Hi guys my first post here

I've recently bought a Nspire CX CAS due to me having some difficulty in some areas during pre-cal.

Well now I'm having a problem doing pre cal with my calculator.

We've recently learned about Graphing and finding Vertical/Horizontal Asymptotes and I understand how to graph radical functions but how can find solve one on the calculator to get the HA and VA? Also how do I identify them on a graph?

Thanks for all and any help. If someone can reply ASAP it would be greatly appreciated as i need to know before Wednesday(I have a quiz)
If you've done limits, then you will know that a HA is when the limit as X approaches ±∞, and your ti-nspire CX CAS can do just that. You have to click on the [menu] key, then [2] for the calculus menu, select limit from the list, then you can fill in the limit gui that pops up (infinity can be found by clicking on the pi button at the bottom left.
A VA happens when the denominator = 0, so you can use the zeros command by typing out the word "zero(" followed by the denominator of your function, a comma and your independent variable. So the line to find Vertical asymptotes of the function 1/(x²-1) should look like this :
solve(x²-1,x)
mr womp womp wrote:
If you've done limits, then you will know that a HA is when the limit as X approaches ±∞, and your ti-nspire CX CAS can do just that. You have to click on the [menu] key, then [2] for the calculus menu, select limit from the list, then you can fill in the limit gui that pops up (infinity can be found by clicking on the pi button at the bottom left.
A VA happens when the denominator = 0, so you can use the zeros command by typing out the word "zero(" followed by the denominator of your function, a comma and your independent variable. So the line to find Vertical asymptotes of the function 1/(x²-1) should look like this :
solve(x²-1,x)
I haven't learned limits yet. I do know about how you can go into Analyze graph - Conics - Asymptote but for some reason that won't work for me.
ballestlavie wrote:
mr womp womp wrote:
solve(x²-1,x)
I haven't learned limits yet. I do know about how you can go into Analyze graph - Conics - Asymptote but for some reason that won't work for me.

As the menu option suggests, this option is only for conic functions. It is useful if for example, you have the formula: , which is a hyperbole. You can find the functions that define it's asymptotes, which are {y=x, y=-x+2} (slant asymptotes of course). If you like, a neat thing about the ti-nspire CX CAS is the "Define" command which would allow you to create your own user defined function to find asymptotes. However, this will require a basic understanding of nspire basic.
mr womp womp wrote:
ballestlavie wrote:
mr womp womp wrote:
solve(x²-1,x)

As the menu option suggests, this option is only for conic functions. It is useful if for example, you have the formula: , which is a hyperbole. You can find the functions that define it's asymptotes, which are {y=x, y=-x+2} (slant asymptotes of course). If you like, a neat thing about the ti-nspire CX CAS is the "Define" command which would allow you to create your own user defined function to find asymptotes. However, this will require a basic understanding of nspire basic.
do you have link to such a program? I'm new to all of this so am still exploring the basics.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours