I have just created a single page flash app for use on the TI-83 family of calculators. I have been involved in the process of making this app for the last three months and have completely finished it. It has been tested on the flash debugger and is now being used on my personal calculator.

I was showing it to my friend and he jokingly said that he was going to steal it and sell it to people. He thinks that many people would be willing to pay for the app that I made. I am fully aware of how ill-advised trying to sell a flash app is. I do not expect to make money from this, I just think it would be cool to have something proprietary that I am able to sell. Can someone elaborate to me on the process of procuring a developer key (not the 0104 freeware key)?

Graphing Calculator
Yeah, but I can just download it for free off the internet. Why would I pay for something that I can find alternatives to elsewhere?
I spent the last three months working on my app. I have actually seen some websites selling an app that is actually worse than mine. Like I said, my intent is not to make money, but just to have something proprietary.
Buckley2111 wrote:
I spent the last three months working on my app. I have actually seen some websites selling an app that is actually worse than mine. Like I said, my intent is not to make money, but just to have something proprietary.

MateoConLechuga wrote:
Yeah, but I can just download it for free off the internet. Why would I pay for something that I can find alternatives to elsewhere?
I'm sure what Mateo meant to say is, "nice job on your hard work, but this community usually runs as a meritocracy, with free software." Wink

Is it a math App? Perhaps you're comparing your work to ZoomMath or something similar? TI no longer will go through the process of signing an App for money, now that the freeware keys exists. ZoomMath works by tying the App's validation to your calculator's product ID, via some fairly sophisticated trickery to make it challenging to defeat the checks that prevent the App from working without a valid license key entered (just like paid computer software that works with license keys, oddly enough). If you worked hard on an App written in ASM, I'm sure you could implement a similar system with some work, and at least some of our ASM programmers might be willing to point you towards some of the proper system calls. On the other hand, if it's a BASIC App, you're out of luck.
Yeah I agree with Kerm. IMHO the only way paid software will get a pass in the TI community is in DLC form. For example, release a full, free game, but offer extra paid content (for example, an alternate 8xk file with said content included or some appvars), while making sure the game is still fully enjoyable without said content (unlike Final Fantasy: All the Bravest).
Thank you for the advice, KermMartian. When you were saying that TI will not sign apps anymore, does that mean the the 0104 key would be sufficient to allow you to sell it? If that's the case then the major downside would be that anyone with a link-cable could transfer it. This was more of just a summer project before I go back to school and not a means of business.
From casio prizm experience every calculator has an id - similarly to what Kerm was saying you could incorporate an obfuscated check of that and compile individual apps for exact calculator you wish to distribute your app to but preventing the apps from functioning when transferred from that calculator to another. That would be against the approach promoted in the community here but i can see cases where you don't want something dangerous to be spread uncontrollably etc when such precautions could make sense.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours