i want to start programming in assembly but my DOS prompt is messed up. it says something like AUTOEXEC.NT problem or something like that. where can i find a new DOS prompt. oh and i have a windowsxp if that will help with finding anything for help.
lol

lets start off with the basics first, what version of windows do you have?

you can't just "get a new dos prompt", sorry, however, yours is very fixable.

Look in C:\ and you should find an autoexec.bat or autoexec.nt or similar, post the contents of that file here (open it in notepad, do NOT double click it - only post it if it is plain text)
i have a windows xp and i can not even find the batch file you are talking about
lafferjm wrote:
I have a windows xp and I can not even find the batch file you are talking about

go to tools->folder options->(settings i think, its one of the tabs) and select "Show hidden files and folders" and UNCHECK "Hide operating system files" (or something like that)

it should then show up in C:\
Just wait for Kerm to come. I had this same problem and he graciously provided all the files I needed in one handy zip file. After you get those files, save it in a folder you can reach easily. Then save a shortcut to C://Windows/System32. Now you can easily paste autoexec.nt from the folder you saved it to system32. Just wait for someone to provide the download.
i checked and could not see it in case you need to know the error says this

c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. the system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.
well i have already emailed him with the problem and he said to post problem here so hopefully he can help me because i whish to program in basic so bad.
That's why I told you to wait for Kerm to provide the download. You need to get the file Autoexec.nt into the folder System32.
ah, here you go:

http://kb.bighammer.com/article.aspx?id=10003

its amazing what a google search of the error message reveals Rolling Eyes (3rd result - amazing work you did trying to figure out the problem yourself Mad )

for the future: ask AFTER you've spent at LEAST 30 MINUTES searching the web (via google or similar) to figure it out yourself
Perfect. That's just what you needed. I recommend making a new folder on desktop, unzipping the file to your new folder, and making a shortcut from System32 to desktop, so when you ever encounter that error it would be very easy to copy and paste autoexec.nt to the proper folder.
thanks for that now to try a tutorial.
something1990 wrote:
Perfect. That's just what you needed. I recommend making a new folder on desktop, unzipping the file to your new folder, and making a shortcut from System32 to desktop, so when you ever encounter that error it would be very easy to copy and paste autoexec.nt to the proper folder.

no offense, suggesting to make a shortcut to the system32 folder is worthless and does nothing. This shouldn't be a re-occuring problem, and if it is, you have much bigger problems (adware, viruses, spyware, etc..) to worry about than getting a working DOS prompt. Unless, of course, you LIKE insanely cluddered desktops with craploads of shortcuts.

just save the autoexec.nt to the system32 folder, and be done with it. I wouldn't even keep a backup copy
Yeah for now a tutorial. But believe me, you will need many tutorials to really learn Assembly. Ion, Mirage, DCS, and API also help.
i am going to learn ion first if i can find the tutorial i had
lafferjm wrote:
I am going to learn ion first if I can find the tutorial I had

i'd start off learning just regular ASM, and then build off that by learning ION or whatever
and i found my tutorials and thanks for all the help guys.
I also recommend instead of learning Ion, learn MirageOS programming. Detached Solutions should have everything you need to know about Mirage. Mirage programming is Ion programming, but with a lot more features.
Before you guys get supermad, I recommended he come here and ask about that because we were able to solve this twice before. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Before you guys get supermad, I recommended he come here and ask about that because we were able to solve this twice before. Smile

i got pissed because it was the 3rd result on a google search for the most obvious possible search Bad Idea

i hate people that don't bother to do a search themselves Mad

posting in forums for help is fine, assuming the person at least tried to help themselves first, rather than sending everyone else out to do it for them
why was it in the wrong folder in the first place? has somebody been playing with your system folder?

at this point Id wait on learning MOS programming till we find out if DCS will be able to run MOS....learn DCS programming. most MOS programs have an ION version anyway

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours