So I decided in the last couple weeks to start programming something to prevent Y3K if you remember like 17-18 years ago the worry everyone was talking about was Y2K and what would happen when the year 2000 kicked in would all our techs date and time say that we were living in the beginning of time? Now his wouldn't really be a big thing for the average citizen no it was more of a concern for big companies that would be vulnerable to cyber attacks taking advantage of their security computer systems being confused (if you haven't seen the newest way to brick your iPhone then it's a must see you can find it on YouTube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVI87HzfskQ from Tom Scott)

And remember...
It's never too late to begin to save the world
as always,
thanks for reading
Excuse me, but what is the purpose of this topic? They solved all the problems around Y2K, and Y3K is still 983 years away Razz
PT_ wrote:
Excuse me, but what is the purpose of this topic? They solved all the problems around Y2K, and Y3K is still 983 years away Razz

(of course I'm not doing this)
this is in the humour/jokes section and I personally found the thought funny
so you may give "funny suggestions" / jokes about this topic like
"don't forget about epoch time!" Smile
Fun fact though, there is a calculator equivalent to y2k planned for a little over 100 years from now. The idea is the exact same as y2k 17 years ago, which is that because of the way the date and time are stored, the numbers overflow (000000000,00000001,[...],11111111,00000000). The OS is relatively smart because it won't allow you to put in a number that is too close to the extremities of the time, but you can still set the time, so you could go one day at a time (make a program do it Razz), looping through setTime(29,59,59) and waiting one second. I've never done it myself, and I've never heard of someone who has, but IIRC, it had been calculated to be in the 2130s (probably either 2137, or a few months into 2133, I can't remember)
mr womp womp wrote:
Fun fact though, there is a calculator equivalent to y2k planned for a little over 100 years from now. The idea is the exact same as y2k 17 years ago, which is that because of the way the date and time are stored, the numbers overflow (000000000,00000001,[...],11111111,00000000). The OS is relatively smart because it won't allow you to put in a number that is too close to the extremities of the time, but you can still set the time, so you could go one day at a time (make a program do it Razz), looping through setTime(29,59,59) and waiting one second. I've never done it myself, and I've never heard of someone who has, but IIRC, it had been calculated to be in the 2130s (probably either 2137, or a few months into 2133, I can't remember)

that's pretty interesting
mr womp womp wrote:
I kinda want to see what happens... will it brick your calc? If not then I'm totally doing it.
CalcMeister wrote:
I kinda want to see what happens... will it brick your calc? If not then I'm totally doing it.

I don't think that will brick your calculator, it may freeze it at worst, but if you press the reset button it'll reset the date back to it's activated time (mine always resets the date back to January 1, 2015)
TheLastMillennial wrote:
CalcMeister wrote:

I don't think that will brick your calculator, it may freeze it at worst, but if you press the reset button it'll reset the date back to it's activated time (mine always resets the date back to January 1, 2015)

I did this about three years ago with a TI-84+SE, and nothing bad happened (besides strange behavior with the clock). I am trying it with a CE now (as seen on HCWP).

UPDATE: I can get it to go past 2137, but at some point something happens to make the clock advance the day instead of the second:

03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038 is when the world ends.
jonbush wrote:
TheLastMillennial wrote:
CalcMeister wrote:

I did this about three years ago with a TI-84+SE, and nothing bad happened (besides strange behavior with the clock). I am trying it with a CE now (as seen on HCWP).

UPDATE: I can get it to go past 2137, but at some point something happens to make the clock advance the day instead of the second:

Oh cool! I'd never actually seen it first hand, thanks for posting this!
DJ_O wrote:

is that even true? If so how do you know? If you know that do you know how? I would like to prepare to save my archive of programs so that my soul may roam and do whatever a soul does Laughing Razz Cool but I'm not sure your timestamp is very accurate Wink Smiling Cat Smiling Cat
Believe me, that's just an "educated" guess by some scientists... Razz
As a person who survived at least three doomsdays, I approve.
Nik wrote:
As a person who survived at least three doomsdays, I approve.

and met and is also friends with god
SeeGreatness wrote:
DJ_O wrote:

is that even true? If so how do you know? If you know that do you know how? I would like to prepare to save my archive of programs so that my soul may roam and do whatever a soul does 0x5 Razz Cool but I'm not sure your timestamp is very accurate Wink Smiling Cat Smiling Cat

I was joking in reference to the Year 2038 bug. On some systems, timestamps are stored in 32-bit signed integers, meaning that they can only range from January 1st 1970 to January 19th 2038, or something like that. Razz
DJ_O wrote:
SeeGreatness wrote:
DJ_O wrote:

is that even true? If so how do you know? If you know that do you know how? I would like to prepare to save my archive of programs so that my soul may roam and do whatever a soul does 0x5 Razz Cool but I'm not sure your timestamp is very accurate Wink Smiling Cat Smiling Cat

I was joking in reference to the Year 2038 bug. On some systems, timestamps are stored in 32-bit signed integers, meaning that they can only range from January 1st 1970 to January 19th 2038, or something like that. Razz

oh yeah that's right lol
the whole topic was about this.
Anyways I can't wait till then

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours