Three weeks ago, we reported on a TI Education post on Facebook teasing two new TI-84 Plus CE colors, one of which we knew was gold, the other of which we speculated was white. Now, TI has announced in a press release that the new TI-84 Plus CE colors are indeed white ("Bright White") and gold ("Golden Ratio") (insert tempting but tired white/gold versus black/blue joke here). This editor feels that the white and gold cases trade the fun of the brighter colors for a more classy, refined look. Are you planning to get one or both of the new colors, or do you prefer Radical Red, Lightning Blue, or one of their brightly-colored brethren? You will be able to buy these "limited edition" colors around Back-to-School.

I was going to make the black/blue joke but too late...
Oh snap! Those colors are so fresh Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
Three weeks ago, we reported on a TI Education post on Facebook teasing two new TI-84 Plus CE colors, one of which we knew was gold, the other of which we speculated was white. Now, TI has announced in a press release that the new TI-84 Plus CE colors are indeed white ("Bright White") and gold ("Golden Ratio") (insert tempting but tired white/gold versus black/blue joke here). This editor feels that the white and gold cases trade the fun of the brighter colors for a more classy, refined look. Are you planning to get one or both of the new colors, or do you prefer Radical Red, Lightning Blue, or one of their brightly-colored brethren? You will be able to buy these "limited edition" colors around Back-to-School.

They remind me French TI 83 Premium CE equivalent - black top as on gold, white keyboard background - I find this combination most legible and think it is good to see more white versions. I hope the golden one will not be rubbing off easily too.
amazonka wrote:
I hope the golden one will not be rubbing off easily too.
From getting to handle the gold one at TI's T^3 conference, it felt more like metallicized plastic than painted plastic, so hopefully it will be pretty durable.
Is disassembling of those calculators and swapping faceplates easy, or do they use glue or other things making it risky?
On the CSE they had easily interchangeable faceplates, so how come not on the CE, or am i missing something?
The white one reminds me of iDevices Razz

If I could afford it, I would get the gold TI-84 Plus CE.
I was not aware of this debate until now. Really there ought not be a debate. When one chooses to analyze the RGB values of said clothes we find that part of it has values consistently at or above 128 for the white (actually gray) parts and colors that are gold (the red and green channels are around 2 times the value of the blue channel).

I think the real reason why people see it as blue and black is because their monitor are not good. If you do a histogram stretch [100,255] using gimp's levels feature you can make it look blue and black.
amazonka wrote:
Is disassembling of those calculators and swapping faceplates easy, or do they use glue or other things making it risky?

The pcb is melted into the front cover, so you can swap the back cover pretty easily, but not the front. I was unable to separate the top and bottom sections of the front cover without melting or cutting any plastic. I might be taking the ce completely apart sometime in the future though.

I wonder what colors the back cover and the slide case are for both calculators, as it has been misleading in the past, the black ce is actually mostly white. If it is similar to the 83 pce then I expect the white ce to have a black back cover and slide case.
On french equivalent back and cover are black, so only keyboard is white
earthnite wrote:
amazonka wrote:

The pcb is melted into the front cover, so you can swap the back cover pretty easily, but not the front. I was unable to separate the top and bottom sections of the front cover without melting or cutting any plastic. I might be taking the ce completely apart sometime in the future though.
For the curious, you can see it more clearly in the photo of the interior I put on our TI-84 Plus CE page. Each of those little red dots is a melted plastic pillar holding the PCB in.
KermMartian wrote:
For the curious, you can see it more clearly in the photo of the interior I put on our TI-84 Plus CE page. Each of those little red dots is a melted plastic pillar holding the PCB in.

Thats quite a poor design from a repair standpoint. I know it's newer and thinner than a TI-84+, but still, most modern devices, even cheap cellphones, have some way to separate the PCB from the case and put it back together. I wish TI would focus more on repairability in their design; I feel like since they know people rely on their calculators nearly without competition they do whatever they want regardless of long-lasting durability.
The design is nice though, I do like the idea of a metallized gold colored one.
I'm a bit sad that it is harder then I hoped to swap faces on it. If someone can design full white front with just English keyboard layout I could upload to decalgirl.com - I would be very grateful. This would give the possibility to have even more colours via stickers (and replace my French writing - some of the actual keys will still be in French but I could customize the sticker to avoid confusion as well).

There used to be some stickers for prizms as well but I missed out on the offer (I believe it was just in America) and Prizm keyboard has no space for sticker between the keys so it is not as customizable as TI's one... still has anyone got the digital copy of them so that I could design something customized for Prizm too to be ordered via decalgirl or similar please
What is the name/type of the screwdriver needed to take off the screws on the back panel please.

Also on https://www.cemetech.net/tools/ti84pce#specs micro-usb reference should be replaced with mini-usb - kind of strange TI opted for this given that non-apple standard for mobile charging is micro-usb...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours