A long time ago, I made a post to determine what is the most useless token. We got some interesting responses, and I think PrintScreen was a clear winner. Now, I've decided to make the case for the most useful token. I personally believe Ans should claim that title because of its beauty and versatility. However, I could see the case being made for other tokens such as AsmPrgm, getKey, For(, etc. So I'd like to ask you guys what you think the most useful token should be. I will add them to the following list as they come, and then when we have a handfull, we shall have a Poll!
    Ans
    ->
    *newline*
    End
    prgm
->
By far much more useful than Ans Razz
The newline character, if that is a token. Wink
Nik wrote:

You can use colons though, Kerm would probably throw a shoe at you, but you can write an entire program on one line if you'd like...
PT_ wrote:
->
By far much more useful than Ans Razz

I agree! Razz
Also, the "End" token. While I believe you could make programs of any complexity without any of the tokens mentioned above, without "End" complex program flows are fully prevented.
"prgm"

how else would you have programs in the first place?
Luxen wrote:
"prgm"

Use assembly to toggle program mode on the home screen and write and run your programs there.

That being said, I would say either the Asm( or AsmPrgm token is the most useful.
Kydapoot wrote:
Luxen wrote:
"prgm"

Use assembly to toggle program mode on the home screen and write and run your programs there.

That being said, I would say either the Asm( or AsmPrgm token is the most useful.

We are assuming pure basic programming here, so the prgm token is crucial.
oldmud0 wrote:

Code:
not(0
mr womp womp wrote:
Nik wrote:

You can use colons though, Kerm would probably throw a shoe at you, but you can write an entire program on one line if you'd like...
Ooh! Imma do that to EVERY program! (By writing a program (in java; on one line) to do it for me!

My vote goes to the End token. How else would (most) of the conditional statements/loops work! (Well there is those tokens, like IS( and DS( or whatnot, but forget it)
The most useful token is a token which you can't absolutely miss in a program. You can replace a newline token by a colon, and reversed, you can replace "1" by "not(0)" etc, and you can make a program without subprograms, thus you don't need the "prgm" token. You can replace "If", "Repeat", "While" by a bunch of "IS>(" and "DS<(", but both "Repeat" and "While" is very difficult if not impossible without a Goto/Lbl, so these are important as well Smile
PT_ wrote:
The most useful token is a token which you can't absolutely miss in a program. You can replace a newline token by a colon, and reversed, you can replace "1" by "not(0)" etc, and you can make a program without subprograms, thus you don't need the "prgm" token. You can replace "If", "Repeat", "While" by a bunch of "IS>(" and "DS<(", but both "Repeat" and "While" is very difficult if not impossible without a Goto/Lbl, so these are important as well Smile

I feel like every token is useful, and removing even some of the least used tokens (well, besides maybe a few) would change the face of TI-Basic a TON. I would like to see the empty slots filled. I realize this is probably not going to happen, but it would be interesting.

[edit]
Also, my suggestions for the most useful tokens:
getKey
All of the logical operators (=, <, >, ≤, ≠, ≥, and , or , xor , not)
ʟ
(Lets us create custom lists)
Is the ON button a token?
Please don't mind my stupidity Sad
Ans because it does everything and it's great!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours