Uh, I thought Opera was the browser with the built-in proxy that let you reduce your data?

Basically you are asking for WAP in terms of data usage. (WAP is what was used in the flip phones just 10 years ago.) There is actually a WAP theme available for phpBB, but you'd have to convince enough people to get Kerm to put it in.
We'll break this down just like PT_ did.

CalcMax wrote:
I need all those data saving features so that the data usage is miniscule enough for me to use some whacky background data excuse if my father sees anything noticeably higher in terms of data transfer on the phone bill.

Quote:
I could use it to post photos of my projects without the need to take the SD card from my camera and transfer photos from that to Cemetech.

1. Uploading photos would take more bandwidth than loading numerous Cemetech pages.
    • Browsing a few pages with the inspector open, the average page size for the forum is about 400kb. The exception being those topics with pictures, like this topic coming in at 1.24MB.
  2. Cemetech doesn't support direct uploads of photos/attachments. This feature isn't likely to be implemented either.

Quote:
The app should also have archive download built in so that I can get programs and put them directly into wabbitemu.

Bruh. Our Archives are, roughly speaking, 600MB when compressed. So you're saying you'd want to all the programs included in this app you "need" because you may want to use a few in WabbitEmu. Yeah but no. The app size without all the programs would be about 2MB? No one in their right mind would then throw in 600MB of apps. The programs from the archives are super small to begin with, the calculators don't have that much memory. It's not like two or three programs are going to kill your data plan.

Quote:
For photos/videos, I want them displayed in max quality when my phone is on wifi or a wired connection.

Yeah, about that. Cemetech will not download the images then resize them before those images get passed to your phone. We limit photos to 500px wide but that's not gunna stop someone from uploading a 3000px wide photo and sharing it with an [img] tag. When I share photos from imgur or Flickr, I always choose to share a smaller version so those with dial-up-like speeds can load the pages faster and for the folks on mobile. But it will never be Cemetechs responsibility to resize and rehost linked photos.

This is not an app feature. If the app did that, it'd still download a giant photo only to resize it on your device. The Cemetech backend does not have the system in place to support this. Similarly to the photo/attachement uploading, this is will not be implemented.

Quote:
Some tablets also work with ethernet adapters, and I want the app to be compatible with that to.

That's on your tablet, not the app. If the tablet doesn't work with an ethernet adapter then the app can't magically make it work. All the tablet does with the ethernet adapter is say "Oh, I need to route all out going data to this!" and voila. All apps will then use the adapter.
Cemetech works very well even on mobile phones. If data usage bothers you then don't use it; wait till you have access to wi-fi. Also use ublock origin.

Even the best mobile app or best mobile website will never be as good as browsing on a PC.
I will just use cemetech on my phone using Opera if you guys aren't going to make an app. I just had some wishful thinking. When I use my phone at home, I have USB internet (that is what prevents my 250mb data plan from blowing up like an atom bomb). Also, I found a public wifi hotspot on the way to school that offers 15 min of really fast internet, thus I don't need to worry about the data plan at all. I personally think that, if you guys really DON'T have time to make an app, then Kerm could make the mobile site a bit more ergonomic. I don't expect PC quality browsing, but I do expect the at least the hyperlinks are bigger on phones/tablets. This isn't much of a concern for a 7 or 10.1 inch tablet, but is definitely a VALID ergonomic concern for 4 inch phones like my Lenovo A369i. I also hope that someone makes cemetech more data efficient for phones because my mobile data connection sucks (0.16mb/s download is max if I am lucky). Cemetech loads really fast when I am on USB internet (just under 70mb/s download)! I personally think that Cemetech should have an app-style mobile web interface like the mobile interface for facebook or linked in. I could the easily browse without having my wrist fall off from having to pinpoint my finger on small links. I hope that Cemetech's mobile site really gets improved!
CalcMax wrote:
I don't expect PC quality browsing, but I do expect the at least the hyperlinks are bigger on phones/tablets.

That sounds more reasonable. Maybe it's an option to post in the Suggestions thread?
Ok, I will put this all in the suggestions thread at a later point (when I have enough time to type up an extensive suggestion post). Thanks for that idea Smile.
CalcMax wrote:
Stop with the jokes please!

A small note: An unwritten rule of the Internet that might be valid on Cemetech more than certain other TI community sites is meritocracy:

Quote:
Allow us to introduce you to the concept of a “meritocracy” – the closest thing to a form of self-government we have. In The United Meritocratic nation-states of the Internet, those who can do, rule. Those who wish to rule, learn. Everyone else watches from the stands.

In other words, if you constantly reprimand people who have been around for longer than you (in this case, anybody who joined Cemetech before January 18th 2016) or act like if you are above them, then don't expect to be taken seriously by everyone.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/welcome-to-the-internet (kllrnohj linked a few times to that text in the past)

Back on-topic, I think the site navigation is fine on mobile. Certain links like the Welcome back box could be bigger, with shorter text on mobile, but I don't know if it would look that good.
CalcMax wrote:
I don't expect PC quality browsing, but I do expect the at least the hyperlinks are bigger on phones/tablets.

Cant you just zoom in? (double tap, spread two fingers, use settings to zoom in, other accessibility features)
I
CalcMax wrote:
also hope that someone makes cemetech more data efficient for phones because my mobile data connection sucks (0.16mb/s download is max if I am lucky).

The low download speeds are on you, not much cemetech can or will do about that, as comic has said.
CalcMax wrote:
Cemetech loads really fast when I am on USB internet (just under 70mb/s download)! I personally think that Cemetech should have an app-style mobile web interface like the mobile interface for facebook or linked in.

Wishful thinking, because it will take months to develop and only you want it, as comic has already said.
CalcMax wrote:
Stop with the jokes please!

I missed this so let me weigh in.

We do not condone the trollish and unhelpful/joking behavior other members have displayed in your topics and we'd like that to stop. However, there are steps you can take to turn this around and hopefully between the Cemetech Staff and yourself, we can make this a more enjoyable place for everyone.

We don't owe you anything. It's not anyones place to demand we, the Cemetech Staff, to make a dedicated mobile phone app. Whether it comes from you or myself. Why is that? Unless you're willing to put in the work, or proving beyond a doubt that such a thing is beneficial, it's not going to happen. As PT_ said again, post in the suggestions topic. Some times the Staff like a suggestion and we'll act on it but more often than not we dismiss the suggestion.

The staff are volunteers on Cemetech. This isn't our job. We don't get paid. We'll work on things if there is merit and in our own time. If others want to help out because they can then that's even better.

Please, for your sake and our community here, think things through. Use the search to find other topics. We do advise against posting in old topics, or necroposting, but as long as your post is on-topic or the issue presented in the topic is relevant to you then necroposting is acceptable.

Additionally please back up your claims. You really set a bad name for yourself when you waltzed in with your 40Mhz topic. We all took you for a fool and when you kept saying more outlandish stuff everyone started to believe that you were either here to troll us or that you wanted to pretend you know your stuff. You were called out on it, everyone wanted proof but you pushed back saying that you couldn't and giving various excuses and insisted we believe you. The air around your name stuck. You may be a smart kid but you present yourself the wrong way.

By thinking things through and from being a constructive poster everyone will start changing their attitudes towards you. Good Idea
I don't demand anything. I am just suggesting things. I will listen to all your suggestions! Thanks. Nobody ever taught me forum etiquette Sad Sad
It's never too late to learn. Wink The sooner, the better. And I speak from experience. When I joined MaxCoderz in September 2003, I misbehaved for about 8 months before finally shaping up (my main problem is that I shameless-plugged my calculator games too often as an agressive attempt to show that decent games could be made in TI-BASIC and made too many topics that could have been kept into a smaller amount), but then it took until 5 months later, when two of my games made ticalc.org front page, before most people start taking me seriously.
Heck, I don't misbehave intentionally. Also, that overclocking topic was put up a little prematurely Sad. I personally believe that that hack works, but since it was getting recently quit unstable, i got rid of the OC all together. I also have a problem with Cemetech members purposefully ruining my topics and erasing curious questions that I posted in topics that are hard to understand. Now, that portion of ''bad'' Cemetech members can be problematic and I will have to deal with them, though Kerm (who is one of the ''good'' members) decided to side with the ''bad'' in one topic that he and a few others ruined after multiple less experienced members praised me. Now, I have had a topic go missing. I think Kerm deleted it for fun and I am quite mad Surprised and sad(missing topic about hacking a gps:https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php%3Ft%3D12685&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwi04-bszdnMAhVILsAKHbr_DOUQFggIMAE&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNEw1bKCpTxJAj0CdkX5cWnwXLb_EQ was deleted)..... I think we need a special topic called ''Help for new members'' to discuss this.
CalcMax, is it possible you deleted your post by mistake? Sometimes it can happens when the mobile screen is not locked. Sometimes people remove their posts for some valid reasons too. Best wishes
CalcMax wrote:
... though Kerm (who is one of the ''good'' members) decided to side with the ''bad'' in one topic that he and a few others ruined after multiple less experienced members praised me.

What? You even say it yourself, "less experienced members praised" you. Does it not occur to you that they may not be, as it's put, experienced. Kerm knows his stuff. If he says something isn't feasible then it is very likely not feasible. However, when he is proved wrong he admits his mistake.

Quote:
Cemetech members can be problematic and I will have to deal with them

No. I edited your post to removed the username of the Cemetech member you called out for harassing you. Sharing that sort of information publicly with others isn't the way to solve a problem, in fact it'll lead to more problems.

The best way to resolve these problems is to PM an Admin and don't share any information with others. You can admit on posts that you "don't see eye to eye with {user}" or "don't get along with {user}" but to mention what they did is not acceptable.

Lastly, dealing with Cemetech members on your own is a good start to get yourself banned. We will not tolerate a member who pushes multiple members from our site. I don't think it's happened yet but heed this as a forewarning.

This goes for everyone here, If you have problems with any user PM an Admin. If you have problems with an Admin, PM another Admin and be upfront about it.

Quote:
I think Kerm deleted it for fun

This doesn't happen. We delete topics which do not fit our "Quality over Quantity" mantra. We don't delete topics, or posts, for entertainment. These include topics that are redundant, such as they have a designated topic "Introduce Yourself!," "Photoshop & Gimp Thread," etc etc. There are other topics that don't have anything constructive and keeping these topics would serve no purpose to the forum.

In summary though, it's really you who is problematic. Our members don't need to change, you do.
Shape up or ship out. Idea
Basically, everything comic said is correct. The user who sent the PM was abusive, and the behavior that triggered the PM is also abusive. This topic is a shirt-show and should have long been locked.

Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours