I want to dabble in some c so I wanted to make LOA. Since there is Oiram, why not The Legend Of Adlez. Right now the world map is divided into 4 quadrants, because I had difficulty with the tilemap world height and size being displayed. At the moment, link can freely move around the world without colliding into anything.

link.8xp

Github

I have some questions:
1. Should I have everything in one file. I have my sprites and quadrants in the same program file as the game, instead of having them in Appvars?

2. Is there a better way of clearing link? I have a "buffer" using a function.

Code:
#include "includes.h"
#include "render.h"
#include "animate.h"
#include "link.h"
#include "processEvents.h"
//#include "moveScreen.h"

void render(gameState *game, Link *link, gfx_tilemap_t *tilemap, unsigned *x_offset, unsigned *y_offset) {
    gfx_TransparentSprite_NoClip(link->clear, link->x, link->y);

animate(game, link);
    //moveScreen(link, tilemap, x_offset, y_offset);
    processEvents(game, link, tilemap);

gfx_GetSprite(link->clear, link->x, link->y);
    gfx_TransparentSprite_NoClip(link->sprites[link->direction], link->x, link->y);
    gfx_BlitBuffer();
}

The processEvents has a long enough "buffer" to where link doesn't leave a trail. processEvents would be in main.c, while moveScreen would be in render.c; I have them flipped for the purpose of having link not leaving a trail.

3. Also how does the gfx_GetTile work. Is it possible for me to use it as a form of collision detection?
Awesome work so far! Very Happy

1. Separate files is fine. It would be a little bit easier to use I imagine; you can use convhex to convert binary files directly to appvars.

2. Yes; although it may be somewhat weird; it would be much simpler to redraw the entire tilemap each frame. Just execute a call to gfx_Tilemap in your main loop.

3. gfx_GetTile returns a pointer to the tile with the given pixel coordinates. So if you do *gfx_GetTile, you will get the value of the tile; which you can use to check collisions.

Good luck! I see many optimizations in your code; I may suggest some thing later on Smile
That looks Great! Good luck in development! Smile
Wow, that looks really cool. Very Happy

Btw, for someone who knows C#, would programming calculators in c be easier than assembly?
I don't know C#, but C would probably be easier.
This looks great! Awesome job so far Smile

Switchblade wrote:
Wow, that looks really cool. Very Happy

Btw, for someone who knows C#, would programming calculators in c be easier than assembly?
Depends on how experienced you are with C#, and how good your knowledge of pointers, etc. is. I feel that if you're interested in learning Assembly, then definitely do it. I think it's a great exercise for any programmer.

Of course, C is also a great language to know too. I've not tried doing any C coding on the 84+CE yet, but a lot of people have been putting it to good use! Smile
Oh, yeah, I'm intent on learning asm. I have made a program so far that uses the up and down keys to switch between three different screens. I feel like I don't quite understand asm, but that I am just on the verge of "oh, I get it!"

Btw, SQRXZ is looking incredible! Very Happy
Wow looking really cool and another great showcase for the power of C on the CE Smile.
Looks really great, and yay, another C program! Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours