Thanks Mateo. Do you know why Gameboy games are available for the TI CSE but not the TI 84 PLus CE?
Smile

EDIT: Also, have you made any other games yourself?
tommyalkhoury wrote:
Thanks Mateo. Do you know why Gameboy games are available for the TI CSE but not the TI 84 PLus CE?
Smile

Because the emulator isn't available for the CE as of yet. Not a project Mateo is working on, as far as I'm aware.

Also, please do not double post if your last post in that topic is less than 24 hours old. We have an edit button if you have more information you wish to convey or ask for.
tommyalkhoury wrote:
Smile

Because this is a community of volunteers who also have lives Smile It is currently in progress.
k, thanks mateo and tifreak
Is the game out yet Mateo?

Tags
Tags wrote:
Is the game out yet Mateo?

Tags

Not to be rude, but I am pretty sure that they will tell you when the game is finished. Very Happy
It looks like super mario advance 4
i like it
Can't wait till this is done!
CHill wrote:
I Have a CE, and would love to help bug test if you pm me test versions.
Same, and what is open-source?
OK we get it
Open source is when everybody can play it
Because of the fear of a trademark suit or a DMCA takedown, I would rather like to make a different simpler game but still have it be a fun side scrolling platformer. Sorry Razz
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Well, I guess I am about to take on a large project here. I'm going to be very careful about this project, because I know the pain in huge projects. Anyway, recently TIFreak and Ivoah were talking about a Mario game for the CE, and so I considered the implications of making one. It is no small task, that is for sure. So today I went ahead and made the tilemapping engine, along with the in-game sprites. There's a small editor (Which I'm going to build first) so that I can place blocks and such. Well, here we go! This is going to take a while.
Smile

Also, here's a demo video of the tile engine doing its thing. I can change 1 byte to change the number of rows that are displayed, so I might alter that in the future. My goal is to make it compatible with Super Mario 1.2 level sets.

Video

Oh, and of course this will be open-source. Smile

Screenshots:

OMG... It looks so realistic! Good job so far! Does anyone know of any good thorough tutorials for ASM? The book that Christopher/Kerm wrote just skims over it, and I would like a little more information on it before starting! Thanks, and good luck with your project!
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Because of the fear of a trademark suit or a DMCA takedown, I would rather like to make a different simpler game but still have it be a fun side scrolling platformer. Sorry Razz

Ah well that's unfortunate...I'm still excited to see what you can come up with though
MateoConLechuga wrote:

WHAT!!!! Surprised
Darn! Oh well, we would all rather have you here to make another awesome program than go to court. Razz
Well, all he needs to do is replace Mario and enemy sprites with something else, alter the rest of the graphics a bit (I have some somewhere anyway) and he's set. He can still provide a perfect Mario experience even without Nintendo's IP. Or he can alter Mario and goombas just a bit and call the game Princess Rescue, in hommage to the Atari demake of Super Mario Bros.
Especially in colour and with the ability to directly utilise Nintendo's assets without much in the way of alterations you are very likely to be hearing from Nintendo - which is fair enough imo.

I think it is a good idea to make a mario-inspired game of your own, there is also the opportunity to make it unique to your tastes and the gameplay can greatly benefit from that Smile.
I'm still not sure why you are worried about a DMCA takedown, I mean, there are tons of programs out there that are the exact same game as an iOS or Android device or other console, just on a calculator, such as...
the upcoming Doodle Jump
https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13048
Super smash bros
https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10584&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=80
Flappy bird
https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1040
https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1454
Mario for the regular 84 Plus
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/259/25996.html

and those are just a few. So I don't understand why you would get in to trouble doing this when monochrome Mario has been out for over 13 years and is nearly the exact same as your program, just without color, and that author hasn't got into any trouble.

I'm sorry if I sound a little ungrateful or anything like that, I know you have many more amazing programs up your sleeve. However, I know everyone on Cemetech was anxious for this to come out, many of my friends kept asking me for daily updates on this and they were very disappointed when I had to tell them that you dropped the project. If you still decide you are worried about a takedown, I guess the community will have to live with that, but I still want to try and convince you to take this project up again.
Wink
Thanks for reading this,
Go make a paradox,
Have a good day.
The reasons why some people are worried about DMCA takedowns now are the following:

1) This game is in color and features graphics from the original games, unlike every past calculator Mario game

2) Nintendo recently started cracking down on fan games. After shutting down Pokémon Uranium and AM2R, they shut down 562 Mario fan games on Game Jolt last Summer.

3) Most Mario games on ticalc.org are much inferior quality than Nintendo games, enough so that the authors could get away by just changing the name and keep the same graphics.

Since Nintendo still doesn't appear to care that much about calculator games, what I suggest is make two different appvars for your game: One with Mario graphics and names, and the other with non-Nintendo graphics and names. Keep the second appvar as a backup, then if, one day, Nintendo shuts down your Mario game, then just replace the appvar.
I see Sad , I like your idea though DJ_O. Wink

EDIT: What's your stand on this Mateo?
TheLastMillennial wrote:
What's your stand on this Mateo?

My stand on this is that I wish others in the community had more incentive to create cool things, rather than people asking for stuff when someone is working their butt off to support pretty much everything Razz

I like DJ's idea.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 19
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours