Strangely, I was just wishing I had a laptop. When I got home, we did. (Sort of...)

It needs a keyboad and hard drive. When it was working, the lcd was like a tv lacking v-hold (I think one of the connections was loose, but if not, it still has montor and tv out.) The keyboad helps hold the board the lcd is hooked to into its plug on the motherboard (there isn't any clips or anything).

Do all laptop hds use the same plug? 9its not hard for me to get a hd for it)

But I'm not sure about getting a keyboard though, or if its even worth i.

Any ideas on how to charge it? I dont have the cord for it. (takes 19v ac adapter) The battery died while we were testing it. (Linux was booting off a cd when it ran out)

If it's not worth it to try to fix, oh well... It was free.

I'll attach a picture when I manage to upload one.
Give us some specs. And power supplies are easy to whip up - what's the mA rating on the underside? how about that (+)-()-(-) symbol? Which is inside and which is outside (+ or -).
laptop hdd's are 2.5" drives that (as far as i know) all use the same connector...

as for the PSU - i'd just buy a replacement off the manufacturer (or ebay) than try to whip up your own
Eh, I suppose.
Kllrnohj wrote:
laptop hdd's are 2.5" drives that (as far as I know) all use the same connector...

as for the PSU - I'd just buy a replacement off the manufacturer (or ebay) than try to whip up your own

I have seen lappy drives that haven't used the standerd connector. My toughbook for example.
rivereye wrote:
I have seen lappy drives that haven't used the standerd connector. My toughbook for example.

oops...toughbook i'd consider a "specialty" notebook tho...

@Bombu, take out the old one (hdd) and look up the model number - should tell you the connector used/needed (or look up the laptop's model number)
Yeah; if it's 44-pin, you should be set Cool

Also, there are quite a few laptops out there with non-standard connectors...always good to double-check Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
rivereye wrote:

oops...toughbook I'd consider a "specialty" notebook tho...

@Bombu, take out the old one (hdd) and look up the model number - should tell you the connector used/needed (or look up the laptop's model number)

I got the impression it was completely HDD-less.
Quote:
Do all laptop hds use the same plug? 9its not hard for me to get a hd for it)

Yeah...so he doesn't have a HD.
Okay now Bombu, if you could take a picture of the inside of the slot where the hard drive goes and make sure that you get a good pic of the connector itself and post it here Wink
Yeah, that would help.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
if you could take a picture of the inside of the slot where the hard drive goes

It's that space right in the middle of the board. (thumbnail pic below)

I'm adding some pics now, I'm also going to get the info you asked for.

Pavilion N5425 Notebook (AMD) - (F3924H):

HD Plug:

I need:

0950-3988 Part is not orderable in the HP Parts Store.
Ultra slim AC adapter for OmniBooks - Input voltage 100-240VAC, 47-63Hz, 100-200VA, 1.5 amps - Output voltage 19VDC, 3.30 amps, 60 watts - Does NOT include AC power cord

8120-6313 Part is orderable, please call 1-800-227-8164 for availability. $12.64 CDN
Power cord (Black) - 2-wire, 18 AWG, 1.8m (6.0ft) long - Has straight (F) C7 receptacle (for 120V in USA, Canada, Mexico, Latin America, and Taiwan)

F2111-60956 Part is not orderable in the HP Parts Store.
Hard disk drive carrier/case kit - Holds hard disk drive - Includes bracket, strap, connector, and mounting screws

F2111-60915 Part is in stock. $43.40 CDN
Keyboard (US English)

I can't afford
V V V V V V V

F3257-69501 Part is in stock. $501.00 CDN (No Way In H__L!)
(Restored 0950-4318)
Return of defective core required. (For discount to $75 CDN)
20.0GB hard disk drive - 4200 RPM, 2.5in form factor, 9.5mm thick - (IBM 07N8325) - HDD case/carrier kit not included

Hopefully I don't need a new lcd. They're betwen $500 - $566 CDN.[/quote]
That is bloody insane!!!!! Have you ebayed any of the items?? Maybe try Pricewatch.com...
I've never used ebay (fear of being riped off / getting broken stuff) and I'll check price watch. maybe I don't need a new lcd, it could of been loose. I can get an hd from the bargain finder for < $40.

EDIT: Specifications

Memory: 255MB
Maximum Memory: 512MB
Expansion: 2 PCMIA Sockets
CPU & ChipSet: AMD Duron 900 MHz
Bus Architecture: PC Card

After looking at Pricewatch, Kahlon had the best prices out of the 2 companies that showed up. (Although the prices are in U.S. Once I convert them, I'll check them against the prices from HP.
Bombu - that $500+ figure is INCORRECT. That is for a new core: a mobo and cpu. You only need a new hard drive, ~$100 or less.
Then you can't buy a hd separately from them. All of the products in the HD category said the same.
(Return of Defective Core required)
* Unless you want to pay the huge price
You don't have to buy HP parts. Second Google result:
http://www.bixnet.com/1025innothar.html
$79.
Quote:
We ship orders to Canada addresses through U.S. Post Office's "Global Express Mail" serivce or UPS Next Day Air/2nd Day Air Service. Since UPS charges US$50 flat broker fee for UPS ground servie, UPS ground service is not a good choice for small orders.

Warning : Canadian customers are responsible for any customs or duties that may applicable. Canada Customs and Post Office may delay the shipment for all imports from USA using Global Express Mail service.

I wish I knew how much the Air/2nd Day Air Service was. (Probably not cheaper than ground)

I think I'll stick with Bargain Finder for a hd. Much cheaper.
Bombu wrote:
I've never used ebay (fear of being riped off / getting broken stuff) and I'll check price watch. maybe I don't need a new lcd, it could of been loose. I can get an hd from the bargain finder for < $40.

i doubt someone would try to rip you off on old stuff like this, so i would go ahead and at least try looking there
Here's everything you should need Bombu:
http://www.laptopparts.com/hp_laptop_parts/pavilion/n5425/default.asp
Kllrnohj wrote:
Bombu wrote:

I doubt someone would try to rip you off on old stuff like this, so I would go ahead and at least try looking there

I tired ebay, only found complete laptops, batteries and recovery cds.

@ Ult Dev: It seems to be US only. It doesn't have provinces and doesn't support Canadian postal codes. Thanks anyway.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours