So I may or may not attempt to make something for the contest along the lines of that train simulator to which Kerm is addicted. Also...

Quote:
The game may be be in any programming language, provided it will run on a standard graphing calculator operating system. The use of commonly available shells and libraries is also allowed.

I love to say it, but I found a loophole. C is a calculator programming language, which runs on a standard graphing calculator operating system. Based on your pronoun-antecedent agreement in the rule, the language must run on a calculator. The binaries can run on other things, based on your phrasing.

Quote:
...you are tasked with creating a train-themed calculator game in the calculator programming language of your choice.

So I can make a Linux/Win32 train simulator with a calculator focus, or maybe with a calculator controlled Linux/Win32 train simulator Wink
(Kerm if you let me do this I will love you forever)
Although the phrasing of the rules is a little loopholey, I think they were crystal clear about what languages can and can't be used. If you want to make your game that bad, you should definitely do it, but I'm just saying I doubt it will be accepted as a valid entry if it can't run on a graphing calculator. (even though the exact wording only insinuates it, rather than explicitly mentioning it) Wink
Question for Kerm: If I am allowed to make a calculator-controlled train sim, may I use ArTIcl? There is no rule about third party hardware, but I'm sure most (if not all) of the judges have arduinos.
Yes, an entry that includes hardware components like an Arduino + ArTICL is heavily encouraged. We'd strongly prefer something for the contest that includes a calculator in some way, although you're absolutely correct about the precise meaning that that phrasing implies.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours