Are diagonal moves allowed?

Can we please allow this? Just for kicks; since technically it is finding the most efficient path available.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
lirtosiast wrote:
Are diagonal moves allowed?

Can we please allow this? Just for kicks; since technically it is finding the most efficient path available.

I vote no, as it makes the challenge a lot less fun true to the spirit of mazes and pathfinding in general.

And Mateo, I think I know what you did (like byte by byte) to get your program down to its current size. Well done, it took me a few hours, and is very clever...

I won't be submitting a copy of Mateo's work, as it is not mine, but I might take a little inspiration from it. I think I can get it faster.
Nope, no diagonal paths Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours