Oftentimes, when typing in or editting a TI-Basic program in the IDE, lines wind up with a space at the end of them. When I transfer the program to the emulator, I get syntax errors and when I go to the line, the cursor on the emulator is sitting just beyond the command.

I'm not sure how the spaces get there but, from my observations in class, every student has this problem and has to check every line in the IDE for blanks at the end.

I think the fix is that, when a program is transferred to the emulator, you should check for and remove any spaces at the end of a line. I'd also like to see them automatically removed from the program whenever exporting the program from the IDE. That way, when the program from the IDE is transferred to a real calculator, it won't have these syntax errors.
pryorsk1 wrote:
Oftentimes, when typing in or editting a TI-Basic program in the IDE, lines wind up with a space at the end of them. When I transfer the program to the emulator, I get syntax errors and when I go to the line, the cursor on the emulator is sitting just beyond the command.

I'm not sure how the spaces get there but, from my observations in class, every student has this problem and has to check every line in the IDE for blanks at the end.

I think the fix is that, when a program is transferred to the emulator, you should check for and remove any spaces at the end of a line. I'd also like to see them automatically removed from the program whenever exporting the program from the IDE. That way, when the program from the IDE is transferred to a real calculator, it won't have these syntax errors.

The problem with such a parsing method is that sometimes, programmers will want to end a line with a space (or a bunch for that matter), so it would systematically break all programs that have lines intentionally ending in spaces. This is why I think it is better to let the user go through and decide for himself. Also, I've noticed this happening when I copy and paste code directly from a Cemetech post to sourcecoder, but its possible to get around this simply by clicking on the quote button and copying it from there.
mr womp womp wrote:
Also, I've noticed this happening when I copy and paste code directly from a Cemetech post to sourcecoder, but its possible to get around this simply by clicking on the quote button and copying it from there.
That should be fixed so wouldn't be a current problem.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours