It has been nearly two months since our Minecraft 1.9 server's official Easter launch, and since then, the playerbase and builds have been growing at a rapid clip. We have weekly Abba matches, two towns have been founded (Arcadia and Monument), millions of blocks have been broken, and settlements have sprung up throughout the map. In fact, although we have by far not yet filled the existing world, players have long since been clamoring for world border expansion. They want new biomes to explore, new caves to spelunk, and ocean monuments and witch huts to build no-doubt server-laggingly-huge machines around. In the interest of keeping the server exciting, we're happy to oblige. At 1pm ET today, May 22nd, we'll be expanding the world border by 500 blocks in each direction, making the overworld map 3500x3500 meters (for the math-inclined, doubling the surface area and volume of our world. With this expansion, it's unlikely that we'll expand much further for the remainder of this map's life, which we estimate at another six to twelve months at least, to encourage people to build elaborate builds and not worry about losing their work. Come explore, enjoy, and scout out where you might want to visit next on our online DynMap map.

To help spur activity and make people aware of the expansion, we're holding the Cemetech Minecraft 1.9 server's first scavenger hunt starting at 2pm ET today, May 22nd. The product of a substantial number of hours of work by the administrators, this scavenger hunt is intended to continue Cemetech's fine tradition of intellectual challenge and exciting Minecraft adventuring. Make no mistake: the clues will be clever and multi-layered, the map will be traversed, and the perils along the way will be great. We encourage teaming up with other players to work together, although you're more than welcome to play alone as well. The hunt is meant to be sufficiently challenging that even if you won't be able to make it to the server until later in the afternoon, the hunt is unlikely to be completed. There are multiple ways to get to the end, and plenty of loot to find along the way, so hop in whenever you can and get a piece for yourself. The first hint will be posted in this topic at 2pm. We look forward to seeing you there!

*bump* The map has been expanded! Hop on the server to explore the newly-doubled map area, and get ready for the scavenger hunt that's set to start in an hour.

Edit: I'm excited to see how this hunt goes. The first clue is below, but before you get to it, some important notes for participating in the hunt:
1) Scavenger hunts are dangerous. PvP is not allowed, but PvE is. Be prepared to meet dangers during the hunt, and be aware that you assume risk by playing.
2) Precision is important. If you find coordinates, assume they're precise unless you find out otherwise. If you dig under a tree or a cliff, dig straight down, or you may miss things. You'll find instructions on signs, and almost all of them will help you. Very few of them will mislead you, and even those will provide useful information.
3) Almost all clues will lead you towards the end. Some clues have multiple shades of meaning. Use your brain, take notes, and don't get discouraged.

In an arid land, a lone tree reaches its roots towards a stale pool of water. Nestled directly beneath its trunk, a long-dead adventure has left clues to find his treasure.
The first location has been found! I don't want to completely give it away, but also don't want to leave everyone scrambling for the location, so I will say this.

The location is not a desert. That is all (: Happy hunting; good luck!

Update, 3:30pm ET:
By the struggle I'm seeing, I'll specify further:
The 1st location is in a mesa; have fun (:
I see a couple of people struggling with one of the clues, where they found a further clue and are trying to figure out what to do next. I have to say not to overthink some of the clues too much. Take them at face value and do what seems obvious. If that doesn't work, then try being more subtle.

Edit: For the people who found a certain clue (you'll know it when you find it), I'd like to append the "Sir Isaac" sentence with the following: "Try a non-great-circle direction."
For those who still haven't found it, the first place in question is at about -92, -1300
Kerm, I dismantled your witch trap this time (completely Razz)

Some screenshots of the clues found there:
http://imgur.com/a/IQT1m
Clues are falling and the loot is starting to come in. Don't worry though, there is still plenty of hunting left to do and people right on my tail. However, I would like to share a few of the chests:

I am also keeping a running chest of all the more interesting loot I have found so far (as in, stuff not readily available in the map), both in chests and around them:

So dimondhunter_12, ydabba, and I (toxiclandscape) teamed up to work on the hunt! With ydabba's help getting two coords to a room, with some direction from me helping dimond get to the room where the loot was located, things worked out Wink Dimond doesn't have an acount here, so I posted for em. Anyways, screenshots of the loot:

Sharp V Knockback X Diamond sword
Protection VI Chestplate
2 Enchanted Golden apples
64 Sticky Pistons (the loot was in a hopper timer)

I'm wondering if we are at the same stage as rivereye, the clue there was pretty vague...
That's a lot of awesome loot, congrats guys!

Wish my internet hadn't killed me off yesterday, and now I feel as if I'm too far behind to be able to catch up. Good luck to those working on the latest of clues.
tifreak8x wrote:
now I feel as if I'm too far behind to be able to catch up. Good luck to those working on the latest of clues.

There's still plenty of undiscovered loot. You should definitely join in!
I just want to mention that although the original rules don't mention it, please don't destroy clues that other people need to solve things, like water/lava flows, signs, chests that contain hints instead of loot, and so on. I spent a great deal of time yesterday fixing such things, and arguing with contestants who felt that my instructions on leaving things intact were wrong. Please strike a balance between looking for any hidden treasure and letting other people compete: feel free to destroy things, but put back all the clues as they were when you arrived before you leave.

Edit: Hint time! In several programming languages, $ is a prefix that means hexadecimal. You need to convert the number after a $ out of hexadecimal into decimal.
Found this!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Enchants:
Helmet- Protection VI, Respiration IV, Aqua Affinity III
Leggings- Protection V, Thorns IV
Boots- Protection V, Feather Falling VI, Depth Strider IV
Pick axe- Unbreaking V, Efficiency V, Silk Touch
Shovel- Unbreaking V, Efficiency V, Silk Touch
Axe- Unbreaking V, Efficiency V, Silk Touch
You should mention what enchantments are on those tools and armor.

Edit: Also, I'll let you guys know when the hunt is over.
I would like to further add that I have found the location as well, and also took it a step further by locating the next area. I took some of the loot (it's quite good stuff, by the way) but left a ton of stuff. In fact, I would like to argue I left most of the stuff for the next lucky person to find. Indeed, the hunt is still very much still on. Best wishes!

VICTORY!

The final chest:

and, the running chest:

Enchants:
Chest 1: Protection VI
Chest 2: Protection V, Mending, Thorns IV
Boots: Protection V, Feather Falling VI, Mending, Depth Strider IV (btw, Depth III is max, VI doesn't do anything)
Legs: Protection V, Mending, Thorns IV
Pick 1: Unbreaking V, Efficiency III, Fortune III (really, this is a final prize?)
Pick 2: Unbreaking V, Silk Touch, Efficiency V
Axe: Unbreaking V, Silk Touch, Efficiency V,
Shovel: Unbreaking V, Efficiency V, Silk Touch
Bow: Infinity, Flame, Punch IV, Power VI
Books (in order, 1 each): Thorns III, Depth Strider III, Fortune III, Looting III, Power V, Sharpness V, Lure III, Luck of the Sea III

Also, if you are not familiar with the spawn eggs,

1 Ghast, 1 Mooshroom, 2 Ocelots, 2 Wolfs, 3 Horses, 1 Shulker.
Heads: 2 Dragon, 2 Zombie, 1 Creeper, 1 Skele, 1 Wither Skele, and 8 Normal.
Congratulations!!! Good Idea Very Happy
Quote:
Boots: Protection V, Feather Falling VI, Mending, Depth Strider IV (btw, Depth III is max, VI doesn't do anything)
Pick 1: Unbreaking V, Efficiency III, Fortune III (really, this is a final prize?)
That was supposed to be Efficiency V, but sorry for the insufficient prize, I guess? Razz

Congratulations, Rivereye! I look forward to calling the end of the hunt.
Great job, Rivereye! I can't help feeling a little jealous, but who isn't? Razz Anyways, can't wait to see what the clue answers were, and I look forward to the next hunt!
KermMartian wrote:
Quote:
That was supposed to be Efficiency V, but sorry for the insufficient prize, I guess? Razz

Congratulations, Rivereye! I look forward to calling the end of the hunt.

You asked for comments. And, it wasn't the Efficiency there that got me (it was low, but I don't use Fortune enough except here and there), but I guess it was more the Fortune Aspect being obtainable by everyone. Ah well.

Unicorn wrote:
Great job, Rivereye! I can't help feeling a little jealous, but who isn't? Razz Anyways, can't wait to see what the clue answers were, and I look forward to the next hunt!

I plan on posting the answers I have once the hunt is officially called to be over. This way people can see where they feel they might have fallen short for some odd reason (I know I had a couple of face palmers as I went along)[/quote]
First and foremost, I would like to give a big, warm thank you to KermMartian for investing many hours of his time into what I personally believe is the best treasure hunt I have done on this server in terms of both the clue creativity, depth to the hunt, and attention to aesthetic detail. I have great respect for you taking the time to make this, and being patient with everyone. I would like to also thank the following people who also participated in the hunt and helped me in one way or another in the journey it's been: Pizzabboy, Rivereye, and LittleMoonBeam. Congrats to Rivereye on also figuring out the subtle hint in the room LittleMoonBeam found-- congrats on that! (Sorry that you just missed the "grand treasure"). I would also like to give a special thanks to a member of Cemetech, Adriweb for helping out with our $316 clue.

I would assume that the hunt is now officially over, but I will leave that to KermMartian to have the pleasure of calling the end of the hunt, if that is the case. Nonetheless, this has been a fantastic hunt, and I have very much I would like to say about it as far as things I liked, my struggles, and possibly some aspects I believe could be improved upon for an even greater hunt next time. For now, I would like to share my latest findings.

Congratulations, Elemental, Rivereye, LittleMoonBeam, and all of the participants, including Ydabba, tifreak8x, ACagliano, ToxicLandscape, DimondHunter_12, and many others. The hunt is officially now over. I'll be posting a postmortem soon with some of the interesting experiences I had creating and moderating the hunt, a few lessons I learned for next time, and a few takeaways with how people guessed and how people behaved that I'd be interested in imparting for everyone's edification.

Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours