Would you like to see this become a reality?
Yes
 87%  [ 48 ]
No
 12%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 55

Would it be possible to make a TI-84 plus emulator on a TI-84 plus CE? I think that this would be a cool project to endeavor on, for there are some amazing TI-84 plus programs, that won't work on a TI-84 plus CE (eg, screen resolution). If this would be possible, I think that it would work by having a set up so that a shell would open programs, that are in a specific area of the Calculator, and run them at the resolution of the TI-84 plus.

If anybody has ideas about how to do this, please reply, and if there is somebody else other than me (I would be really slow at it) that would like to help make this, also reply.
this actually seems really interesting, nice job. i dont have the ability to know that but it would be really cool. i just started to dive into coding this year Good Idea
I like this, but here's a few roadblocks:
1. The 84 has a screen size of 96x64 pixels, while the CE has a screen size of 320x240 pixels. Anything on the 84 will appear tiny on the CE. You'd have to do some code tweaking.

2.You would have to be really, really good at Assembly to even pull this off.

If you do decide to continue with this, good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions. Very Happy

If you do decide to do this, you'd have to have a scale factor of about 3 vertically, and 3.75 for horizontal.
Sounds really cool! I have always wanted to have a way to instantly port monochrome programs to the CE. Here are my suggestions (I don't know how to do them but they might help):
1) Have a checker-type thing go through the code and ensures that all of the tokens are compatible
2) I'm clueless. Maybe some assembly to treat a square of 4 or 9 pixels as 1 (this would increase the size of what is displayed, but not fill the entire screen)? You would also need to change what the tokens looked like (letters and numbers, etc look different on the monochrome and color because they are not directly scaled.

Also, welcome to Cemetech!
Kydapoot wrote:
Sounds really cool! I have always wanted to have a way to instantly port monochrome programs to the CE. Here are my suggestions (I don't know how to do them but they might help):
1) Have a checker-type thing go through the code and ensures that all of the tokens are compatible
2) I'm clueless. Maybe some assembly to treat a square of 4 or 9 pixels as 1 (this would increase the size of what is displayed, but not fill the entire screen)? You would also need to change what the tokens looked like (letters and numbers, etc look different on the monochrome and color because they are not directly scaled.

Also, welcome to Cemetech!

MateoConLechuga tried something like this, iirc. He called it Mono2Color, and it was for the CSE. It was a manual process, though.
From all of the comments I have gotten, I shall start work on it, once I figure out a good system.
sound great! I would definitely want to be able to emulate 84 games on me 84 ce.
Support routines to take care of buffer copy and scaling for the CE do exist and the result is pretty fast, including mono2color and some experiments by Runer112 and myself.
But, none of those things are available to people like me, who would really like to use 84+ stuff on my CE... ;P
I'll help Very Happy
It could perhaps be possible to intercept some drawing-related bcalls. The approach could also be similar to how Windows runs 32-bit programs on 64-bit hardware (WoW64).
Reactions!

Looking at the title: Inception, much?
Voting at the poll: **** yeah!
Reading the post: Totally possible, but it would take a long time, probably.
Scrolling through the comments: Yeah! Agreed. Totally. Good point! (Looking at oldmud0's post) WHAAA?

This is a really good idea, and it would be really awesome to see. I don't know if I support it though. First off, it might prevent people from buying the TI-84+, which I don't see TI being too happy about. Second off, this is a really big project, and I don't like waiting! XD
Actually, it'd be helping TI's calculator business, because people would no longer fear being unable to use 84+ apps if they bought a CE.
Any updates?
When you try sending a program to your calculator that is meant for another, the calculator won't accept it, how will you get over this problem?
The TI 84 family will accept any .8xp and .8xv file (Which has the game and other info stored on it) so that's not really an issue.
EDIT: as you discovered, this will only work with programs, not apps (which have a different file extension for each calculator)
To be clear:

What you can send:

.8xp -Program
    .8xv -Appvar
    .8ci -Picture
    .8ca -Image/Background
    .8eu -The OS/OS Bundle
    .8ek -applications for the CE
    .8xl -lists

What you can't send:

.8xk -CSE ASM apps (probably most wanted, since there are the asm games, and DoorsCSE, obviously)
    Other calculator backups
    A ton of other stuff.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours