I am quite sad about CT forcing you to use a Let's encrypt certificate to use the site Sad
This newer version of LE does not work with my phone. It also breaks some tools I made (for me) for Cemetech.
Meh! NEVER FORBID HTTP!!!!!!
I'm sorry to hear that Let's Encrypt is causing problems with your phone; that's an unanticipated side-effect of our switch to Let's Encrypt from StartSSL. What phone and browser do you have? See https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/which-browsers-and-operating-systems-support-lets-encrypt/4394 ; perhaps you can add Let's Encrypt.
KermMartian wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that Let's Encrypt is causing problems with your phone; that's an unanticipated side-effect of our switch to Let's Encrypt from StartSSL. What phone and browser do you have? See https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/which-browsers-and-operating-systems-support-lets-encrypt/4394 ; perhaps you can add Let's Encrypt.

It's most likely too exotic. I know how to make some things work again. But the alternative browser (Firefox for Android) does not really work well on my phone (but LE works well). I will not use FF for anything on this phone as it is just such a pain to use and has some bugs on my device.
I am just sad that HTTP is gone. This was such a great way to have a look at new posts (without logging in) when I was on the go Sad
HTTP has actually been gone from here for roughly a year; I think we switched over to mandatory HTTPS last September. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
HTTP has actually been gone from here for roughly a year; I think we switched over to mandatory HTTPS last September. Smile

How sad Sad
Mussigb which phone do you have? Firefox For Android has been the most stable mobile browser I've used but it may be worth seeing if mobile chrome works better than the default android browser.
TheStorm wrote:
Mussigb which phone do you have? Firefox For Android has been the most stable mobile browser I've used but it may be worth seeing if mobile chrome works better than the default android browser.

BlackBerry Classic. Chrome is not possible at all and I wouldn't use it. FF is only installed as a last, last resort if a site does not work at all and I HAVE to use it. It does not integrate at all and has a quite a few bugs.
Quote:

I saw that this week, Mozilla users used more HTTPS connections than HTTP for the first time ever. HTTPS is the norm now, in both the general Internet and the TI community: in alphabetical order, all three of Cemetech, Omnimaga and TI-Planet have switched to mandatory HTTPS for the root page. CodeWalrus and ticalc.org haven't done so... just yet.

Unencrypted communications and obsolete, insecure devices unable to automatically support modern TLS parameters and CAs (it's not like LE is new or weird !) are a liability in today's world, not a feature Smile
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Quote:

I saw that this week, Mozilla users used more HTTPS connections than HTTP for the first time ever. HTTPS is the norm now, in both the general Internet and the TI community: in alphabetical order, all three of Cemetech, Omnimaga and TI-Planet have switched to mandatory HTTPS for the root page. CodeWalrus and ticalc.org haven't done so... just yet.

Unencrypted communications and obsolete, insecure devices unable to automatically support modern TLS parameters and CAs (it's not like LE is new or weird !) are a liability in today's world, not a feature Smile

I bugged the CW admins to keep HTTP and I really hope they do. Let's start a campaign. Keep our beloved HTTP Razz
Muessigb wrote:
I bugged the CW admins to keep HTTP and I really hope they do. Let's start a campaign. Keep our beloved HTTP Razz

If the phone was even relatively recent we'd likely consider it or look at other options but as even allowing http can lead to security issues such as downgrade attacks I don't see that changing. Also there should be a way to add the LE root to the phones trusted certificate store which should solve the issue for you, I would be surprised if BlackBerry did not have a way to do this.
Quote:
I would be surprised if BlackBerry did not have a way to do this.

Indeed, especially considering BBs' usage as corporate mobile phones, and some corporations' insistence on having their own CAs in order to be able to MITM user traffic, or suchlike nasties.
Have you tried installing the CA certificate yourself? Download the ISRG Root 1 .pem and the operating system should automatically ask you if you want to install the root CA. Do the same for the X3 and X4 .pem certs.
In 10 years, HTTP will no longer exist. A forced switch on 100% of the Internet is only a matter of time.

What surprises me, though, is that LE doesn't work for you. On CodeWalrus, I tried accessing the site with my very old Samsung i5510 using HTTPS and I could reach it fine (it did show two warnings about invalid certificates, like everywhere else, but it worked). Like I said there to you last year, I suspect that it's something wrong on your phone carrier's end or the German government (which wouldn't surprise me, considering some of their questionable policies, such as GEMA, which resulted into pretty much 90% of Youtube being blocked in Germany). I know that p2 also had weird issues with his phone (in his case, surveillance-related) and he's also in Germany.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours