My name is Cliff and I live in Oklahoma. I'm 54 and I've started taking some college classes and I'm having problems with a couple of them. One is College Algebra and the other is Intro to Agriculture Economics.

My sister-in-law is a math teacher and she gave me a TI-84 Plus CE she won at a conference she attended. She has been helping me with math and she has shown me a lot of cool stuff about graphs and such but I'm much deeper water.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any economics programs out there? Something that will calculate things like, equilibrium, elasticity, marginality, isoquants, and anything else related to economics that you may know about. Also, if there's a particular math program that works well for Algebra, please point it out. There are a bunch out there and I can't know what's what.

I apologize for my lack of understanding here. Those econ calculations may just be a form of standard mathematics but my math experience is limited, hence the brutalizing aspect of College Algebra & AgEcon.

I used to be a Unix guy so I love writing scripts. Imagine my delight when I discovered that you could write your own scripts/programs. The problem is that since I'm being remorselessly brutalized by Algebra and AgEcon I don't have the time to learn the language right now. I've seen some Algebra programs and I even wrote one to solve Quadratics, (well, wrote is a stretch, copied from a youtube vid is more accurate). Smile

I've got Chem I & II coming up and I've discovered that this calculator can definitely have a positive effect on your GPA. Smile Until i ca write my own, I've at least found an awesome resource for these devices. It's a lifesaver for a guy like me who hasn't been in school for 30 years and who was never what you'd call a math whiz.

Thank you for all the effort you put into this site.

rocket

rocket
Hello, Rocket88. Welcome to Cemetech.
Hi Cliff, welcome to Cemetech!
If you want help with any aspect of programming, you've come to the right place: a lot of the folks on here have what to me are the equivalent of magic powers.
Help with Economics: I hope someone will come through for you. I would be in even deeper water than you, having never studied any aspect of the subject.
Mathematics: with your sister-in-law on the team you may not need any additional help. But I'm willing to give it a go if you want to message me on anything in particular. One word of warning: I've been teaching Mathematics for 37 years in the UK, and I'm aware that compared to the US we use different terminology on a few things. I think there's a good chance that won't become a problem, but it's a slight risk to be aware of.

Best wishes with your college classes,
OMT
rocket88 wrote:
Also, if there's a particular math program that works well for Algebra, please point it out. There are a bunch out there and I can't know what's what.

OK Cliff. So one of the best Algebra programs for the TI 84 Plus CE would be Mathtools. Grab it Here.
Best of luck!
Welcome to Cemetech, Cliff; we look forward to making your stay here a pleasant one!
OldMathTeacher wrote:
Hi Cliff, welcome to Cemetech!
If you want help with any aspect of programming, you've come to the right place: a lot of the folks on here have what to me are the equivalent of magic powers.
You're far too kind, OldMathTeacher. Smile We stumble along and do our best, and we love learning new things.
Quote:
You're far too kind, OldMathTeacher. Smile We stumble along and do our best, and we love learning new things.

It's you that's too kind! If I had magic powers, would I make them freely available for the benefit of all, as you do, I wonder?
"Stumbling along" sounds more like what I do.
My ti82 stats has no hex to bin or oct features, i wrote a program that turns a number into a month.
Ie
Input "MONTH :",M
"JANFEBMARAPRMAYJUNJULAUGSEPOCTNOVDEC"->Str1
sub(Str1,3M-2,3)->Str2
Disp Str2

I am wondering if a similar system could be used to convert a number into hex..

EDIT: Ive had a think about it, prob. Breaking a number down by dividing by multiples of 16, i know it can be done, i just cant get my head round it right now.

EDIT2: Hiya rocket88 im out of my depth here , have you seen the introduce yourself forum its loaded up real fast 128 pages so far....

EDIT3: I am going to keep posting my small progs, they are the basis of bigger progs... (went to blackpool saturday, holiday location, found myself near a supermarket and the train station, nearly missed my bus back??? and no i dont drink...) Confused Very Happy Very Happy

Edit by moderator: Dude, 5 posts in a row within an hour of which 2 within 53 seconds??

Tari says: M-M-M-MONSTER POST. Please use the edit button. Really.

Sorry about that still learning.........

Cracked it....

Program:HEXCONV
"0123456789ABCDEF"->Str1
Input "DECIMAL : ",G
int(G/16)->A
G-16*int(G/16)->B // this is the modulus by 16 bit...
Disp sub(Str1,A+1,1)+sub(Str1,B+1,1)

Its only 0-255 but it works i could try to upgrade it to a 0-65535 version but im lazy signing off.

i believe in opensource you can upload it if you like...

Theres no modulus on the ti82 found a little prog online that does it...
Nice work there! I've always been meaning to get to this, but you beat me to it. Why don't you upload it to the archives?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours