im trying to create a calculator image, in Gimp, to render as a Pic. I set the image to indexed, and tried both 16 and 8 bit. I let it generate an optimum palatte, and exported as png. When I loaded the file into SourceCoder to get a .8ci, the only colors showing up were red, blue, and greyscale. There is green, pink-ish, and some other colors that are showing up grey. Clearly I dont have the right settings in Gimp. Can anyone help? Do i need to import a special palette into Gimp?

Also, I'm getting only part of my image showing up when i set the image to 320x240. Does it need to actually be smaller?
I am not sure, however my best guess is that you need the 2-bytes-per-pixel system (I don't remember the name) as your palette. I guess the colors that are showing up correctly accidentally hit existing colors in the CE palette and the rest accidentally did not.

As I said, this is just a wild guess, though.
ACagliano wrote:
im trying to create a calculator image, in Gimp, to render as a Pic. I set the image to indexed, and tried both 16 and 8 bit. I let it generate an optimum palatte, and exported as png. When I loaded the file into SourceCoder to get a .8ci, the only colors showing up were red, blue, and greyscale. There is green, pink-ish, and some other colors that are showing up grey. Clearly I dont have the right settings in Gimp. Can anyone help? Do i need to import a special palette into Gimp?

Also, I'm getting only part of my image showing up when i set the image to 320x240. Does it need to actually be smaller?

I'm not sure that's the best settings for making a CE pic. The CE has 16 colors which it can use for graph-drawing (and Pics), and SourceCoder has it set up that colors which don't match this palette (which, in your case, sounds like most of them) show up as gray. So generating the best palette in GIMP is not the way to go.

Your best solution might be to edit the pic manually in TokenIDE. It has a built-in image editor, and selecting the BasicColors palette automatically shows you the colors you have to work with. TokenIDE also does its best to make your image fit within the palette, but usually unrecognized colors there are also converted into grayscale; however, it does have editing tool so you can edit the resulting image yourself. As well, your image will have to be 265x165 pixels to fit perfectly in a Pic, so keep that in mind.

Here's a pic of how TokenIDE does with an example image (just a Photoshopped image of Trump on a clown clip-art):

That's with no editing. However, if I wanted to, I could add (say) more orange to his face, or make the background magenta, or whatever.

Hope I helped a bit!
Tried to run the program using mono and wine. What's the actual name of the palette used? In both cases, got the same responses.

Code:

mono /Users/acagliano/Desktop/TokenIDE/TokenIDE.exe

Unhandled Exception:
System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.ThemeEngine ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.ThemeWin32Classic ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.KnownColors ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.GDIPlus ---> System.DllNotFoundException: /opt/local
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Drawing.GDIPlus:GdiplusStartup (ulong&,System.Drawing.GdiplusStartupInput&,System.Drawing.GdiplusStartupOutput&)
  at System.Drawing.GDIPlus..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.Drawing.KnownColors..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Drawing.Color.get_Black () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ThemeWin32Classic..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ThemeVisualStyles..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ThemeEngine..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.SystemInformation.get_MenuAccessKeysUnderlined () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.Control:.ctor ()
  at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Merthsoft.TokenIDE.Tokens..ctor (System.String[] files) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) Merthsoft.TokenIDE.Tokens:.ctor (string[])
  at Merthsoft.TokenIDE.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.ThemeEngine ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.ThemeWin32Classic ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.KnownColors ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.GDIPlus ---> System.DllNotFoundException: /opt/local
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Drawing.GDIPlus:GdiplusStartup (ulong&,System.Drawing.GdiplusStartupInput&,System.Drawing.GdiplusStartupOutput&)
  at System.Drawing.GDIPlus..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Drawing.KnownColors..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Drawing.Color.get_Black () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ThemeWin32Classic..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ThemeVisualStyles..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ThemeEngine..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.SystemInformation.get_MenuAccessKeysUnderlined () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.Control:.ctor ()
  at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Merthsoft.TokenIDE.Tokens..ctor (System.String[] files) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) Merthsoft.TokenIDE.Tokens:.ctor (string[])
  at Merthsoft.TokenIDE.Program.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Anthonys-MBP:~ acagliano$

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours