This may be a bit late, but a certain news editor is nothing if not lazy...

As we all are aware, not everyone knows assembly, or knows it well enough to make functional programs for (e)z80 calculators. In February of 2010, formerly active community member Quigibo released Axe Parser, an on-calc compiled language for the TI-83+ series. As time went on, the language accumulated a multitude of features, including the reading of OS variables, token hooks in the program editor, link support, and so on and so forth. Maintenance was transferred over to Runer112, and since then, the language has grown further.

But alas, Axe has one minor "problem," a "problem" which has plagued it since the release of the TI-84+CSE: It lacks a TI-84+CSE or CE port, and it may never get one. As we all know, the CSE is rather underpowered, and very few programmers have taken interest in making anything similar to Axe for it. The CE, on the other hand, is a calculator programmer's dream, with a 24-bit ez80 processor, a memory mapped color display, and C language support (Thanks for Mateo and others). It still lacked an Axe port...

Until June 11, 2016, when community member PT_ released version 1.0 of ICE, "an interpreter/compiler of CE-BASIC." Much like its 83+ series counterpart, ICE is an on-calc compiled language. Different from its counterpart, it runs *exclusively* on the TI-84+CE (not, repeat, not, the CSE). The goal of the project is also different from that of Axe. ICE aims to be able to compile most TI-BASIC programs on the CE, while still allowing for greater functionality than TI-BASIC. The first release was very limited, but version 1.1, released on July 7, 2016, added more functionality as well as bug fixes. We can't wait to see what the future holds for PT_ and ICE as a project.

ICE Thread
ICE Download Page

Congrats! I am sooo downloading this....
maybe i dont fully understand how compiling works, but cant the Axe app simply be recompiled using the CE includes file, and a few small code changes?

And this sounds like an amazing project!
ACagliano wrote:
maybe i dont fully understand how compiling works, but cant the Axe app simply be recompiled using the CE includes file, and a few small code changes?

And this sounds like an amazing project!

No, it's not that simple. You don't just need to make Axe run on the CE, you also need to make major changes so that the compiler outputs code that runs on the CE instead of 8x calculators.
JosJuice wrote:
code that runs on the CE instead of 8x calculators.

You are correct with the different code=different compiler part, but pls revise this statement Razz
You mean that the 84+CE would be logical to count as an 8x calculator? Sorry, I'm used to it only meaning 83+(SE)/84+(SE), so I didn't think of including the CE in the term being possible.
Yeah, it was meant to be kind of a joke, it's just that to the best of my knowledge, the 8x series includes a LOT of models (ti-80,ti-81,ti-82,ti-83,ti-84,ti-85,ti-86,ti-89 and all variations on these models) basically anything ti-8*some number*
By this definiton, both the ti-84 plus CE and the z80 ones that can run axe compiled code would be 8x calculators.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours