Ok, so I downloaded a program, and it planted a virus on my computer. I know that it is somewhere in my appdata folder, but i don't know where. If I were to delete my appdata folder, would it recreate the default appdata folder, or would I mess everything up.

Note: My antivirus does not detect this virus.
BigSmoke3320 wrote:
Ok, so I downloaded a program, and it planted a virus on my computer. I know that it is somewhere in my appdata folder, but i don't know where. If I were to delete my appdata folder, would it recreate the default appdata folder, or would I mess everything up.

Note: My antivirus does not detect this virus.

What is your antivirus?
EDIT: And what is the program you downloaded?
First advice: Use Malwarebytes downloaded from any trusted site. In my experience it detects just most things.
If that fails, only then you should proceed doing stuff manually.
I am using the standard windows 10 Windows defender. I don't know which program it was that had the virus. I do know that it messed around with my start menu, as it was (probably) meant for windows 8. The microsoft edge and google chrome shortcuts were changed to a batch file labeled as internet explorer
Try doing the built-in offline scan. Go to settings>update and security>Windows Defender. Then scroll down to 'Scan Offline'. It's like the hard-core version of Windows Defender. Good luck!

As far as I know, there aren't any programs on this site that make you install anything on your computer to run them. Could you provide a list of all the programs you've downloaded? Do you remember if you had to run a .exe file or something like that?
am I misunderstanding your post? Razz
Any sysadmin would tell you that the system is now unsafe for use, so you have to reinstall everything, the network will have to be scrubbed too, blah blah blah.

Anyway, if you want to follow that advice, sure, it'll probably save you if said virus is actually ransomware.

But, because you want to keep trying to remove the virus anyway, you need to explain in detail what the virus's purported behavior is, the name of the executable that you ran, and the name of the virus (or at least what you think it is).

Also, you need to be aware of what you're clicking and what your address bar says. Since around 2009, the address bars of Your Only Four Options (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera) put the domain of the website you are on in black, with everything else in gray. If you don't recognize that domain, or it doesn't seem to be what you expected, don't trust the site and leave. There are quite a number of malware attacks that are going around that use ad scripts or such to hijack click events to take you to a site that claims that "Firefox needs to be updated" or "You have viruses on your computer" and then asks you to download something. Do not trust those sites.
It took a while for Windows Defender to find it, but as it turns out it was an unlicensed version of Steins;Gate. It was labeled as a browser modifier that changed the respective browser's shortcuts into a .bat file. Luckily, because of how I start my browser (using windows key + r) I avoided running said .bat files, consequently not allowing the programs to actually attack my computer. The process that did this was called environment.exe, which out itself into the shell:startup folder, and caused User Account Control to ask for various other games to install with administrative privileges. I, knowing something was wrong, said no to every one of them, and refused to grant admin privileges until I had fixed the problem. If there is a way to access a full report of all actions Windows Defender took, I will be happy to post a text version of said actions.

Edit: I found the logs and here's what showed up

Code:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender/Operational
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender
Date:          2/15/2017 6:45:49 PM
Event ID:      1116
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:     
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      Lenovo
Description:
Windows Defender has detected malware or other potentially unwanted software.
 For more information please see the following:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=37020&name=BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou&threatid=224074&enterprise=0
    Name: BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou
    ID: 224074
    Severity: High
    Category: Browser Modifier
    Path: file:_C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\3ecdc4e62ebfb280\Kuhosod.dat
    Detection Origin: Local machine
    Detection Type: Concrete
    Detection Source: Real-Time Protection
    User: LENOVO\Ozzy
    Process Name: C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\0869E9~1\ProductUpdt.exe
    Signature Version: AV: 1.235.2880.0, AS: 1.235.2880.0, NIS: 116.72.0.0
    Engine Version: AM: 1.1.13407.0, NIS: 2.1.12706.0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender" Guid="{11CD958A-C507-4EF3-B3F2-5FD9DFBD2C78}" />
    <EventID>1116</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-02-16T00:45:49.858488300Z" />
    <EventRecordID>309</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="2160" ThreadID="1416" />
    <Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Windows Defender/Operational</Channel>
    <Computer>Lenovo</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="Product Name">%%827</Data>
    <Data Name="Product Version">4.10.14393.0</Data>
    <Data Name="Detection ID">{25FB5A1A-17E2-49B0-8B84-06B58DDDC36A}</Data>
    <Data Name="Detection Time">2017-02-16T00:45:48.553Z</Data>
    <Data Name="Unused">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="Unused2">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="Threat ID">224074</Data>
    <Data Name="Threat Name">BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou</Data>
    <Data Name="Severity ID">4</Data>
    <Data Name="Severity Name">High</Data>
    <Data Name="Category ID">13</Data>
    <Data Name="Category Name">Browser Modifier</Data>
    <Data Name="FWLink">http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=37020&amp;name=BrowserModifier:Win32/Prifou&amp;threatid=224074&amp;enterprise=0</Data>
    <Data Name="Status Code">1</Data>
    <Data Name="Status Description">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="State">1</Data>
    <Data Name="Source ID">3</Data>
    <Data Name="Source Name">%%818</Data>
    <Data Name="Process Name">C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\0869E9~1\ProductUpdt.exe</Data>
    <Data Name="Detection User">*user*</Data>
    <Data Name="Unused3">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="Path">file:_C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Local\3ecdc4e62ebfb280\Kuhosod.dat</Data>
    <Data Name="Origin ID">1</Data>
    <Data Name="Origin Name">%%845</Data>
    <Data Name="Execution ID">1</Data>
    <Data Name="Execution Name">%%813</Data>
    <Data Name="Type ID">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Type Name">%%822</Data>
    <Data Name="Pre Execution Status">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Action ID">9</Data>
    <Data Name="Action Name">%%887</Data>
    <Data Name="Unused4">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="Error Code">0x00000000</Data>
    <Data Name="Error Description">The operation completed successfully. </Data>
    <Data Name="Unused5">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="Post Clean Status">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Additional Actions ID">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Additional Actions String">No additional actions required</Data>
    <Data Name="Remediation User">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="Unused6">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="Signature Version">AV: 1.235.2880.0, AS: 1.235.2880.0, NIS: 116.72.0.0</Data>
    <Data Name="Engine Version">AM: 1.1.13407.0, NIS: 2.1.12706.0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours