What's finished of ez80 heaven, started a year ago but not continued yet, should be added to Cemetech Learn (that was its original purpose, right?). Unfortunately the lack of Markdown support coupled with my lack of time to do a transfer has made this process improbable for the time being (maybe later, but that's what I said last year). If markdown support (in the same format of Read the Docs) is added then I will gladly do the copy-paste work.

There were two other minor issues that I had: navigation between pages and categorization. In my opinion there should be a collapsable navigation bar on the left (similar to what is currently on https://ez80.github.io, where each page header is a jumpable section so finding each topic is easier). On the categorization topic, the instruction set pages acted as "folders" for the subpages, and a similar system should be implemented here.

What do you think about these ideas? I don't know implementation-wise how complicated any of that would be.
Thanks for bumping the Learn wiki in my mind once again! I'm still hopeful we can make it a useful resource, even though it hasn't seen any development in a long time. I think at this point, the best thing to do would be to make it easy to convert from Markdown to Mediawiki markup, rather than making the Wiki natively understand Markdown. Let's work together to figure out the easiest way to do that, since my vague recollections from a year ago are that such a converter exists.

Regarding breadcrumbs or other navigation tricks, the Mediawiki-ish way to do this is to make a special template that links to all of the relevant pages, a template that can be embedded on any of the pages that should contain that navigation section. I can help show you how to implement that if necessary.
KermMartian wrote:
Thanks for bumping the Learn wiki in my mind once again! I'm still hopeful we can make it a useful resource, even though it hasn't seen any development in a long time. I think at this point, the best thing to do would be to make it easy to convert from Markdown to Mediawiki markup, rather than making the Wiki natively understand Markdown. Let's work together to figure out the easiest way to do that, since my vague recollections from a year ago are that such a converter exists.

There is a converter at http://pandoc.org/; I tried it on https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ez80/84-CE-Documentation/master/tutorial/intro.rst, but apparently code blocks don't exist in Mediawiki, and smaller headings end up looking strange (using characters such as '^' from RTD Markdown), is there a remedy for these issues?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours