After some unavoidable delay, the new version of Utilities is mostly ready for release. It might happen later today; some final testing is in order.

For now, here's a small video demonstrating the text editor:
http://s.lowendshare.com/5/1466534440.150.output.mp4
So nice of you coming back and adding this and other features- thank you so much.

Is input interface just for selection and copying purposes or something else like non-printable characters?

Also regarding your special characters interface- is it more than os char dialogue or did you narrow it down instead?

Thanks again
The single-line interface is for copying or cutting text and appears when pressing Shift+8. One should then press Shift+8 again, to begin selecting text, then F1 or F2. Pasting text occurs directly without needing this.

The symbols input feature appears alongside the standard OS character selection dialog. You press F3 (symbol) for entering ASCII symbols (for use e.g. with PicoC or Eigenmath) and F4 for entering multi-byte characters.
Most of the keyboard keys that do not print valid ASCII characters have also been remapped to ASCII symbols, namely those used in the C syntax.
Thanks again.
Hi gbl08ma, regarding renaming g3a files problem - i was hypothesising on another forum that creating them as some other file type and than renaming that file to g3a type only if it would not put this new addin before the addin which does the renaming should work. I wonder if you agree - i played with approach some time ago and it never crashed on me but let me know your thoughts please
There is no way to guarantee that the newly-created file that is going to be renamed to a g3a extension was created at a place in the flash that goes before the currently running g3a. Furthermore, what happens when some sectors go before and others go after the currently running add-in is yet to be studied. Ideally we want to be sure of what happens in each of the following scenarios (C=sector with part of current add-in, A=sector of file that is going to be renamed to g3a, -=other sectors):

--CCC-C---AA-A--- (this probably doesn't crash)
---AA--AA--CCC--- (this probably crashes)
--A-C--A--CC--A- (this probably crashes too?)
--C--A--C-AA-CC- (this might not crash?)

For the order of the add-ins in the main menu, the OS only cares about the first sector of each file. But I'm not sure if the position of the remaining sectors also plays a role in making the add-in crash or not. Finally, this would be coding against implementation details which might change in future OS versions (if they haven't changed already), or might even be different from the emulator to real hardware. Seeing that this messes with the TLB and potentially causes code execution at less-than-recommended addresses I'd not bother.
Makes sense. I was reusing a clone of conversion add-in and the renamings were using addins which would be after it in the menu (as only geometry and pictplot can be before it) - maybe I should retest the whole thing as i cannot remember if i was able to be successful with renaming multiple addins at once this way (I simply cannot remember as i played with it so long ago). Basically i was hoping a relatively safe way would exist by stipulating in which order addins are installed or somethings similarly even if it meant completely wiping the calculator to its initial factory state to ensure the proper installation order from the beginning.

Anyway i was just hoping that combined with serial communication downloading addins directly to prizm from internet could become a reality if we really wanted... On the other hand the serial interface speed may be somewhat limited but i think it would not be so bad
Hi,
Utilities is awesome!!! This was my first and is my favorite add in! Is there any whay that you could combine utilities and something like ptune2 (with permision) because that might make it more useful and popular?
Thanks
I'm glad you like it Smile

Utilities used to have OverClui (my own simple overclocking UI) built-in, but it was phased out in favor of Ptune2. For reasons I have mentioned in other threads, I think it's best if overclocking is limited to a single add-in. I think Ptune2 is already easy enough to use, sentaro21 did a great job, with the function key presets and all.
Thanks! Smile
gbl08ma wrote:
Utilities used to have OverClui (my own simple overclocking UI) built-in, but it was phased out in favor of Ptune2. For reasons I have mentioned in other threads, I think it's best if overclocking is limited to a single add-in. I think Ptune2 is already easy enough to use, sentaro21 did a great job, with the function key presets and all.

Always thank you for wonderful comment. Very Happy
Utilities is the application that I installed since I had Prizm in my hand.
It is always useful for My Prizm life.
Recently,
Text editor became the full screen very usefully.Smile
Except for a few minor quirks related to model detection and icons...

...everything works, including the function key color changer...

...on the fx-CG 50 emulator.

That ABS date is funny.

Compatibility with real hardware is yet to be seen. And things like the Add-In manager are still untested.

EDIT:

PicoC also works and I was able to open the TestMode from there. There are some new options, but they error in one or other way.
The add-in manager appears to work, didn't crash the calc yet. Might be pure luck, or they may have changed something that fixed it.
Great to hear. By icon quirks do you mean main menu add-in icons or those folder and file type bitmaps background visible in one of your screenshots above.

I wish I could run emulator on my windows but it says expired for me straight awat probably because previous manager plus subscription trial was installed before - crazy that it prevents trial of new cg50 emulator impossible - if you know a solution please kindly let me know too.

Thanks for everything again
amazonka wrote:
Great to hear. By icon quirks do you mean main menu add-in icons or those folder and file type bitmaps background visible in one of your screenshots above.

I wish I could run emulator on my windows but it says expired for me straight awat probably because previous manager plus subscription trial was installed before - crazy that it prevents trial of new cg50 emulator impossible - if you know a solution please kindly let me know too.

Thanks for everything again

The quirks, I meant both Smile The file icons one is easy to solve by doing model/OS detection inside the add-in. About the main menu icons, the only solution is to use different g3a for each model, with the main menu icon being the only thing (as far as we know right now) that needs to be different.

Ideally the add-in would be able to rewrite its own header, so it could switch to the right icon the first time it is run. But as we know, on the fx-CG10/20 at least, that sort of g3a writing leads to problems.

I sadly do not know about a solution to emulator licensing problems, for these new subscription model emulators.
Thanks for all this.

Regarding main menu icon i agree it could be a problem writing add-ins in storage memory on the fly.

One technique which i contemplated while working on my G-CLOCK add-in was to have it change its main menu icon directly in the header each time it was run so that the main menu icon was showing current date but without having to recompute check sums etc by utilising empty header areas to store and swap as necessary images there i.e. addresses before 0x1000 and 3000 and 7000 if you know what i mean... basically hoping that just shifting data around in the header around icons data and not touching anything else including checksum could get accepted easier by prizm
gbl08ma wrote:
PicoC also works and I was able to open the TestMode from there. There are some new options, but they error in one or other way.
The add-in manager appears to work, didn't crash the calc yet. Might be pure luck, or they may have changed something that fixed it.

Because there was the anxiety that add-in was not usable,
it is very good news to have been kept compatible of the add-in.Very Happy
amazonka wrote:

I was the same situation, too. Sad
Because there is no help for it, I test it with the other PC.
I have an fx-CG50 with OS 3.30 and would like to create a time module like CPython has. Are the timers and/or clock accessible from Python? If so, how would I do it. If not, is there an add-on that would allow it?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 12 of 12
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours