The TI-85 had a Menu function that would let you program the tabs over the function keys:

The Menu function in the TI-84 Plus CE is completely different, but the tabs are still there (FRAC, FUNC, etc.).

I know the GetKey function will let me capture when someone presses a function key, but is there a way to program those tabs on a TI-84 Plus CE?

(and how do I get lowercase letters?)

Thanks for your help.
philhaney wrote:
I know the GetKey function will let me capture when someone presses a function key, but is there a way to program those tabs on a TI-84 Plus CE?
The TI-84+CE OS does not support such a function, at least not on the homescreen. On the TI-83/4+, you could draw those tabs on the graph screen, but because the graph screen is shrunk on the TI-84+CE, that doesn't work anymore.

The Omnicalc app for the TI-83+ allowed you to have a custom menu feature, accessed by pressing Vars twice. There's no reason that code couldn't be ported to the TI-84+CE, other than that we're not supposed to be able to use hooks, which are properly reserved only for signed flash apps. (We use them anyway.)

philhaney wrote:
(and how do I get lowercase letters?)
You can create a program like so:
Code:
:AsmPrgm84CE    ; Or whatever that token name is
:FDCB24DE
:C9
Enter in that program like a BASIC program, and then run it like Asm(prgmWHATEVER . This will enable lowercase. You can disable lowercase by changing the second line from FDCB24DE to FDCB249E (only the second-to-last character changes).
Well, as you stated, there is the getKey command which will allow you to poll the keyboard for a keypress. If you want to do it like on the ti-85 and ti-86, you will want the menus at the bottom of the homescreen. You could make something similar (like a slow and messy clone) by simply displaying the options and then using the getKey command to figure out what key was pressed. If you want a good example of this in action, you can take a look at ohernandez's Pertiodic table program. It is written in Hybrid-basic so if you aren't familiar with that, the code might look a bit strange, but IIRC, the part where he does the little menu thing is essentially pure basic. It is completely aesthetic though so it is up to you to decide if the slower speed, larger amount of work and bigger code is worth the change from the Menu() command. This makes me wonder, are you doing this to port an old program to a newer calc and want it to look as similar as possible to the original?
tl;dr, it is not possible to easily make menus appear on the bottom like on older models, but you can make a patchy solution with a bit of elbow grease.

EDIT: Here is some commented code to make such a menu

Code:
ClrHome //clear the screen
Output(10,1,"OPT1 OPT2 OPT3 OPT4 OPT5 //display the menu options at the bottom of the screen
Repeat max(K=10+cumSum(binomcdf(4,0 //loop that will end when one of the top 5 keys are pressed
getKey→K
End
If K=11 //going to the right label depending on what key was pressed
Goto 1
If K=12
Goto 2
If K=13
Goto 3
If K=14
Goto 4
If K=15
Goto 5

Of course, this code could be modified slightly to do things like draw this menu on the graphscreen instead of the homescreen, or maybe add some lines around the options to make little boxes.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours