This was largely inspired/copied-wherever-appropriate from this older project where I tried to get this video or one of its variants to play on a calculator in a somewhat efficient manner.

Two days, many tears over lost notes because apparently if you don't test your backups, you ain't got a backup, and a bit of magic with Python and varying libraries, I recreated what I had except it has a much neater process of making a video that doesn't require any intermediate user interaction or arcane commnad-line invocations.

I'm also total Undertale trash and I wanted to do something that involved it. So I chose one particular video and ran the converter. I think it turned out pretty well. Check it out here:

This post is a crosspost from Omnimaga. There's attachment data and something that was spoilered but had to be removed because I couldn't figure out how to get this forum to do that. Oh well. I'll upload something to the archives once I feel confident enough in it and figure out exactly where it goes
Incredible! I didn't know the calculator had such a high refresh rate. I guess the next step would be n-color grayscale instead of monochrome.

I'm guessing the video format is extremely rudimentary, with hardcoded dimensions, one bit per pixel, maybe a per-frame delay, and maybe RLE (by indicating with the high bit that the next byte is not a regular frame, but rather counting the number of times those 7 pixels are the same, with 00 meaning "fill to the end of the frame with this pattern").
That looks impressive and surpringsly smooth, while also not being too blurry. Nice job converting this Smile
oldmud0 wrote:
Incredible! I didn't know the calculator had such a high refresh rate. I guess the next step would be n-color grayscale instead of monochrome.

I'm guessing the video format is extremely rudimentary, with hardcoded dimensions, one bit per pixel, maybe a per-frame delay, and maybe RLE (by indicating with the high bit that the next byte is not a regular frame, but rather counting the number of times those 7 pixels are the same, with 00 meaning "fill to the end of the frame with this pattern").

Most TI-8x calculators will have a screen refresh rate of 60Hz even though you could push around 120 FPS given the delays to each LCD write and the minimum number of writes you'd need to do to complete a frame. The on-calc video runs at about 30 FPS.

The video was converted down to a resolution of 96 by 64 with one bit per pixel. After all was said and done, I pretty much had the exact sort of data I could simply LDIR to a screen buffer. I tried to maintain aspect ratio so the sides of the original got cut off a bit. The compression used was aPACK and I had it compress 22 frames at a time (since LZ-based compression tends to work best with larger chunks) while the actual video rendering is done in the interrupt. Crystal timers were used to achieve the nearly 30 FPS playback rate, though it was more as a companion to the audio interrupt that I disabled for the purposes of this particular video.
So you ended up having to mod the calculator, by installing that crystal timer? Never mind, it's built into the calculator (RTC...).
Looks awesome and runs well!

But ... what happened to the top of you calc?!
tr1p1ea wrote:
Looks awesome and runs well!

But ... what happened to the top of you calc?!

I believe that this is what we call the ;wear and tear' of a well used calc, but I could be wrong.

Also, I always use http://picresize.net when I want to resize my photos, you can give that a shot.
I used this tool, and was amazed at how well it worked! It made me wonder: would it be possible to use this project in conjunction with the USB8x tool to play longer videos?
TiBoy wrote:
I used this tool, and was amazed at how well it worked! It made me wonder: would it be possible to use this project in conjunction with the USB8x tool to play longer videos?

I've asked smart people a few times, apparently its pretty hard. Evil or Very Mad
mr womp womp wrote:
TiBoy wrote:

I've asked smart people a few times, apparently its pretty hard. Evil or Very Mad

Try libusb and life will become simpler from the desktop side.
Wow now make color videos work on the ce
Very Happy Smile Evil or Very Mad Cool

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours