Hello! I am searching for a passcode locker for my TI 84 Plus CE. Are there any out there? I've checked and I can't seem to find any.

Also, is it possible to make one of these passcode locks for the calculator without using Start Up Customization by TI? I don't know if that is out yet for the CE.

Please help, it would be awesome!

Thanks,
Blockhead7360
Depends. Do you want to lock up your program or the the calc? Because if its the calc, I'm sure there isn't any for that. As for locking programs you'll have to wait for Doors CE
There's only one that has a released version:
https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1369

And at the bottom of this first post is some nice code that implements a password program directly. Seems like it was never been assembled though, but it should be a simple matter to throw it into spasm and use it.
https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11060&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=88
MateoConLechuga wrote:
There's only one that has a released version:
https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1369

Actually, I think there is two.

Although my version of a password seemed good in premise, I had forgotten that our can easily escape an Input( prompt with [2nd] [Mode]. I was going to repair this by replacing the input command with a getKey code checker and store-er, but, since andressevilla had already released a password checker after that model, I decided to leave it be and work on other projects.

If you want a password locker, I recommend his program more than mine (although I appreciate the reference from Mateo): Password Color
Battlesquid wrote:
Depends. Do you want to lock up your program or the the calc? Because if its the calc, I'm sure there isn't any for that. As for locking programs you'll have to wait for Doors CE

I do have an assembly shell that locks programs for you (I am using Cesium. I was going to wait for Doors CSE, but I needed to do this before the end of the school year and Cesium works out great), I just need something that can passcode lock my actual calculator.

I will try the other ones you guys sent me links to. Thanks for that!
I need to make a password for my CE, and I want the program to run on startup. Are there any apps or programs to do this?
If you wanted to have a program run at startup, you'd have to insert it into the boot code, which from what I've heard, is not the easiest thing to do. KermMartian might have a way, though.
Caleb_J wrote:
If you wanted to have a program run at startup, you'd have to insert it into the boot code, which from what I've heard, is not the easiest thing to do. KermMartian might have a way, though.

That's the same as modifying the OS, and we don't want to do that Smile
You can use a hook to run a specific program whenever an even occurs (like, the cursor blinkers, the homescreen is active ect), and if I'm right, there is something like an ONSCRPT, but I'm not sure how that works, and if you can use it.
ONSCRT only runs after an auto power down or a warm start which is not very suitable in this case. Modifying the OS is preferred way of handling this; because it is a simple matter to uninstall the program if need be. Of course, some people prefer a combination of a raw key hook and OFFSCRPT; I personally do not like this method because someone can simply pull the batteries to get around it.
Hey, so I created an awesome program and intend to sell it to some friends, but I don't want the program to be transfered to others without me knowing it. What I mean is, I will sell it to them, but I don't want them selling it to others without my permission. I was thinking once they pay me, they would have to contact me to get a passcode to open the program, but for every transfer, the passcode would change so the passcode couldn't be shared to anyone without me wanting them to know it. I already know how to edit lock the program so they can't copy it, but I would like to have a passcode lock where there is a different code for each transfer. PLEASE help me out cause I am hopelessly lost. Keep in mind that I am Very new to the world of programming so don't use complicated terms please. Thank you for the help.
Don't sell calculator programs.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Don't sell calculator programs.

^

Also, it's impossible to lock down a BASIC program. Even the edit lock is easily bypassed.
Indeed, don't sell calculator programs at all.
This looks like a dead thread, but I'd like to mention that every calculator has a unique ID, accessible through [2nd][MEM][1]. With a bit of assembly it may be possible to access this ID. So the process would look like this:

Once purchase is confirmed, ask the buyer to supply their calc's ID, and you would put that into your program. When your program runs, it would verify that the ID matches the one in the program, and if not, it will not run.

There are three drawbacks to this, though:
* No assembly support on OS 5.6+ without a jailbreak, so additional steps would be required to run the program
* If a person owns multiple calculators they'll only be able to run it on one of them
* Dumping the ROM preserves the calculator ID (at least with the CE and CEmu), so someone could distribute your program along with a ROM for anyone to run in their emulator

Still, don't sell programs.
Blockhead7360 wrote:
Hello! I am searching for a passcode locker for my TI 84 Plus CE. Are there any out there? I've checked and I can't seem to find any.

Also, is it possible to make one of these passcode locks for the calculator without using Start Up Customization by TI? I don't know if that is out yet for the CE.

Please help, it would be awesome!

Thanks,
Blockhead7360

If you're still looking for something, Cesium has something like this, but I'm unsure how to change the password itself. There isn't a default password so it'll just go directly to the calculator after flashing a password prompt for half a second.
It's very easy to change the password in Cesium through the settings menu.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours