3%  [ 1 ]
I HATE IT
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

PT_: I assume you're Dutch?
JWinslow23 wrote:

Definitely Very Happy
I haven't solved it, but in hope it may give a help to someone else:
I think it must be significant that all of these are primes.
A is: 1st prime, 1st prime, 2nd prime, 791st prime, 25th prime, 4th prime, 95th prime, 4th prime.
B is: 3rd prime, 1st prime, 115th prime, 3rd prime, 4th prime, 24th prime, 15th prime, 2nd prime.

Which has the effect of reducing it to two new sequences, which I can't make sense of!
Well, my brother has the solution for both sequences Very Happy
a) are the first X digits of... sqrt(5) !
b) are the first X digits of... 10/19 !
It's so easy now that I know it Wink I only need to figure out of how many digits the next number consists
Going by what OldMathTeacher said, each entry concatenates more digits until it becomes prime. A's next value is 89, while B's is 6842105263157894736842105263157.
Well done guys! I'm delighted to see these solutions, even if my share in finding them was almost insignificant. I love this kind of problem, although this one was definitely too hard for me.
Let's have more sequences!

a) V, G, C, R, D, J, F, Z, I, A, N, H, B, ?, ?, ?

b) 3, 22, 1, 9, 18, 10, 21, 27, 23, 55, 66, 90, 5, ?, ?, ?

Very Happy
^^ Very funny PT_

Easy way to find squares of #'s near 50:
I will use 54 as an example!

Step 1:
Find how far away it is from 50 (Subtract!)

Code:
54-50=4

Step 2:
Add that number to 25, and multiply by 100

Code:
25+4=29
29*100=2900

Step 3:
Square the number from Step 1, and add it to the number you got in Step 2

Code:
4^2=16
2900+16=2916

And that's it!
54^2 is 2916, and it works with any number within (but not including) 10 of 50.

I am not sure if this works with all numbers (I.E. instead of 25, you do n/2), but feel free to correct me!
Define x to be the number you found in Step 1.

(50 + x)² = 2500 + 100x +x².

Yes, this is the easiest way to do it and, as the expansion here shows, it doesn't have to be within 10 of 50.
E.g. to find 67², so x = 17.
Add it to 25: 42, then multiply by 100: 4200.
Square the x: 289, and add to the previous result:
67² = 4489.

It works for negative x too.
I have to say this because nobody I know has as much appreciation for advanced mathematics than me.
If you are looking for a good book to read on mathematics that is more of a history lesson while teaching you a little bit about math, I recommend Fermat's Last Theorem by Amir D. Aczel. It goes on about the history of math that relates to FLT from Pythagoras to Andrew Wiles who proved FLT(no, not a spoiler). It touches on advanced geometry, the complex plane, modular forms, and elliptical curves. It is inspiring me to study advanced mathematics, and like many past mathematicians, as a side hobby.
FLT:(paraphrased)
a²+b²=c²
There are no whole numbers greater than two in which the base can be split into the sum of two whole number bases with the same power.
Example:
a³+b³=c³ does not exist in which a, b, and c are whole numbers.
PT_: Is there a graphing program for the ti83 plus that can graph equations like the ones on the cup, that have only x on one side?

Like x=2abs(sin(y))
Switchblade wrote:
PT_: Is there a graphing program for the ti83 plus that can graph equations like the ones on the cup, that have only x on one side?

Like x=2abs(sin(y))

You can indirectly achieve this using parametric graphing, where

Code:
X=2abs(sin(T))
Y=T

Make sure that Tmin and Tmax in the window settings are set to the minimum and maximum Y values.

Alternately, you could use a program (such as this one that I found after a cursory search) to graph the equation.
seanlego23 wrote:
I have to say this because nobody I know has as much appreciation for advanced mathematics than me.
If you are looking for a good book to read on mathematics that is more of a history lesson while teaching you a little bit about math, I recommend Fermat's Last Theorem by Amir D. Aczel. It goes on about the history of math that relates to FLT from Pythagoras to Andrew Wiles who proved FLT(no, not a spoiler). It touches on advanced geometry, the complex plane, modular forms, and elliptical curves. It is inspiring me to study advanced mathematics, and like many past mathematicians, as a side hobby.
a²+b²=c²
There are no whole numbers greater than two in which the base can be split into the sum of two whole number bases with the same power.
Example:

I'd have thought you'd be better off with Simon Singh's book of the same title, based as it is on his substantial interviews with Wiles and some of his Princeton colleagues. All the reviews I can find which compare the two books prefer Singh's. I wish too that the BBC documentary which foreshadowed his book was available on DVD, as it brings out the human side of mathematical discovery better than anything else I have seen (better even than "The Man who Knew Infinity", since that is a partly fictionalised account rather than interacting directly with the mathematicians themselves).
OldMathTeacher wrote:
seanlego23 wrote:
a²+b²=c²
Example:

I'd have thought you'd be better off with Simon Singh's book of the same title, based as it is on his substantial interviews with Wiles and some of his Princeton colleagues. All the reviews I can find which compare the two books prefer Singh's. I wish too that the BBC documentary which foreshadowed his book was available on DVD, as it brings out the human side of mathematical discovery better than anything else I have seen (better even than "The Man who Knew Infinity", since that is a partly fictionalised account rather than interacting directly with the mathematicians themselves).

Sounds interesting also. I haven't read that book.
Anyone know a really good multivariable Calculus book under $50?
Have fun! Very Happy

The Carillonveld is a popular park at the university where many students spend their lunch break. This park is interesting because its shape resembles a regular hexagon (polygon DEFGHI).
During a lunch break, Amber, Brenda and Cees walk through the park, each of them choosing a different path (A, B and C). Paths A, B and C are parallel to the sides of the park (see the figure below). The hexagon is divided into seven sections, four of which are equilateral triangles (side lengths indicated in the figure below).
Determine:
a. What is the circumference of the entire park?
During another lunch break, Amber takes a longer walk through the park. She first walks along the path from A1 to A2; and then back to A1 via D, E, F, and G.
b. What is the size of the area surrounded by this path?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours