I have ported the game "Atomas" to the Ti-84 Plus CE. The game has been written in C.

Atomas is a game were you start with a circle containing helium, hydrogen and Lithium atoms.
By fusing two atoms of the same type, you get an atom with a higher atomic number. The goal is to get the element with the highest atomic number you can.
From time to time minus atoms appear, with these you can absorb an atom that you can replace somewhere else in the ring or change it for a plus atom.

Atomas is an game by Max Gittel. You can find the original game here.

Controls:
[2nd or Enter] - place atom/absorb atom
[Mode] - change atom picked up with minus atom in a plus atom
[Right Arrow] - move clockwise
[Left Arrow] - move counterclockwise
[Clear] - exit the game

Screenshots:

Download: Atomas.
Dude, I love it. That's so cool.
I love this game on Android, and I was seriously considering porting it to the calculators myself. I'm (sad|glad) that you beat me to it. Of course, I have to ask if this (1) has authentic scoring, (2) has the correct distribution of element numbers at every given point during the game, (3) has the white circle and black plus atoms, (4) correctly handles using a minus atom to move a plus atom, (5) correctly merges atom when a plus atom is in the right place during the end-of-game sequence, and (6) if you're planning to implement the other modes.
This game looks awesome! Geat job making it look as good as it does, given that I hadn't herd of this game before, I've got a few questions:

1) How does the scoring work? Is it kind of like 2048 where you get the score of whatever new thing you fuse added to a total?

2) Assuming it goes all the way up to 118 and then stops, what happens at that point?

3) How is it challenging (at first glance, it looks like you could go on forever fusing and getting better and better scores?)

4) Again assuming you can make it to these elements, did you use the placeholder names for elements 113,115,117,118 or did you use their new names?
This guy is just good at the C ports isn't he?

Now I want a CE. Rico makes this look EASY! Graphing Calculator
Nice port, I've never heard of this before but it turned out to be quite fun!

I found a bug though, if you get a 'perfect start' and combo all atoms out of existence, it glitches out and you get what appears to be 'a lot' of invisible glitchy atoms, and some highly squished normal ones. It was very strange...
EDIT: Pics of bug, after it was replicated
http://i.imgur.com/Ecz94rM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IT8JWR7.jpg
KermMartian wrote:
I have to ask if this
Quote:
(1) has authentic scoring,
I calculate the score with these calculations which seem to be right.
Quote:
(2) has the correct distribution of element numbers at every given point during the game,
No, I could figure out how the real game does it, so I do it the way this atomas clone does it. It's not bad, but the game is a lot easier than the real game.
Quote:
(3) has the white circle and black plus atoms,
Yes, it has the neutrino and black plus atoms.
Quote:
(4) correctly handles using a minus atom to move a plus atom, (5) correctly merges atom when a plus atom is in the right place during the end-of-game sequence,
Yes.
Quote:
(6) if you're planning to implement the other modes.
I've uploaded version 2 to the archives which implements the other game modes.
mr womp womp wrote:
1) How does the scoring work? Is it kind of like 2048 where you get the score of whatever new thing you fuse added to a total?
The scoring is a bit more complicated in this game. I use the calculations that you can find here.
Quote:
2) Assuming it goes all the way up to 118 and then stops, what happens at that point?
4) Again assuming you can make it to these elements, did you use the placeholder names for elements 113,115,117,118 or did you use their new names?
It goes up to 125, you can find a full list of all the atoms here. I don't know what happen in the real game if you combine two 125 atoms, but in this game if you combine two 125 atoms you get a 126 atom which is a plus atom.
Quote:
3) How is it challenging (at first glance, it looks like you could go on forever fusing and getting better and better scores?)
If you just place the atoms without thinking ahead the ring gets filled fast, so you have to plan how you arrange the atoms to get a better score.

Minxrod wrote:
I found a bug though, if you get a 'perfect start' and combo all atoms out of existence, it glitches out and you get what appears to be 'a lot' of invisible glitchy atoms, and some highly squished normal ones. It was very strange...
Thanks, it has been fixed in version 2.
Awesome! I can't wait to try it out. I thought about someday making it, but I had NO idea whatsoever on how on earth I could recreate the actual gameplay. Great job on figuring that problem! Smile
Very cool work Smile Hopefully the source will be an inspiration to others as well.
After an extensive amount of time playing the game, I finally got to element 125. But once I combine 2 of them, they just disappear. Is this a glitch or the last of the elements?
calcnerd_CEP_D wrote:
After an extensive amount of time playing the game, I finally got to element 125. But once I combine 2 of them, they just disappear. Is this a glitch or the last of the elements?
Yes, element 125 is the last element. They didn't disappear, but because it doesn't check if you merge two of the 125 elements it changes it to element 126, wich is a plus atom.
Just noticed this game does not works with Graphx v2.4, you should specify the version of the libs it requires. Or just recompile it... Wink
mr womp womp wrote:
Just noticed this game does not works with Graphx v2.4, you should specify the version of the libs it requires. Or just recompile it... Wink

Um, no, this is my fault. It appears when fixing the blitting commands yesterday; it may have caused some side issues. Recompiling Atomas works fine though; sorry about that.
I have 2 bug reports, but sadly, I can't replicate them, when it happens.
1) Sometimes, if you pick an atom with the blue negative atom or so, and then I press [LEFT] or [RIGHT] it goes to a *random* location, and then it works fine again
2) I had this only once, so I really doubt this will help you, but I will still say it. I had it once that the program *forgot* to display an atom. So the program displays for example 4 atoms, while there are 5 in the circle. You can only shoot between the atoms, as usual, and the rest of the game looks fine, without the missing atom.

Greate game though! Wink
PT_ wrote:
2) I had this only once, so I really doubt this will help you, but I will still say it. I had it once that the program *forgot* to display an atom. So the program displays for example 4 atoms, while there are 5 in the circle. You can only shoot between the atoms, as usual, and the rest of the game looks fine, without the missing atom.

I've become slightly addicted to this game, and I've had this bug happen to me a few times, In fact, I managed to grab the empty spot with a negative atom just to see what would happen and in fact, the atom does not show in the middle of the screen. I grabbed a picture and a video of me placing the empty atom back.

Here is the video that I had to upload to some sketchy site, which is also incredibly bad quality, but good enough to see what's going on.
https://sendvid.com/07vf887y
Also noticed for the first time that trying to grab a screenshot through ti-connect CE made a bit of a mess:

As for the bug, I noticed that placing an atom to the right of the missing atom makes the normal atom and the missing atom switch places so that the normal atom ends up to the left of the empty spot. Hope this info somehow helps Smile
Quote:
Also noticed for the first time that trying to grab a screenshot through ti-connect CE made a bit of a mess:

That's natural: TI's linking code usually assumes that the screen is in the default mode (for the TI-eZ80 series, 320x240x16 bpp), while community ASM programs usually reduce the color depth, for efficiency reasons.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
Quote:

That's natural: TI's linking code usually assumes that the screen is in the default mode (for the TI-eZ80 series, 320x240x16 bpp), while community ASM programs usually reduce the color depth, for efficiency reasons.

Yeah I assumed it was something like that, I had already seen screenshots taken from half-res mode on a CSE which were also a bit wonky.
This is an addicting game. What's the deal with highscores in this game, though? I haven't been able to get any highscore to save. It's only been able to save when I exit out of the game and go back to it later.

Also, Calcium is a hard element to see. It looks entirely white. It looks almost exactly like the white atoms that duplicate your atoms. Can this be tweaked?

One more thing: I was searching through your code to learn C myself, and I'd just like to say, congratulations (and thank you) for defining a constant called M_TAU equal to 2*M_PI. Wink
I have the same problem with the highscores in this game. Why won't they save? For me they don't save at all.
I'm really sorry, but I noticed a bug in the graphx library with respect to gfx_BlitArea and gfx_BlitLines. It has since been repaired, although this will mess up the display of your program, specifically line 288 : "gfx_BlitArea(gfx_screen, 280, 116, 16, 8 );". If you would be so kind as to change gfx_screen to gfx_buffer and recompile, everything will be fixed, as this coincides with the comment's expected output. I apologize for the inconvenience; finally got around to making those functions work properly.

https://github.com/CE-Programming/libraries/releases/latest

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours