On March 20th, we soft launched the new 1.9 server and opened it up to players who helped build 1.9 spawn and those who were active and constructive members on 1.8. Over time we'll be allowing more people participate but anyone can login - due to our "Graylisting" policy not everyone who joins will become a contributing member of the 1.9 Server. Currently, our map is 2000 blocks square, or 1000 blocks East, West, South and, North from the server spawn point.

We've decided on a small starting map for a number of reasons but most importantly it promotes community. With this, our members will be more likely to contribute and work together by building their homes and towns near each other. This will benefit players shops and also facilitate the creative inspiration for paths between neighbors since the teleportation to other players is disabled.

One of the cool [re]additions to the Minecraft server is the stats information. Just 2 days after soft launching, we've had 33 visitors, with a peak of 11 concurrent, who have broken more than 100,000 blocks, while placing blocks down at less than half that count. The most broken block is stone at 44,000 and the most placed block is the torch at 9,500. The next most broken block is Coal Ore at 7,500. Additionally, more than 2000 mobs have been killed while our members have lost a fight against mobs 61 times. The most dangerous mob so far is the Skeleton and the mob which has been killed the most is the Creeper.

The current community on 1.9 is strong, at an average of 5 users online at any given time. We all hope to see you online. Let us know you would like to participate and we'll (hopefully) swiftly let you know whether you're approved or not. Our members capable of promoting new users are: comicIDIOT, tifreak8x and, ElementalVis. If none of those members are online feel free to ping them anyways as they do loiter in IRC and will likely see that they've been mentioned by name -- their IRC nick names are: comic, tifreak and, Elemental.

Server Rules as of this post:
  • No stealing
  • No griefing
  • Consensual PvP
  • No Advertising
  • No Cursing and be polite.
  • No hacks and cheats. No x-ray. These are instantly bannable.

We use a non-farmable currency for our server, Lapis Lazuli Ore. Each Lapis Lazuli Ore is worth 100d which must be sold to the server by the docks at spawn in order to get the credit in your account. We renew this currency through expanding our border periodically and also holding events called "Abba Caving." Where we generate a new map to host the event. It is required that all participants have a diamond Silk Touch pick and unenchanted iron armor. Abba Caving is a Winner Takes All sort of game. Each ore, with the exception of Coal, has a point value. Usually, participants are in a free-for-all but there can be rare occasions where there will be teams. These events last anywhere from 20 to 30 or more minutes, depending on the number of participants. At the end of the time all players must report back to the Embarkation room for their loot to be counted and scored; each player will have a chest to deposit their ore. Lapis Lazuli Ore may also be found in officially sanctioned scavenger hunts.

Once the participants are done and the event concluded, the Abba world will be opened for regular players to mine and explore. They will be able to mine Lapis Lazuli as well. The world will be left as is after each event and regenerated before each new one. Therefore, it is crucial that players take their items back with them to the home world before they log out as well as not set their home point in the Abba world. As the Abba world may be reset without warning and any lost items whether stored in a chest or by death after such a reset will not be "refunded."

Lastly, our rules state only consensual PvP even though PvP is disabled server wide. This is to strictly promote a friendly game, this however is also to allow players to build their own PvP arenas that an admin can later allow PvP in that region; Just because a player may be in an arena does not mean they consent to a PvP match, always ask permission and do not pressure anyone into PvP. In addition, Lapis Lazuli Ore may be given if enough players come together to form a PvP Tournament.

If you wish to throw a scavenger hunt, please do. Also, get in touch with comic as he may want to include Lapis Lazuli Ore as a reward.
Thanks for posting this up, comicIDIOT! Having more details about the philosophy behind the server, plus its rules, will hopefully help new members fit in better. In fact, this information might serve the purpose of the Minecraft 1.9 server overview page that I wanted for our Play @ Cemetech section. Kudos for being a conscientious administrator. Smile
No problem! Here are some updated stats:

As of this post, we've had 56 visitors, with a peak of 15 concurrent, who have broken just shy of half a million blocks, while placing blocks down at less than half that count. The most broken block is stone at 178,000 and the most placed block is dirt at 29,000. The next most broken block is Coal Ore at 22,000. Additionally, slightly more than 9000 mobs have been killed while our members have lost a fight against mobs 168 times. The most dangerous mob so far is the Skeleton and the mob which has been killed the most is the Creeper.

• We've broken 400,000 more blocks in the 5 days since this topic started.
  • Placed 160,000 more blocks.
  • Stone remains the most broken block but has been broken an additional 134,000 times.
  • The torch was surpassed as the most taken block by Dirt. However, the torch has been placed almost 28,000 times now, or roughly less than 20,000 times since.
    • I do not have a reference for how many times dirt was placed as of the last post, sorry.
  • Coal ore has been mined an additional 14,000 times.
  • We have slaughtered 7000 more mobs since as well
  • We have been killed an additional 100 times from being attacked by mobs.
  • Skeletons and Creepers remain in their respective places.
  • New Stat: Lapis Lazuli Ore has been mined 1,853 times. And... placed 25 times. But more importantly, Lapis Lazuli Ore has been picked up 1,215 times.
  • New Stat: For the one week the server has been up we've played a collective 32 days, that's just over a month of man-hours put in by visitors and members alike.

Happy Minecrafting folks! I look forward to seeing how these stats grow!
One issue I need to state, and I did once before, and I know I'm not alone in this...is the currency being exclusively something that you need an enchanted tool to obtain.

Every other server I have ever played on, if the "currency" required a special tool to harvest, that tool was provided to all members upon joining, in the spirit of a fair economy. Otherwise, the raw state needs to be sellable, at a rate that balances out effects like fortune.

Furthermore, if you consider Abba caving events, another activity that requires that tool, full server events to help produce the currency, not providing that tool excludes anyone not lucky enough or well off enough to have it and further imbalances the economy. That makes it not truly a full sever event.
ACagliano wrote:
One issue I need to state, and I did once before, and I know I'm not alone in this...is the currency being exclusively something that you need an enchanted tool to obtain.

Every other server I have ever played on, if the "currency" required a special tool to harvest, that tool was provided to all members upon joining, in the spirit of a fair economy. Otherwise, the raw state needs to be sellable, at a rate that balances out effects like fortune.
We aim a little higher than other servers, both in terms of the difficulty, and in terms of the maturity we expect from our members. We wanted a non-farmable resource for currency (lapis fragments are farmable via villagers), and lapis ore seemed to fit the bill well. It does indeed require a Silk Touch pick, so that makes it harder to start getting money, intentionally.

Quote:
Furthermore, if you consider Abba caving events, another activity that requires that tool, full server events to help produce the currency, not providing that tool excludes anyone not lucky enough or well off enough to have it and further imbalances the economy. That makes it not truly a full sever event.
Similarly, we expect that people will have devoted enough time to building up a base and tools (including Silk Touch tools) to participate in Abba Caving. I think we're less interested in players who would just hop on for Abba Caving and then never be on for anything else.
I totally understand that sentiment. However, we know that enchanting is a luck based mechanism. Someone may get lucky and get ST in a day. Yet, someone may have rotten luck and go months and never draw ST. So, in a way you're making luck a factor in the economy which isn't uniform difficulty. That's why I put forward providing 1. It will eventually break so it's a finite handicap to players, and it counterbalances a bit of the start time and the possibility of negative luck.

It would be a much bigger sin if builds weren't protected by antigriefing/anti-raiding rules regardless of township. I'll leave it at a personal opinion and humbly ask you to consider the validity of my points and keep it in mind as things progress.
ACagliano wrote:

ACagliano wrote:
I totally understand that sentiment. However, we know that enchanting is a luck based mechanism. Someone may get lucky and get ST in a day. Yet, someone may have rotten luck and go months and never draw ST.

What is everyones opinion on having a sign shop at spawn that exclusively sells Silk Touch books? It wouldn't use currency but maybe something else. A stack of iron ingots? Stack of iron ore? Just using iron as an example. I feel it should be something that players need rather than can do without. It could even be 2 stacks of cobblestone maybe?
comicIDIOT wrote:
ACagliano wrote:

ACagliano wrote:
I totally understand that sentiment. However, we know that enchanting is a luck based mechanism. Someone may get lucky and get ST in a day. Yet, someone may have rotten luck and go months and never draw ST.

What is everyones opinion on having a sign shop at spawn that exclusively sells Silk Touch books? It wouldn't use currency but maybe something else. A stack of iron ingots? Stack of iron ore? Just using iron as an example. I feel it should be something that players need rather than can do without. It could even be 2 stacks of cobblestone maybe?

I vote aye.
comicIDIOT wrote:
ACagliano wrote:

ACagliano wrote:

How about a stack of gold ore, since it can't be farmed, and doesn't require silk touch to get?
I vote Aye as well. It should be heftily priced so we are encouraged to still obtain our own, but purchasable using something you don't need ST to get
I've been searching around the web and in MC trying to figure this out. It seems our ChestShop plugin only works with currency and doesn't effectively elicit a trade item for item. In the mean time, if someone wants a ST book, drop me a stack of Gold Ore.

Is a full 64 stack of Gold Ore for one Silk Touch book too much?
I think that is a reasonable price.

Comic, isn't there [Trade] and [iTrade] or am I wrong? I thought there was something else besides buy and sell
I can't find any recent help on syntax for ChestShop (finding posts from 2011?) But I'll search with those in the query. Nothing I found mentioned those trade options.
Unfortunately, it appears that while SignShop supported trading, ChestShop for iConomy Recreation may not. I do wish that someone would resurrect SignShop, because it was a much more flexible and powerful plugin.
I vote for the buyable silk touch book as well; As soon as I saw the currency was Ore, I just gave up on amassing a fortune. (I've never gotten anything silk touch before)
Just kind of want to put this out there, but we have librarians on the server that sell ST books pretty cheaply, And all you have to do to get the emeralds is farm the potatoes/carrots/watermelon and trade with villagers we have at the spawn village. We have 2 clerics in the basement of the community base that sits literately next to a dual zombie spawner. We also would like to set up a trading area to add some villagers in in the spawn village, and I'm sure it wouldn't be terribly hard to get one with a silk touch book trade, but we'll see on that one.

Just pointing out that there are some ways of getting silk touch without having to go through the server/admin to do so.
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I have two mechanics-related questions that I haven't been able to get precise answers for:
1) Vertical village-to-village distance, because I want to make one small villager-powered farm, and I don't want them to yearn for the Guardian+iron golem farm below them. My understanding is that villagers' feet must be precisely 64 meters above the bottom pane of the village's wooden doors for them to not try to go to it, but I've also seen 65 meters. Does anyone know the precise answer?
2) Preventing mob/slime spawns: My vault will likely take one huge floor at the bottom of my skyscraper, but it overlaps several slime chunks, and although the idea of slime farms above the vault sounds nice, slimes in the vault sounds less exciting. Apparently top-half slabs will still spawn mobs. Other than glass, what blocks can I use for my floor to both have solid-looking and lighting blocks interspersed (including sea lanterns under glass, if I must), and prevent mobs, especially slimes, from spawning?

Thanks in advance!
About the silk touch books, if you want to ping me on irc or on the server, I have librarians that sell every book type. Silk is 7 emeralds, I think, so just ping me and I can hook you up Wink

Also, about server load, would a small item sorter (for about 20 items) and a small automated farm be ok? I don't want to have to much going on Wink
I think this is the right topic in which to post this. If you have spent any amount of time on our server, you know that to save the overworld from massive resource-collection destruction, we have a mining world. For the most part, our members have been respectful of using the mining world for all of their resource-gathering instead of griefing the overworld, which we appreciate. In addition, our mining world is internally called the Abba World for the obvious reason: it's where we hold our Abba Caving matches. For both Abba Caving and resource-gathering, we frequently need fresh copies of this world. Although we had a mostly automated process to periodically refresh this world, limitations of our plugins meant that there was still one manual step, so the Abba World could only be refreshed when an administrator specifically came to do so.

Thanks to LennartVH01, we have a new plugin that performs the missing task. He wrote us an AbbaRegen plugin that takes over some of the tasks previously in our automated script, adding the important missing piece of setting the center and radius of the world border after the new world is generated. With this additional plugin, we can now refresh the Abba World fully automatically. From now on, a new Abba world will be generated at 2am EST every Tuesday and Saturday morning, and if you're lucky, DrDnar won't have been selfish and already taken all the good stuff in the world. Thanks again to LennartVH01 for his programming work, the other staff for their help, and our users for their patience.
Awesome work. This helps out in a few ways as one can imagine. The first of which we won't have to hear tifreak8x complain anymore about the lack of refreshes. This also makes things a bit more consistent on when updates will occur, which is always a good thing. Of course, I have to remember to make my way into that world every so often instead of just hanging out at my base working on some overly done redstone based farming contraption.

Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours