I'm not sure if I'm actually going to enter the contest, but I whipped this up the other night in PICO-8. I wasn't really thinking of the cemetech contest at the time, but I think I could turn this into some sort of puzzle game, and then port it to Nspire Lua.

Oh man, I'm already sold. If you don't port that to the CE and/or write a PICO-8 emulator for the CE, I'll be very disappointed.
Oh, wow. I just read this and it looks very similar to something I was beginning to make. Time to go back to the drawing board.
Botboy3000 wrote:
Oh, wow. I just read this and it looks very similar to something I was beginning to make. Time to go back to the drawing board.
There's nothing wrong with people's projects going in similar directions; if you can distinguish your projects with unique features, gameplay mechanics, or polish, I think the judges would probably not complain. Smile
Oh, awesome! I can continue my work. Thanks Kerm!
KermMartian wrote:
Oh man, I'm already sold. If you don't port that to the CE and/or write a PICO-8 emulator for the CE, I'll be very disappointed.

This probably won't be making its way to the CE for two reasons:
1) I don't have a CE Sad
2) It's written in Lua and I don't particularly want to port it to C

I do hope I'll have more time to work on it though, and maybe even turn it into a game Razz
Small update: I got switching tracks working! It meant hand entering a bunch of data into a table, but it works. I also revamped how the rail detection works, which allowed me to add the switching.
Awesome! Will you be able to create your own tracks? This is starting to look like a level editor...
Unicorn wrote:
Awesome! Will you be able to create your own tracks? This is starting to look like a level editor...

Yep, I didn't realize that I never made an update post about that. Right now you can place every type of track, including switching tracks, by placing two tracks on top of each other. I'm still not entirely sure how I'm going to turn this into a game. Definitely going to make some sort of puzzle...
Well, I never ended up porting it to the Nspire, and so couldn't enter the contest.
It is finished for PICO-8 though, so you can still play it!
There's no actual game, just happy trains chugging along through a green field.

Play it here: http://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=27594

EDIT: Kerm pointed out that the controls aren't intuitive if you don't know how PICO-8 works Wink
There are two "main" buttons "z" and "x", and then the 4 arrow keys.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours