I'm getting started on learning asm because BASIC cannot keep up with the ambitious projects I want to pursue. One thing I found was the bcall instruction, and I was wondering to what extent it can be used. For example, I found some arguments on http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=84PCSE:OS:Include_File such as tMul and tDiv and wondered if those could be used in place of a lengthy algorithm.

Thanks in advance!
tMul and tDiv are merely tokens used in BASIC programs. The bcall syntax is a macro used to execute system calls present in the OS. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask! Smile Anywho, welcome to Cemetech! Very Happy Nice to see some new programmers Smile
Thanks for the reply!
Anyways, is bcall only used for access to system data/tokens or are there any exceptions (eg. a calculation)?
bcall (B_CALL, BCALL, or however people these days want to use it) is used because the memory is paged. This makes it so routines exist on different pages, so it is necessary to swap them in and out in order to execute a particular function. It is used primarly with the underscored system routines in the include file, such as _FPDiv , and _FPMult. Out of curiosity, you do have a CSE and not a CE, correct?
I see...I'll see if that will come in handy.
To be precise:
Ti 84 + c se

EDIT: I saw a few examples of bcall, and from what I could gather some floating point operations could be carried out with bcall(_[FPAdd,FPSub,etc.]). I also noticed that they seem to use the OP# equates. Is there a special way to work with them or do I treat them as an 8-bit register?
OPx's are the 11 byte OP registers. They are used for floating point operations in a lot of cases, and you have to work with them as it is defined in the ASM tutorials Smile Feel free to check out the information, and read the whole 28 days too please Smile

http://media.taricorp.net/83pa28d/lesson/day18.html
Thanks for the link! I'll see what I can find.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours