Reuben Quest: Lost Between Times

It's been about two years since I started working on Reuben Quest: Lost Between Times, but now it is finally done!

Have fun joining Reuben in an epic adventure, to do so just download it over here: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/468/46837.html
This RPG is full of monsters, caves, secrets, side-quests and much more! With many hours of playtime the fun is guaranteed to last quite some time.

(Cross-post from omnimaga)

Original post:

Yesssss, I am working on a third part of the Reuben Quest series!
This time it is a totally new game and not a remake!!
Also written in assembly this one has way nicer grayscale than reuben2.

Also, to make development for me easier I am writing some development-tool to create tilemaps, enemies and thelike side-by-side while making this.

Here's some (older) screenshot of the moving engine:

And here is some (older) screenshot of how I changed the battle engine:

I released a playable demo, more info/download about said demo can be found here: https://ourl.ca/22113[youtube][/youtube]
Very nice so far. I like the extra tiles and transitions between maps. Do you plan to make battle rounds go faster, though? Else battles might feel more slow-paced than Reuben 1 and 2.
DJ_O wrote:
Very nice so far. I like the extra tiles and transitions between maps. Do you plan to make battle rounds go faster, though? Else battles might feel more slow-paced than Reuben 1 and 2.
Thanks!
I introduced the concept of attack-speeds which are at the beginning slower, of course. If you progress far enough into this demo you should find an enemy (the three small spiders) which attack faster than you do. I do plan on adding things that allow you to upgrade your speed.
In fact, my calculations allow for Reuben to upgrade quite some things:

• Weapon
  • Armour
  • Attack speed
Awesome! Will upgrades cost money, and how will you get the money? Will you be able to sell things?
Unicorn wrote:
Awesome! Will upgrades cost money, and how will you get the money? Will you be able to sell things?
I plan on adding things like treasure chests where you can find such things Wink

Also, hookshot time!
Cool! How about killing monsters, will they just award do or something?
Unicorn wrote:
Cool! How about killing monsters, will they just award do or something?
They will, and do already, give you EXP in the demo.
Those of you venturing omnimaga already know this, well, i kinda picked up this project after all this time.....there's not so much graphical stuff to show off as it's a lot about creating data now (which is quite time-consuming, heehee)

But yeah, there's like, bombs

and, like, an item menu

And some neat cave/house entering effect

So yeah, I sure hope that I'll be able to finish it this time round, it still needs a lot of work (especially story-wise, that's the only thing i've been working on all week, heehee (it's progressing great, though))
Woah, that cave transition and the new bombs look amazing Shock

I'm glad you picked this again. :3
Death animation!

Unfortunately I don't have much to show off currently, as all the new stuff is happening towards map / story / etc, and that isn't really something you can simpely show off in a gif or something Razz
Expect this game to be rather huge, though. I mean huge in the sense that it makes reuben 2 look small
Noyce! You gotta love those grayscale enemies! Very Happy
The game is released now!
I updated the first post with more information
Hi Sorunome,
I know it's been about 9 months since Reuben Quest 3: Lost In Times was released, but I'm typing this for help on Reuben Quest 3 because I love the game and I'm stuck for about a week trying to find out what to do:
-I'm LV 24 in the game(MAX Health Points:5410/ MAX Mana Points:138/ MAX Gold(Current):200), I blasted away rocks to find two hidden caves in the Eastern Mountains, are there more caves hidden that can be blasted by bombs?
-In the Fragile Caves, I don't understand the message: "The number of torches will lead you to what you desire." There are multiple switches that says there is something in it and let's hit it. But nothing happened and then it says There's nothing and then it says again: There is something in it and let's hit it." I keep "hitting" the switch but nothing happens even when it says there's something inside.
-In a cave by Gnah Lake beneath the checkpoint(it's next to the Gnah Lake "Pharmacy"), there is the message of a sign as you venture in saying "What direction did you come in from? Then 4 signs beneath 4 switches saying each direction(Up, Down, Left, Right), I hit them and it says there's something in there but nothing happened when I it them, just like what happened in the Fragile Caves.
-I played the 2nd version remixed by you and I finished with all items: Power Gloves, Hammer, and Swim Suit. But how do I obtain the swim suit in this 3rd Version?
-How do I find all the bottles and how many are there?
-There appears to be a glitch sometimes when I resumed the game, I find myself in Ugana Plains South-Western of the map when I did not reach there yet and one time a glitch made a the coding for the game all appear on the screen(I don't understand it anyway) and I have to take the batteries out of my TI-84 Plus and replace it back for it to function normally. Is there any way I can stop the glitches?

Please help! I want to finish the game because it's awesome but I don't know what to do. Can you perhaps make a walkthrough video on the game? There was one for the 2nd Version on Youtube. Or please tell me what to do.

Thanks!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours