Iambian wrote:
TODO:

* Escheron:
-- Everything.
There's nothing done? Shock

Kidding aside, great work so far. It definitively looks very polished so far, even if not finished.
Update:
* ECE: Total rewrite. Functionally similar besides missing keyboard/mouse bindings. Added font editor, project save/load.
* Escheron: Changed font to the one specified at project start.

ECE2 interface, with the font editor open.
There's also a viewport and some other minor stuff.

A showcase of most of the change in the font and the renderer.
This includes "content" that definitely won't be in the final release.

Notes:
Making a PC-side editor is a helluvalot more involved than I thought it would be. I had to rewrite most of it from scratch since the code kept getting more and more cruft until it became an unmanageable and unfixable mess. The new code feels much cleaner and far easier to work with, especially now that I know what I'm doing. At least, much more than I did before.

Things that were added include the viewport, script labels in the timeline, NPC dialog editor, and collapsible frames. The viewport can also pop-out to its own window.

Things that haven't been put back include a script editing widget, and mouse/keyboard bindings for the timeline and tilemap canvas.

The actual Escheron app had its font finally changed over to the way it was supposed to look from the very beginning. Thanks Zera Very Happy . That was fast work with the newly-crafted (and at that point, awfully buggy) font editor. The returned source made its way back to the app and I modded the font routine a bit to support 1px vertical descenders.

TODO:
* Escheron:
-- Everything. (still)

* ECE(2):
-- Add scriptable transitions to the viewport
-- Add back widgets that were removed during rewrite
-- Fix playback oddities
-- Export a project to something Escheron can actually use
This looks super awesome. One question: Did you create that editing environment window or are you using another program to edit it?
seanlego23 wrote:
This looks super awesome. One question: Did you create that editing environment window or are you using another program to edit it?

From the "Tk" icon at the top, it does appear Iambian made it himself in Python. Now the question is, why is he still using XP?
oldmud0 wrote:
seanlego23 wrote:

From the "Tk" icon at the top, it does appear Iambian made it himself in Python. Now the question is, why is he still using XP?
He's using ME, not XP, if I remember correctly.

Looks very nice, by the way, Iambian :3=
seanlego23 wrote:

The editing environment (and the rest of the app) was written in Python using the Tkinter and Pillow libraries. The editor window is just a widget whose parent is the main window beneath it. If you spotted the edges where I had to edit parts of the window, it's because I couldn't screencap the main window along with the editor due to how I made it a modal window (it would capture just the editor), so screenshotting the whole desktop and cropping it was the workaround.

oldmud0 wrote:
[...] Now the question is, why is he still using XP?

DJ_O wrote:
[...]He's using ME, not XP, if I remember correctly. [...]

I actually use Windows 7.
I happen to like the sharper edges on the windows/buttons, so I themed it that way.
And I also like the reduced memory footprint. On another topic, I *did* use ME for far longer than I did XP, but not for lack of trying. More or less the machine I ran ME on back a long time ago simply wouldn't upgrade to XP because of hardware problems involving a flaky chipset and honestly? I don't remember any more aside from the fact that each time I try to install XP, the installer would bluescreen. Which is incredible since the installer's default screen *is* blue. I stuck with ME and learned to love it. Blue screens on that machine felt more like a warning than an actual problem. It was a great OS and I dearly miss its dysfunctional environment.
Did you have a try with TILED http://www.mapeditor.org/ ?
You can easily tweak it with QT.
This is purely INCREDIBLE... The amount of time you must put into this must be crazy!
NanoWar I looked into TILED it didn't really work for us with out some major back-end reworking (we use an odd format for data*). Plus I wanted to get Iambian to learn some higher level programming concepts among other things, So having him learn some OOP with python and some GUI design concepts (AKA MVC) is really benefiting him.

*Odd format is we use the calcGS tilemapper format just due to legacy reasons as well as that is what our graphic designer is happy using. It frankly is just a int-packed format with "tile palettes". So the maps are just 1-64 tiles and the numbers correspond to the tile that is rendered for it based on what is loaded.

_iPhoenix_ HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you have no idea, we really should be paying Iambian. He practically is working on this full time. His commitment and dedication is just outstanding. This would never have happened if it wasn't for his effort. Hell he has been working on some iteration of this project for the better part of what seems like 7+ years. Really it is incredible.
I knew I had to make this sort of post eventually.
*sigh*. I know someone's going to give me grief for this.

Update:
* Complete rewrite of the Escheron: Twilight over Ragnoth project
-- Text hive objects apart from static elements now build inline with tilemaps to help fill some page gaps
-- Menu and cutscene systems fully redone and consolidated. It's almost like a VM now
-- Map/sprite systems consolidated
-- Hotspots mostly rewritten and optimized
-- Sprite interactions optimized and dead/useless code removed
-- Some simplistic cutscenes have been added back in
-- Battle input menus and enemy scripts added back in
* Changes to the toolchain
-- Aforementioned text hive objects now build from an editor project file. Editor is also included
-- Consolidated all build scripts so asset building takes ~80% less time on Windows (we have nothing for Linux yet (again))
-- Project data optimized to nearly double main build speed. Who knew ".org" was an expensive operation?
-- Added far more points in the source to identify how much space each module takes up

No screenshots. Sorry. Much work remains to be done before
I can announce my total failure to make any progress.

Notes:
Two months and four days. From the initial commit to the new repository to the date of this post, that's how long it's been and that's how long I've been working on the rewrite for Escheron. As for the reason for the rewrite? Long story short, there were too many memory issues and too many things that were either unmovable or I couldn't tell which page any of the data was on.

This all started out when I wanted to integrate ECE2-generated text hive objects and then it all snowballed when I also wanted to change out the text system to something that was Turing-complete (with a minimal register/instruction set). I didn't realize at the time that more than half of the whole game depended on the text system in some form or fashion and at that point I decided I might as well rewrite it all.

I'm still going to salvage as much of the code as I reasonably can because there's just some things I won't rewrite no matter what. Battle magic script system/data, I'm looking at you! Those animations, while fun to make, were also absolute hell to get right.

If you want to track the progress of this rebuild, I do my best to make daily commits to this repository, even if it's "omg everything broke sadfaic".

TODO:
* Escheron:
-- Put vehicular travel back in
-- Re-finish battle system
-- Put back all the maps
-- Put previously coded scripts back in...
-- ...including the Underdeep mapgen script
-- Put back that thing I refuse to mention because superstitions. Or not. It's not important
-- Manually code in the first few cutscenes and get people to test the game up to that point
-- Somehow get all the other cutscenes and events coded in

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 5 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours