So I was strolling along on the server, with some really good gear on, so I could deal with mobs, and I was not really going anywhere. All of a sudden, I am freaking swimming in lava. Isn't this against the rules? I lost some really good gear, including a maxed sword (besides kb), and a max silk pick (unb 3, mending, silktouch, eff5), which was in a shulker box. I couldn't care less about the items, those are replaceable, but the trap is what really ticked me off. I have no screenshots, and I don't remember where the trap was, but come on, people, do you really need to build a trap that will just make someone rage? Like seriously.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
So I was strolling along on the server, with some really good gear on, so I could deal with mobs, and I was not really going anywhere. All of a sudden, I hit a tripwire and before I know it, I am freaking swimming in lava. Isn't this against the rules? I lost some really good gear, including a maxed sword (besides kb), and a max silk pick (unb 3, mending, silktouch, eff5), which was in a shulker box. I couldn't care less about the items, those are replaceable, but the trap is what really ticked me off. I have no screenshots, and I don't remember where the trap was, but come on, people, do you really need to build a trap that will just make someone rage? Like seriously.
What direction were you heading in?
ACagliano wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
So I was strolling along on the server, with some really good gear on, so I could deal with mobs, and I was not really going anywhere. All of a sudden, I hit a tripwire and before I know it, I am freaking swimming in lava. Isn't this against the rules? I lost some really good gear, including a maxed sword (besides kb), and a max silk pick (unb 3, mending, silktouch, eff5), which was in a shulker box. I couldn't care less about the items, those are replaceable, but the trap is what really ticked me off. I have no screenshots, and I don't remember where the trap was, but come on, people, do you really need to build a trap that will just make someone rage? Like seriously.

North, I think, but I don't really remember. I wish I knew!
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
So I was strolling along on the server, with some really good gear on, so I could deal with mobs, and I was not really going anywhere. All of a sudden, I hit a tripwire and before I know it, I am freaking swimming in lava.
The sign out front said, "Due to griefing, access is invitation-only.---DrDnar" You went in anyway, and apparently thought that the very large combination lock keypad was just a misdirect, and attempted to enter despite the sign.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Isn't this against the rules?
A mod actually suggested I put a trap in there. Fortunately for you, the trap has a hopper at the bottom to catch any gear dropped. Unfortunately for you, I'm leaving it up to the mods to decide whether I have to return it.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I lost some really good gear, including a maxed sword (besides kb), and a max silk pick (unb 3, mending, silktouch, eff5), which was in a shulker box.
Based on what the hopper caught, it wasn't that good.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I couldn't care less about the items, those are replaceable, but the trap is what really ticked me off.
So did the griefing that caused me to put the trap and combination lock in.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
But come on, people, do you really need to build a trap that will just make someone rage? Like seriously.
Obviously, I did feel I needed to do that.
DrDnar wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
So I was strolling along on the server, with some really good gear on, so I could deal with mobs, and I was not really going anywhere. All of a sudden, I hit a tripwire and before I know it, I am freaking swimming in lava.
The sign out front said, "Due to griefing, access is invitation-only.---DrDnar" You went in anyway, and apparently thought that the very large combination lock keypad was just a misdirect, and attempted to enter despite the sign.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Isn't this against the rules?
A mod actually suggested I put a trap in there. Fortunately for you, the trap has a hopper at the bottom to catch any gear dropped. Unfortunately for you, I'm leaving it up to the mods to decide whether I have to return it.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I lost some really good gear, including a maxed sword (besides kb), and a max silk pick (unb 3, mending, silktouch, eff5), which was in a shulker box.
Based on what the hopper caught, it wasn't that good.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I couldn't care less about the items, those are replaceable, but the trap is what really ticked me off.
So did the griefing that caused me to put the trap and combination lock in.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
But come on, people, do you really need to build a trap that will just make someone rage? Like seriously.
Obviously, I did feel I needed to do that.

I did not see the sign or combo lock, and the enchantments were to the best of my memory. I was simply going around exploring the server. You don't have to replace the items; keep them. Sorry for any confusion.
For reference, here is the negligently-hidden sign that did not provide sufficient warning, and here's the maliciously-placed trap to the left of the hard-to-see combination lock. And finally, here are the extraordinarily-rare items collected by the hopper. (The diamond pickaxe has efficiency IV, mending, and silk touch.)
This is my thought process when going through this topic:

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
So I was strolling along on the server, with some really good gear on, so I could deal with mobs, and I was not really going anywhere. All of a sudden, I am freaking swimming in lava

Sounds like your fault. You don't describe your surroundings, I'm assuming you weren't looking where you were walking and walked off a ledge into lava.

Quote:
Isn't this against the rules? I lost some really good gear, including a maxed sword (besides kb), and a max silk pick (unb 3, mending, silktouch, eff5), which was in a shulker box.

No? You walked off a ledge.

Quote:
I couldn't care less about the items, those are replaceable, but the trap is what really ticked me off. I have no screenshots, and I don't remember where the trap was, but come on, people, do you really need to build a trap that will just make someone rage? Like seriously.

I'm still thinking this is a rouse to get an admin to replace your gear due to your negligence. But let's continue.

Quote:
ACagliano wrote:
North, I think, but I don't really remember. I wish I knew!

Granted, the question asked for a direction but you could have mentioned something like "North through a mesa." That'd at least give me, or someone, a better idea where you were on the map. Since North can literally be any where on the map. Or at least tell us North a point of reference, but I assume everyones reference point is spawn so I figured it has to be somewhere on the upper half of the map, which is a lot of ground to cover if I were to search for a rogue trap. Pro Tip: I wouldn't even bother looking, though I would probably look around the Mesa area if you said/deduced you were there.

DrDnar wrote:

Ah, so it was not your own fault. I'm putting more blame on DrDnar since I don't know if it's an open area with a sign somewhere, thus easy to miss.

Quote:

I don't know what mod said to do this but I believe a trap is in pretty bad taste; We are a non-PvP server and traps are, in my opinion, exclusively a PvP tactic and have no place on the server. Unless of course, it's a PvP arena or something of the sort where it's at least expected. You should certainly give those items back.

I saw the photos and the sign was clearly put next to the only (pictured) entrance. In general, players should look for and read signs before entering locations. I'm not sure where the trap is, is it triggered by the combo lock or behind the painting? I have no idea. I still think the items should be given back.

I'm not sure why there needs to be a trap in the first place but perhaps we can work together to find a better way to secure the area or build it back to what is was before it was griefed.
Let me explain:
This is not about the items (I don't really care about them, and I can get them back myself). I did not know that the trap was suggested by a mod. I am just stating that there was a trap, I am against traps in general, I died in the trap (which is my fault), and that there is a trap somewhere.

I seriously could not care less about my death/loss of items, and I feel like the trap should be removed. It was effective, though Smile. I suggest that any entrances should be hidden (and maybe protected), not trapped. X-ray is bannable, after all.

A plugin idea for the server, which would reduce griefing if used properly.
Lockette
Alex wrote:
I still think the items should be given back.
I've placed them in a chest at 339 69 -260. There is a sign on the chest with the player's name.

Alex wrote:
I'm not sure where the trap is, is it triggered by the combo lock or behind the painting?
It's behind the painting. It's just a drop into some lava, with a piston that traps you in the lava.

Now that I think about it, I actually could adapt the lock to trigger a trap if you entered the wrong combination. But I'm not going to do that. There isn't space, and I'd be bound to trigger it on myself from time to time.

Alex wrote:
I don't know what mod said to do this
tifreak8x suggested I have a trap tigger when an incorrect code was entered in the combation lock; I said I wouldn't implement that. Although, he didn't suggest it be a trap that kills, just shoots a potion of harming or something at you.

Alex wrote:
I'm not sure why there needs to be a trap in the first place. . . .
It's there so that if a griefer decided to ignore the sign, and wanted to break in, said griefer would choose the painting, instead of trying to break through the redstone lock.

Alex wrote:
[P]erhaps we can work together to find a better way to secure the area or build it back to what is was before it was griefed.
Aside from the lock, the only other thing to do is to make it a very-expensive towny.
DrDnar wrote:
Alex wrote:
[P]erhaps we can work together to find a better way to secure the area or build it back to what is was before it was griefed.
Aside from the lock, the only other thing to do is to make it a very-expensive towny.

Yeah. I really think there needs to be a more expansive anti-greifing plugin on the server. Perhaps, Alex could (idk if this is within his power) add a plugin that can lock chests, or some kind of protection measure that prevents players from breaking blocks in a boundary (But perhaps make it less effective, like you have to select the blocks it protects or only certain kinds of blocks, so that players are encouraged to buy a town)
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
DrDnar wrote:
Alex wrote:

Yeah. I really think there needs to be a more expansive anti-greifing plugin on the server. Perhaps, Alex could (idk if this is within his power) add a plugin that can lock chests, or some kind of protection measure that prevents players from breaking blocks in a boundary (But perhaps make it less effective, like you have to select the blocks it protects or only certain kinds of blocks, so that players are encouraged to buy a town)

We do have a system like that already installed. It is called Towny. DrDnar (or anyone else on the server) is capable of creating a town and purchasing plots to expand the town (to a limit). On of the things that can be done there is to prevent people not a part of the town from being able to break any of the block in there. If a block is placed over a chest, it would lock the chest.

That being said, there have been some comments on the cost of putting up a town on a server that is supposed to be PvE except for certain conditions. The biggest one is mutual consent to be in a PvP situation with another player (e.g. the arena matches that Acaglino hosts in the arena that he built). Griefing and stealing is not allowed, inside or outside of a town.

While I am not a mod or an admin of the server, I do feel that players should have a reasonable right to protect their property as well though. However, a killing trap might be a bit extreme. With people able to use /home and /spawn, having them fall down a hole to where they might need to use the teleportation commands to escape could be sufficient to keep people away. Of course, my definition of reasonable can be different from other peoples, in either direction.

I will say this though. I agree with what Alex posted about your deaths. The lack of details are kind of suspicious if I say so. Most people have a fairly decent idea of where they are at when they are moving in the overworld. I would say that there isn't much out there that would be built up without some type of memorable structure to be seen. As such, you should be able to find your way back to where you died and if it was truly a player trap, have a decent idea of what got you. With our Abba worlds, there is little reason to be randomly floating around the overworld just looking for resources, especially at the surface.
Quote:
Let me explain:

I stated my thought process while reading this topic because the original post lacked pertinent information. It was a passive aggressive way to point out that you could have told a lot more detail than you initially gave us. I won't do anything for anyone if I'm given such vague information. You said you were traveling North when you hit the trap and I presume that covers every thing North of spawn. Which is a lot of blocks to cover, and I'm simply not going to do it. If you were able to narrow it down in your original post, to a specific biome or a range of coordinates, I would probably be slightly more inclined to help.

But even with that information, there's no description of the trap or the surroundings. Were you above ground or underground? The map is, I think, 3000x3000 blocks? So, that's 4.5 million surface blocks. Assuming an average of about 80 blocks above bedrock that gives us roughly 360 million blocks [/I]for half the map[/I]. Any descriptions about the surroundings will help significantly reduce the amount of blocks I need to check and allow me to focus more closely on the described area.

And yes, I agreed that a trap should never have been used. I know the items are a huge importance to you but it's still something I'd want to look into. Investigate the area and discover the player who created the trap and, if necessary, take disciplinary action. But thankfully DrDnar stepped forward and explained why he made the trap and presented that the area was clearly closed off - meaning someone had to intentionally enter - and labeled it as unsafe via a sign by the door.

Look at this as a bug report. When someone says "This feature is broken" the first questions from the developer are usually, "Software version, OS version and what steps can I take to replicate it?" If it's a web page like Cemetech then we like to know what browser is used because there are differences. The more information that is presented up front, the faster you can receive help.

We are still looking into ways to prevent chest access. The problem with Lockette is that is requires users to explicitly lock a chest. Most of our stealing comes from players who aren't moved to the "members" list of the greylist. Visitors can't break blocks but they can open chests, we're looking for plugins that can prohibit specific groups from opening chests since members on our server are aware of the no stealing rule.

But if a player is really paranoid, they can found a town to protect their chests and items. I know, towny is expensive and I'll be putting out Part 2 of the Survey responses soon. But until then you can see some of my propositions here.
Alex wrote:
And yes, I agreed that a trap should never have been used. I know the items are a huge importance to you but it's still something I'd want to look into. Investigate the area and discover the player who created the trap and, if necessary, take disciplinary action. But thankfully DrDnar stepped forward and explained why he made the trap and presented that the area was clearly closed off - meaning someone had to intentionally enter - and labeled it as unsafe via a sign by the door.
I'm going to provide a counterpoint to this. Provided that it's obvious that you're entering a restricted area, including signs that indicate an area is private, building traps seems like a way to exercise people's desire (and skills, given our playerbase) at creating clever machines. PvP in the sense of coming up to someone who doesn't want to be killed and killing them is not allowed. However, PvE in the sense of going somewhere dangerous and getting killed by the dangers (environmental lava, mobs, etc) is very much allowed. If there are signs that indicate you're going somewhere private and/or dangerous, that seems to me to be you agreeing to be somewhere that could kill you (including because stealing and griefing is explicitly disallowed, and the intelligent player should extend that to intruding). Hell, I considered making traps when DrDnar kept glitching (ie, eating chorus fruit) to get into my skyscraper.